Respirtory infections on Mariner 1/16?

emttl73

My Boyfriend and I were on the Mariner and managed to not get the Noro-virus but we ended up sicker than we have ever been before. When we arrived in port I was feeling a little short of breath and by the next morning I was in the ER with chest pain, coughing, shortness of breath. They ruled out a heart attack (thank God) and gave me an anitbotic and steroid. My boyfriend came down with the same thing a day later. I am still taking breathing treatments every four hours at home and am not allowed to go to work because I am too sick. I was wondering if anyone else has had similar problems from the cruise that week?

Did you ask your Doctor about the incubation period of the illness you had?

Could you have contracted it prior to boarding the Mariner?

Did you disembark the Mariner at any port?

Do you desire a quorum on this board so you could place BLAME and possibly hold Royal Caribbean responsible????

I DO NOT get the point of your post.

Please enlighten CC members.

Steve

My Boyfriend and I were on the Mariner and managed to not get the Noro-virus but we ended up sicker than we have ever been before. When we arrived in port I was feeling a little short of breath and by the next morning I was in the ER with chest pain, coughing, shortness of breath. They ruled out a heart attack (thank God) and gave me an anitbotic and steroid. My boyfriend came down with the same thing a day later. I am still taking breathing treatments every four hours at home and am not allowed to go to work because I am too sick. I was wondering if anyone else has had similar problems from the cruise that week?

Can we stop making threads about the 1/16 sailing of the Mariner. I doubt you got a respiratory infection from the Mariner. If you became more ill than what the Norwalk virus has to offer, than maybe you have staphylococcal food poisoning...but highly doubt it....

It sounds like you may have picked up something before boarding the ship. Did you perhaps fly to port? Airplanes recycle their air so you could catch something there quite easily. This time of year all kinds of nasty bugs are floating around and one of them found you. I hope you feel better.

It sounds like you may have picked up something before boarding the ship. Did you perhaps fly to port? Airplanes recycle their air so you could catch something there quite easily. This time of year all kinds of nasty bugs are floating around and one of them found you. I hope you feel better.

My thoughts exactly :)

###

Yes I did ask my doctor and most likely we were exposed during the time we were on the cruise. We became aware of the people around us and there were a lot of people sick with colds and such. I understand we just got a flu type thing but we got so sick I just wanted to make sure there isn't something more I should know about. My doctor is actually stumped by how sick we were. I have a right to ask a question.

If you do a search on respirtory infections on cruises (even the CDC), there are a lot of serious illness that have gone around on various ships including TB, Legionella, etc. We used hot tubs which are breeding grounds for these diseases.

I am not looking to place blame on anyone, in fact I have been in contact with customer relations and have not asked for anything except to notify them how sick we were.

I was looking for help not criticism! You all aren't very nice.

I personally wasn't trying to be mean! I usually end up sick 50% of the time I fly, my Grandmother gets sick EVERY time she flies. I was just wondering if you flew to the port.

You are a new poster whose first post was a compliant, that alone sends off warning signs.

Hope you are feeling better.

###

You are a new poster whose first post was a compliant, that alone sends off warning signs.

Hope you are feeling better.

###

PC is right. Unfortunately, most people who post anything "bad" as their first post tend to get trashed. As this is a forum for people who love to cruise we are all a little sensitive to criticism. We love our cruises and our ccruise lines.

God help us for being so addicted!

Long live sailin on the high seas!

Tammy:cool:

Look, it's just human nature to think that you've asked your doctor about this and HE'S stumped, so you naturally and logically come to the Cruise Critic board for more information, the logical number one source for medical infomation.

So many people were sick with colds and flu around you during the Norwalk flu, which the cruise lines are also OBLIGATED to report, at the same time there is another outbreak of virus/flu, that YOU are the ONLY one since then to even mention it.

Hey, please don't "angry face"me, this is what alot of folks here are thinking. We get plenty of people who are just plain ANGRY at a line because something is their fault, or others that simply try to "bait" us.

Please don't misunderstand, just GET BETTER. And I REALLY am sorry that you could not enjoy "the BEST Vacation on Earth"

After all, I leave in one day, and I'M SCARED TO DEATH OF THE BUBONIC PLAGUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Steve

Hey Canuk-

Once you post...you are OUT THERE for everyone. Nasty and pleasant alike. NO ONE wants ANYONE to be sick on a cruise, but I've been sick on land, sea and air, and NEVER looked to anyone other than my dr. for advice and/or cure.

I thank you for being her champion, but I have plenty of other things to do. DO YOU?

Steve (who actually posts a picture and history in their signature)

I was on the 1/16/05 sailing of the Mariner. I did not get sick with Norwalk virus and I did not get sick with a respitory infection either. I had a fantastic, wonderful, superior, unbelievable, glorious, tremendous, earth-shattering, awesome, "get out there" week on the Mariner.

The only thing that could make that trip better "in my mind" would be for everyone on these boards to stop bringing up the illness and other negative issues from that week.

Deal with it...."ship happens"

Actually, if you read the OP's post, she was asking if anyone else had similar problems that were not Norwalk related. I don't think it's too much to ask to give her a civil answer.

Some of the attempts at humor on this thread are becoming boorish.

YIKES!

In my humble, yet newbie opinion.....you have as much chance of contracting some weird airborne "bug/virus" at your local mall, restaurant, movie theatre ....and...well, you get the picture....

Bottom line is this: If we don't want to risk catching anything....someone should start building "bubbles" and selling them on Ebay :(

I'm sorry you were sick ......but hey, it could have happend anywhere....

Hey Historybuffer-

I have not seen ANY attempts at humor on this thread thus far, I DID however, see you say something about how YOUR answer was "quite nice"

Are you afraid of disagreeing without being "quite nice"?

So, where WAS the humor....or maybe you just can't recognize it???

(and I can't say I've seen this in you before)

Steve

See, if YOU are gonna be so damned NICE..........

Thanks Robyn, if you insist on revealing my soft side....

I mean...no....i ....hate you....you are all wrong about everything....I mean......

alright I guess I'm not so mean.

But it's fun to try!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have a great cruise too. I hope the lunacy (of which I am proud to be a sponsor) has helped you to prepare for the greatest vacation you can imagine. And I didn't even WANT to cruise.

Love, Steve and Tammy

(and how does this signature not apply to the flaming I was trying to give?)

See, if YOU are gonna be so damned NICE..........

Thanks Robyn, if you insist on revealing my soft side....

I mean...no....i ....hate you....you are all wrong about everything....I mean......

alright I guess I'm not so mean.

But it's fun to try!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have a great cruise too. I hope the lunacy (of which I am proud to be a sponsor) has helped you to prepare for the greatest vacation you can imagine. And I didn't even WANT to c...ruise.

Love, Steve and Tammy

(and how does this signature not apply to the flaming I was trying to give?)

Lunacy huh?

Gee.......I never would have guessed :confused:

I'm sorry to hear you got sick. I guess on the bright side (if there is one?!?!?), it was after the cruise that you became symptomatic -- so at least you got to enjoy the cruise.

Since the cruise is seven days long, it's very hard to say whether you would have been exposed on board or prior to your departure. If you feel confident in your physician, I would listen to him/her and just go with what s/he has to say about it.

Wishing you a very speedy recovery! :o

Hey Historybuffer-

I have not seen ANY attempts at humor on this thread thus far, I DID however, see you say something about how YOUR answer was "quite nice"

Are you afraid of disagreeing without being "quite nice"?

So, where WAS the humor....or maybe you just can't recognize it???

(and I can't say I've seen this in you before)

Steve

You're right. Nothing you have said has been funny so far.

I think that the OP just wanted an answer to the question. Not sarcasm and accusations.

Which reminds us all to take our Airbourne! I've got mine in my purse so we can take it every couple hours during our flight.

Archived