Carnival Freedom stop in Ocho Rios Help Please

marcyjane

I posted this on the ports of call board, but always seem to get more reponse here.

I have heard of an area to shop right close to where the ship docks called Island Village. Want to know how far to walk from the dock. Also heard that is pretty safe.

Will people be on the street along the way to the village wanting to stop us to buy things or give them money and will it be safe for 55+ ladies by themselves.

Thanks,

Marcy

I posted this on the ports of call board, but always seem to get more reponse here.

I have heard of an area to shop right close to where the ship docks called Island Village. Want to know how far to walk from the dock. Also heard that is pretty safe.

Will people be on the street along the way to the village wanting to stop us to buy things or give them money and will it be safe for 55+ ladies by themselves.

Thanks,

Marcy

Island village is a tourist rip off. Just off the Freedom 2 weeks ago and we go to the other place.Its all the crafts and carvings made by the jamaican people.We have been going there for years.

You can walk there,its a few hundred feet behind the beach shown in the picture,but we just take a cab over. We tell them its the craft market directly across the street from Burger king.

This place is also very safe as tourists are their life blood.They all ask to look at their shop but a simple no thank you is all it takes.They are not pushy either and their prices are 25% of the island village

Steve

I found island villiage to be very expensive.

We walked to the end of the Island Village and crossed the street- turned left and there is a wonderful outdoor mall located there that sold much of the stuff at island villiage for a lot less money

Last October on the Liberty, we were docked a bit further away from that dock. It was a dock along a hillside and not very picturesque with no shopping on or very near the pier. There was a Princess ship docked at that other dock though, not sure if that had anything to do with why we docked further away, and not sure if this was a one time event or not. To the OP, I hope that you dock at the one that is pictured above! Seems mucn nicer than where we were.

Cruised here in May, shopped at TajMahal, a little expensive, they try to get you to buy and follow you around the store, prices on the merchandise is higher than what they will sell it to you for example, a crocheted hat was marked $29.99 and they sold it to me for $15.00. Remember Jamaican money is way less than U.S. dollars, ex. $1.00 JMD = 0.0117440 U.S. dollars or a little over a penny.

As for safety, I never felt "afraid' so to speak, but a little uncomfortable. My husband was w/me and we were waiting in "safe" port area waiting to board a van to Bamboo Beach, he boarded the van ahead of me and when he did, 4 other bus drivers pulled my elbow back into their little circle and mumbled something about "hey, good looking" and my mama? :eek: Needless to say I shot to the van and informed my husband to stay behind me from now on! I am 44. Next time to Jamaica, I'll be traveling w/ my 2 sons who are both 6'5 and 280lbs.! We were also approached walking back to the ship if we smoked marijuana by a local, my DH told him kindly "No, mon, just janja!" lol:D

My advice is just to be aware of your surroundings and be firm, but respectful with your actions, such as a firm "no", I only want that one" or just "No, thank you" and keep moving. And stay together, always!

Happy Sailing

Last October on the Liberty, we were docked a bit further away from that dock. It was a dock along a hillside and not very picturesque with no shopping on or very near the pier. There was a Princess ship docked at that other dock though, not sure if that had anything to do with why we docked further away, and not sure if this was a one time event or not. To the OP, I hope that you dock at the one that is pictured above! Seems mucn nicer than where we were.

I'll bet it looked a lot like this ...

DCP_0422.jpg

Hey that is the dock we were at years ago. Nasty wasn't it. They had some bigger ships come in that needed the other area. They took us in by vans. I went to the staw market. I hated it It just felt evil to me. They were very pushy. Did so some of the shops and the prices while not cheap were about what I expected to pay. Just stay together and be bold right back when they bother you.

Archived