Venice Restaurants

DCParky

I'm sailing on the NCL Gem on July 24th and will be spending a couple of days pre cruise in Venice. Does anyone have any suggestions for good restaurants in Venice? Looking for reasonable (if that's possible) non-touristy types of places. Thanks!

Fblack is right. Your hotel can give you great recs based upon what your looking for....and directions!

I've eaten 3-4 times at tiny Anima Bella next to the bridge on Calle Fiubera behind S. Marco. C. Fiubera is easy to see on the Streetwise Venice map.

There's a one-man gondola stand right out the open windows that was fun to watch as was the foot traffic as it is a very narrow street. Moderate....pasta, mineral water, servizio was 15E.

Martha

I'm sailing on the NCL Gem on July 24th and will be spending a couple of days pre cruise in Venice. Does anyone have any suggestions for good restaurants in Venice? Looking for reasonable (if that's possible) non-touristy types of places. Thanks!

Check out Venice restaurants at www.viamichelin.com The Bib Gourmand selection is good food at moderate prices

I would agree with the tip about asking at the hotel for good places. In a city where "getting lost" is a desired pasttime, it would be irritating to be looking for a restaurant and never find it. Especially since road names and addresses are IMPOSSIBLE to find (and sometimes non-exsistent). There is one restaurant/bar that I would reccommend, if only for it story, history and ambience. Harry's Bar is right around the corner from St. Marks and is a great place to have a drink/appetizers. It is a bit pricey, but I went for the story. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry's_Bar_(Venice)

We ate at a fun trattoria on the Grand Canal near the Rialto Bridge, but I cannot remember the name of it to save my life. If I recall correctly we had an appetizer, salad, entree and wine for 14 Euros per person. I have included a picture of the place which we took from the Rialto Bridge. It is the red awnings almost dead center of the picture...

DSC00346.jpg.e6000e7defcb02a529bd44889d6fd0a0.jpg

I like to recommend a restaurant I would really call a "reasonable non-touristy type" where I had a great dinner two month ago:

The Osteria Bea Vita, Fondamenta delle Cappuccine, 3082.

It is almost as far away from St. Mark's square as possible in an area many Venetians actually do live. While I had dinner seated directly on the water, many locals past by, had a short chat with the waiter or a coffee etc.

If I remember right, the delicious four course set menu (suprise, no choice) was € 28 and even included a prosecco from the house. The food was one of the best I ever had in Venice (and I had dinners for more than four times the price here). None of the courses was one of dishes to be found in the typical tourist menus all around the city.

While not formal the service was very good and friendly.

Definitely a place I would happily return to.

Some of the best food we ate in Venice was found by just being totally lost and wandering. We'd be hungry and decide it was time to eat and see what was available where we were. One of the cheapest and best meals we had was stopping in a little corner place in an alley with no place to sit down. We bought food and went to St Marks Square to eat/drink it. I had a Caprizio Salad sandwich and my niece got one with ham and cheese. It was on some sort of wonderful soft pita type bread and they heat the sandwich in a sort of panini press. It was great. We had other great sit down meals also but I couldn't tell you the name of the places. Just make sure, as someone said, get far enough back from St Mark's Square and most restaurants will begin to advertise "No Cover Charges".

I've been going to Venice at least twice a year since 2000 and a couple of my favorites are Vini da Gigio and La Zucca (reservations advised for both). I'll also second the recommendation for Chow Venice - lots of great suggestions.

Archived