CruiseTour with both Denali and Kenai Fjords?

Mikee355

This will be my first and probably my only visit to Alaska so it is all the more important to me that I experience any "must see" destinations. My conclusions from some preliminary research (mostly on these Boards) has led me to prefer a CruiseTour but, during the land portion, I would hate to miss either Denali (Tundra Wilderness Tour) or the Kenai Fjords boat tour (6 hour or 9 hour). So far, I have been unable to find a cruise tour that visits both of these. Am I asking too much? If so, is there an alternate way for me to combine a cruise with these two 'land' destinations?

If you gave your reasons for wanting a cruisetour over independent land + a cruise, it might help us help you. As it is, not knowing why, I think your easiest way is:

1) fly to Anchorage, spend night

2, 3) rent car, drive to Denali, spend 2 nights

4) return to Anchorage, return rental car, spend night

5) catch train to Seward, do KF trip, board cruise ship (or if cruise ship departs from Whittier, return to Anchorage on train, spend night,

6) transfer to Whittier in AM, possibly to do PWS cruise before boarding ship

This is a very stripped down itinerary, and if you have more time, you could certainly add more days of touring without leaving this basic area.

Thanks mytime53.

I guess I was hoping someone would find me a cruisetour that included both Denali and Kenai Fjords, just to simplify things for me. If not, your proposal to split up the land and cruise may be the best alternative. The specifics of your proposal look pretty simple and straightforward too.

I just think that if this might be your one and only trip, it would be a shame to just go from point a to point b to point c. With a car, you can stop along the way...the area in Alaska between Seward and Denali has so much more to offer than the destinations at either end. My husband's cousins left last night after a 2 week stay. All but one night was between Seward and Denali...they did different things each day, and still didn't fit in all they wanted to do.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a cruisetour that goes exactly where you want it to. If so, someone has done it or is doing it, and will let you know.

Have you looked at this website: http://www.alaskatravel.com/

I like the renting a car idea too. Ya never know when there might be a bear, moose, or other wildlife. You can stop wherever/whenever you want. With a minimal road system, you don't need to worry about getting lost. You can even rent motorhomes out of Anchorage, and then you can camp wherever you want along the way up and back.

I understand using a cruise line for your land tour. Have you looked at Princess cruisetours. Look for one that stops at the Kenai area. You can do a land excursion (extra cost) from the hotel to Seward for the tour you want. - Phil

I understand using a cruise line for your land tour. Have you looked at Princess cruisetours. Look for one that stops at the Kenai area. You can do a land excursion (extra cost) from the hotel to Seward for the tour you want. - Phil

However, Princess is an hour away with their Cooper Landing lodge. Not the best of situations in this isolated area. Princess also has way too many cruisetours, that include the Natural History tour.

Thanks mytime53.

I guess I was hoping someone would find me a cruisetour that included both Denali and Kenai Fjords, just to simplify things for me. If not, your proposal to split up the land and cruise may be the best alternative. The specifics of your proposal look pretty simple and straightforward too.

It is pretty darn simple and easy to also go on your own. IF you truely want the most out of Denali Park, a car is a must in my opinion.

If you are not open to this, then also look at HAL, since they did have some cruisetours, that included both the TWT and Kenai Fjords. BUT, verify the boat tour.

Thanks to all. I can't seem to find a cruise tour that incorporates both Denali (TWT) and Kenai Fjords boat cruise (although I'm still open to learning of such a cruisetour from you folks if it exists). I'm becoming resigned to my best choice being land + a cruise with land first. Some of you have taken a stab at a good itinerary that took me to both places. I'd like to ask the rest of you if you have further thoughts on a "land only" itinerary that would start in Anchorage, preferably having the Kenai Fjords boat tour first so we can have a day on water followed by several days on land before boarding our ship for the cruise. Any details such as hotels and enjoyable activities besides Denali & Kenai would be helpful too, but I mainly need more itinerary options now that I"m going it alone without a cruise line to hold my hand.

Princess offers a cruise tour that visits Fairbanks,Denali Princess Lodge, McKinley Princess Lodge and Kenai Princess Lodge. At Denali They include the NHT tour but you can switch to the TWT tour. At Kenai Lodge you can do the Kenai Fijords tour as an optional excursioin. I am doing this cruise tour this Sept. and I am doing both The TWT and Kenai Fijords Tour.

Some parameters would be nice...how much time do you have? 1 of you, or 2? Are you looking at a particular cruiseline? What are your basic interests (culture, wildlife, scenery, outdoor activities, etc)? What month (I assume next year)?

There is so much to do in the area that we couldn't possibly list it all...you will have choices to make.

If you do a cruisetour, you will spend a lot of your time just in transportation to and from Denali...time that on your own you can use to stop at other highlights.

http://www.anchorage.net/

http://www.alaskavisit.com/

http://alaska.org/seward/

There are several sites to give you info at each of the areas you will be traveling through...I haven't attempted to find the "best one" but these will give you a start.

Have you looked at this website: http://www.alaskatravel.com/

I like the renting a car idea too. Ya never know when there might be a bear, moose, or other wildlife. You can stop wherever/whenever you want. With a minimal road system, you don't need to worry about getting lost. You can even rent motorhomes out of Anchorage, and then you can camp wherever you want along the way up and back.

This website has multiple tours incorporating Denali & Kenai, or will customize activities you request, including car rentals. I used them last year for hotel reservations & save almost half.

Princess offers a cruise tour that visits Fairbanks,Denali Princess Lodge, McKinley Princess Lodge and Kenai Princess Lodge. At Denali They include the NHT tour but you can switch to the TWT tour. At Kenai Lodge you can do the Kenai Fijords tour as an optional excursioin. I am doing this cruise tour this Sept. and I am doing both The TWT and Kenai Fijords Tour.

I went on this tour last Sept, loved the TWT in Denali, but missed the Kenai Fjords tour due to bad weather, which was a bummer. Went rafting at Cooper Landing & saw bear & moose.

Thanks to all. I can't seem to find a cruise tour that incorporates both Denali (TWT) and Kenai Fjords boat cruise (although I'm still open to learning of such a cruisetour from you folks if it exists). I'm becoming resigned to my best choice being land + a cruise with land first. Some of you have taken a stab at a good itinerary that took me to both places. I'd like to ask the rest of you if you have further thoughts on a "land only" itinerary that would start in Anchorage, preferably having the Kenai Fjords boat tour first so we can have a day on water followed by several days on land before boarding our ship for the cruise. Any details such as hotels and enjoyable activities besides Denali & Kenai would be helpful too, but I mainly need more itinerary options now that I"m going it alone without a cruise line to hold my hand.

It is VERY simple to "plan" going to Denali park and Kenai Fjords (Seward). What you need is TIME, at least 4 days, in my opinion.

You need to take a look at a map. IT is NOT a good plan to come into Anchorage, go to Seward- which is 3 hours+ each way, then Denali Park, which is 6 hours on the road, plue 8 hours needed for park access, (2 nights a must), THEN back to Anchorage and Seward???

Unless you have a lot of time, I think it's a poor plan to do that backtracking.

Here is cruisetour 18 with HAL. It does say Kenai Fjords, but it does not state if it is just within Resurrection Bay or if it is the 6 hour tour. I do recall reading of others who went with HAL and did take the 6 hour tour. You will need to verify.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseTourDetails.action?webItineraryIdForAudit=AS007018&durationCode=&noOfFlexibleMonths=1&portCode=&flexibleMonths=false&pageNumber=2&voyageCode=R057&subProductCode=A03&tourId=T0A18&dateCode=8_2010

I also agree with others that it is relatively easy to plan the land on your own. However, I also understand those who like to leave the planning to someone else. There is no best way to do this. Do what fits your travel style, not someone else's.

Here is cruisetour 18 with HAL. It does say Kenai Fjords, but it does not state if it is just within Resurrection Bay or if it is the 6 hour tour. I do recall reading of others who went with HAL and did take the 6 hour tour. You will need to verify.

It is the 6 hour one. We have the CruiseTour booked:)

A second thought to consider with an independent option is sometimes significant cost savings. If you consider the smaller B&B's/motels, use of purchased coupon books, more meal options. The freedom of scheduling is worth it all for some.

A month ago, the Kenai Fiords boat was FULL to the gills with HAL cruisetour people. I went out two days in a row, and went with another company, coming back to the ship contracted one the next day. Was a significant priority for me, to have space on the boat.

We are taking Celebrity's cruisetour #15 in September. We are starting with the land tour which begins in Fairbanks. The tour includes Fairbanks, Denali, Talkeetna, Anchorage and Girdwood/Alyeska. In Denali, the TWT is included. On the last day of the tour, we are skipping the Alyeska tram and motorcoach ride included with the tour. Instead I contacted the Kenai Fjords Tours company and they arranged a train ride from Girdwood to Seward, where we will be starting the Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise (6 hours.) We will be dropped off at the ship when we are finished at 5:30 PM and the Millenium sails at 9:00PM. It was easy to arrange. Also, there are two of us, and there was space available to use the Northern Lights Discount Coupon for the Kenia Fjords Cruise. The coupon book cost $50 + $7 shipping, but we are using a two for one coupon. The cruise is $139, so we saved some money. The train ride costs $75 per person if you are in the regular section. The tour includes the train from Fairbanks to Denali and from Denali to Talkeetna, the rest is motorcoach. I have heard the best leg to do on the train is between Seward and Anchorage, so this change should be an enhancement. I think Budget Queen gave us the idea. Thank you Budget Queen! We are really looking forward to our trip!

On the last day of the tour, we are skipping the Alyeska tram and motorcoach ride included with the tour. Instead I contacted the Kenai Fjords Tours company and they arranged a train ride from Girdwood to Seward, where we will be starting the Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise (6 hours.) We will be dropped off at the ship when we are finished at 5:30 PM and the Millenium sails at 9:00PM. B]

I recommend this, repeatively. It is simple to get on the train in Girdwood, and direct book yourself.

Archived