Lifeboat drill

Hi.

We are travelling on the Dream on Tuesday and wondered when do they have the necessary (and boring) lifeboat drill.

On previous thomson cruises it has been on the day at sea (bit late if there's an emergency on the first night :rolleyes: but I've checked the flights and there doesn't seem to be any late flights due in so wondered if the drill owuld be before we sail.

Thanks for your help.

Christine

We did it on the Wednesday morning (day at sea)

To be honest it was a bit of a farce, as we had to go to the Medusa lounge as the weather was bad and so if anyone knew where to go in a real emergency I don't know!!

The comedian made a remark about what would happen if there was an emergency on the first night:D

We sailed on Tuesday night, there was an announcement that night about the Muster drill and it was maritime law.This took place at 10 am on Wednesday morning again there was an announcement before this was taking place around 30 minutes before the ships crew were in position at stategic points to point people in the right direction, on the back of the cabin door there are instructions about your muster point.

In all it lasts for about 20 minutes.

Steve

I always enjoy the lifeboat drill - it's now as much as the cruising experience as a game of shuffleboard! I do get annoyed at those people who think they are above the need for one and do permit myself a smug smile at the sight of them being dragged from the pool or their cabins so as to take part at some later time!

Thanks for your replies, usual time and day then.

We always attend them but now we take all our stuff including our lifebelts when we go for breakfast so we don't have so far to walk if we are on the lower decks.

This will be our 14th cruise (not all on thompson) and we have never missed a lifeboat drill and I fail to understand the logic of anyone who thinks they do not need to attend. they would be first to complain they didn't know what to do if there was an emergency.

What is the point in taking all your stuff including your lifejackets to breakfast with you?

Will you take it wherever you go in case there is an emergency?

There were loads of people on the cruise that I went on that did exactly that, take everything to breakfast, it really annoyed me.

Funny, I am sure I posted this this morning???

Experienced cruisers will lurk about with their lifejackets near their lifeboat station to save going back to their cabins. Of course if you can't get to your cabin in a real emergency there are plenty of spare lifejackets available. One thing I found is each ship seems to have different lifejackets with different ways of getting them on.

'Your knot is excellent sir but do you really need to have your left foot behind your right ear!'

Lifeboat drill is fun. :D

I always enjoy the lifeboat drill - it's now as much as the cruising experience as a game of shuffleboard! I do get annoyed at those people who think they are above the need for one and do permit myself a smug smile at the sight of them being dragged from the pool or their cabins so as to take part at some later time!

Totally agree with you VW.

You meet up with people, have a laugh and a joke.

It's a necessary evil I guess but if you attend with good humour and grace it is only a small inconvenience

We were on a two-week b2b and did not have to go the second week, the cruise news said it was for passengers who had joined the ship the previous day. No doubt we could have gone had we wished to. We had a lie-in, as most ship-board services are suspended while it takes place. It was at around 10a.m., not a sea day, and the ship docked at 11a.m.

Carol x

If the second day of your Thomson cruise is the day at sea then the drill will take place then. On Red Sea Magic it is on the morning before you arrive at Aqaba. If you do not attend you get a letter sent to your cabin. They do check your cabin is vacant so you can not hide in there if you do foolishly not want to attend. It is usually over in 15 / 20 mins.

Archived