Anybody apply for passport recently? (How long did it take?)

ohyes

I am pretty agitated about this. DH and I messed around and just applied for our passports this past Friday. The agent at the post office told us he is to say it takes 7-8 weeks, but they have been coming in about 4 weeks. We heard the same thing in January when DS applied and sure enough, it arrived in about 4 weeks. Of course, time was not such a major issue as it is now. Our cruise leaves on July 26, 2010!

I am kicking myself for even applying this late--should have just done the cruise with our birth certificates. And, of course, now we don't even have our birth certificates because they are en-route to the passport place.

My plan is to expediate DH's application as soon as it shows up online and I can...at least, that is what I understood the guy to tell us Friday. We were too cheap to pay the extra $60.00 at the time - but that was before I realized how scary our situation is. I had been thinking, "oh well, we can just use our birth certificates if worse comes to worse" - FORGETTING they take the birth certificates. Now, i will gladly pay the $60.00.

I am sending off an expediated order to get my birth certificate from Texas--can't tell that Ohio does expediated orders (for DH). He is calling them tomorrow.

Anyway, procrastination can be such a bad thing. We lectured our two adult kids about not messing around with this. Sure enough, they have their passports. ...and their mom and dad have nothing. :( We kept meaning to get in, but the hours were 10-3 and that was difficult with work. The one time I did make it in, about a month ago, the guy was out of the office.

If any of you have recently applied and gotten yours in less than 4 weeks and 5 days, please share. I can use some encouragement. If i miss this cruise, the tears will be nonstop...and there won't even be anybody else to blame. :mad:

Be glad you didn't do this!

We had 5 family members apply in April...6 weeks out from our cruise. 4 of them came in less than 3 weeks. They screwed up my daughter's name, so we couldn't find it online. Called them and they straightened that out, but then we got a notice (in the SNAIL MAIL!) that her notarized birth certificate was not acceptable so we then had to scramble and get the original to them and expedite it. It came a week before the cruise:eek: But if your stuff is in order, I'm sure you will be fine. If you expedite, then better still.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!:)

We applied for our passports in April. We got them in 3 1/2 weeks :).

I know you already said you were doing this, but just get another copy of your birth certificates and stop worrying :). You still have 5 weeks!

Enjoy your trip!

My DW and I applied at the same time back in late January. I received mine in 4 weeks. My DW's didn't come in when mine did and we just waited a few days then checked online. The online info showed that it had been delivered the same day as mine. What it didn't show was the the clerk putting the address on my DW's mistyped the street number. After three more weeks all we could get out of them that the lost PP had been found and was waiting to be re-mailed. I ended up having to call my Congressman's office (no kidding) to get them to mail the PP. We finally received the PP 10 days before our cruise.

I hope you get either your PP or the cert copies of the BCs in time.

my daughters took 2-3 weeks earlier this year. You can call the county department in Ohio and they will do a credit card payment over the phone and have the birth certificate out the same day. We had to do this last year in Erie County with no problems!!

I forgot to add that it is very easy to get a new birth certificate with the raised seal. You can walk in and get one for less than $15. I wouldn't pay the extra money. I think you have plenty of time, and there is a cheaper alternative if it doesn't.

My DH and I applied for ours in March. His was new and mine was a name change. He applied for his in person at the post office, and I mailed mine in the next day. We received them both the same day which was within 2 weeks. He was told 7-8 weeks as well. I would think you will be fine. Enjoy your trip.

My two kids and I applied in April and got them all back in 3.5 weeks. DId you put a rush/expedite on it? If so, I think you get it in 2 weeks. I think it's just a small charge.

We just did our passports and we received them in about 3.5 weeks. Which is tight! But I also forgot about the BC being kept and mailed back to us and I needed to get my drivers license renewed (and needed BC!) Ugh! So I called county where I was born and ordered an official copy of BC and it was here the next day for only $10! So that might be the better option! :)

Archived