Taxi from Ashdod to Jerusalem

Kugel

Does anyone know what a taxi would cost from Ashdod to Jerusalem?

Does Royal Caribbean offer a transfer to the city without a tour?

Thanks

The official price for a taxi from Ashdod to Jerusalem is 240NIS. Taxis are waiting at the pier. Your main problem is getting back since only authorized taxi can enter the port all the way to the pier. You can ask your driver to pick you up from Jerusalem on agreed time; he might charge you more for that. Another option is to take his cell phone number and call him when getting back to Ashdod and use him to enter the port. It is not possible to walk from the gate to the ship!

Motib, won't there be shuttles from the taxi area outside the port gate to the ship, just as there are from the ship to the taxi area? If so, the OP can take a Jerusalem cab to Ashdod without worrying about a cab with a port pass.

As to transport in Jerusalem, much of what you will want to see is walkable. If you have your cab drop you at the Jaffa Gate, you can walk through the Arab market to the Holy Sepulchre, or through the Armenian Quarter to the Western Wall and the Herodian ruins and the Davidson archeological museum just outside the Wall area, as well as to the fascinating archeological museums in the Jewish Quarter (Burnt House and Herodian Quarter, about two blocks from each other). Right at Jaffa Gate is the little-known but well-presented Citadel/Tower of David museum depicting the history of Jerusalem.

From Jaffa Gate, it is a 10-minute walk up Jaffa Road to Zion Square, the heart of downtown modern Jerusalem, with Mea Shearim and 19th century houses nearby, and the two pedestrianized areas of Ben Yehuda (more for shopping) and Yoel Salomon (eating and shopping). You can easily get a cab at Zion Square to go to the Israel Museum (which now has the amazing model of Second Temple Jerusalem) and the Shrine of the Book. Yad Vashem, with its Holocaust Museum and memorials, is a little further, as is Bethlehem which is essentially a suburb of Jerusalem.

Your problem is more likely to be time to see everything, not transport in Jerusalem.

Motib, won't there be shuttles from the taxi area outside the port gate to the ship, just as there are from the ship to the taxi area? If so, the OP can take a Jerusalem cab to Ashdod without worrying about a cab with a port pass.

Well, to get a taxi from the port you don't need any suttle sunce the taxis are waiting on the pier.

There is no shuttle from the port to the city and back unless it is arrange by the cruise company, and most of them don't do that.

When we were there in October on Equinox, Celebrity arranged for busses from the ship to a staging area outside the port gate. That's where we picked up a sherut to Jerusalem, and saw people being picked up there by Israeli friends.. We stayed in Jerusalem instead of returning to Ashdod that night, so I don't know if those busses still ran in the evening, from the staging area to the ship.

• 2 weeks later...
The official price for a taxi from Ashdod to Jerusalem is 240NIS. Taxis are waiting at the pier. Your main problem is getting back since only authorized taxi can enter the port all the way to the pier. You can ask your driver to pick you up from Jerusalem on agreed time; he might charge you more for that. Another option is to take his cell phone number and call him when getting back to Ashdod and use him to enter the port. It is not possible to walk from the gate to the ship!

Does anyone have a name of a reliable taxi service that I could book in advance that would pick us up at Ashdod and take us to Jerusalem so that we can do our own thing there and then return us to the ship later that day. Thanks.

Does anyone have a name of a reliable taxi service that I could book in advance that would pick us up at Ashdod and take us to Jerusalem so that we can do our own thing there and then return us to the ship later that day. Thanks.

you don't need to book a taxi in advance. there are always some waiting on the pier. they have special prices for going to Jerusalem, Dead Sea and even Nazareth with extra staying time, meaning the price include the drive back to the ship. I don't remember the cost but i will be there next tuesday and I will write you back about it. in any case that specific taxi station that is allowed to go into the port has a phone number so I guess you can always take the bus to Ashdod and then call them for a taxi into the port.

never the less. to my opinion, a guided tour to Jerusalem will be the best option.

you don't need to book a taxi in advance. there are always some waiting on the pier. they have special prices for going to Jerusalem, Dead Sea and even Nazareth with extra staying time, meaning the price include the drive back to the ship. I don't remember the cost but i will be there next tuesday and I will write you back about it. in any case that specific taxi station that is allowed to go into the port has a phone number so I guess you can always take the bus to Ashdod and then call them for a taxi into the port.

never the less. to my opinion, a guided tour to Jerusalem will be the best option.

That would be great thanks. We have been to Jerusalem before and have been told that if you meet near the Jaffa Gate there is an excellent walking tour. Also I would like to go to the tunnels which is why I think I would rather do my own thing but any input will be gratefully received. Las year when we docked at Ashdod it was very chaotic there were very long queues for the shuttle to take you to the exit of the port. We did manage to get a taxi to take us to the train station from within the dock so we could go to Tel Aviv although we orginally agreed a price with him. When we got out of the cab he tried to charge us more. This is why I thought if i could pre-order one there wouldnt be any hastle.

That would be great thanks. We have been to Jerusalem before and have been told that if you meet near the Jaffa Gate there is an excellent walking tour. Also I would like to go to the tunnels which is why I think I would rather do my own thing but any input will be gratefully received. Las year when we docked at Ashdod it was very chaotic there were very long queues for the shuttle to take you to the exit of the port. We did manage to get a taxi to take us to the train station from within the dock so we could go to Tel Aviv although we orginally agreed a price with him. When we got out of the cab he tried to charge us more. This is why I thought if i could pre-order one there wouldnt be any hastle.

Ok. I made some checking....

The taxi station that works in the port is Masada and their phone number is 972-8-855 6333.

Now, I called them and ask for a quote for a taxi to Jerusalem and got 150$ price (!!!). That is way higher than the official price - 240NIS (65$). More than that for round trip with waiting time in Jerusalem (leaving Jerusalem at 14:00) they charge 300$ (!!!). Considering the fact that you can hire a private tour of 10hrs for around 500$ I don't think that a taxi is a great deal here.

You can take a taxi to CBS and from there to Jerusalem. That will be the cheapest way but it involve a taxi + bus to Jerusalem + bus in Jerusalem and that is one way only.

Ok. I made some checking....

The taxi station that works in the port is Masada and their phone number is 972-8-855 6333.

Now, I called them and ask for a quote for a taxi to Jerusalem and got 150$ price (!!!). That is way higher than the official price - 240NIS (65$). More than that for round trip with waiting time in Jerusalem (leaving Jerusalem at 14:00) they charge 300$ (!!!). Considering the fact that you can hire a private tour of 10hrs for around 500$ I don't think that a taxi is a great deal here.

You can take a taxi to CBS and from there to Jerusalem. That will be the cheapest way but it involve a taxi + bus to Jerusalem + bus in Jerusalem and that is one way only.

Thanks for checking that out. That was very kind of you. I am now very tempted to do a trip with the ship which covers most of the sites I would like to see and includes lunch with the comfort of being driven by coach. Last year we used a Tour Company from Haifa port and I was very disappointed with the tour guides unprofessionalism. Also our experience I mentioned earlier with Israeli taxi drivers was not great either but I would like to thank you so much for your input.

Thanks for checking that out. That was very kind of you. I am now very tempted to do a trip with the ship which covers most of the sites I would like to see and includes lunch with the comfort of being driven by coach. Last year we used a Tour Company from Haifa port and I was very disappointed with the tour guides unprofessionalism. Also our experience I mentioned earlier with Israeli taxi drivers was not great either but I would like to thank you so much for your input.

Sorry to hear about your impression about the tour guide unprofessionalism.

I must say this is not the common impression about Israeli tour guides.

A private tour from Ashdod to Jerusalem should cost around 550-600$USD. If you find even one couple to join you it is a very good solution for you!

Archived