Just got back from FOS-Western 6/13-6/20 (Big Question also)

I just got back from an excellent cruise with perfect weather and thought I would share my impressions (and a big question at the end :eek:). Forgive me for doing this in bullet form rather than a longer review. I was not going to give a full review of items that are often commented on, but instead just briefly cover those.)

Background:

-Fifth RCI cruise (Prev. Monarch, Navigator, Mariner, Adventure)

-Also cruised on Disney Wonder and Princess Grand.

-Have gone out of Port Canaveral twice previously.

-This was a multgenerational cruise (8 Total: My wife and I (42/41) , 2 kids (14/8), and both of our parents (all 70-75)

Pre-Cruise:

-Stayed at Hilton Cocoa Beach the night before ($65 for each of 3 rooms on Priceline, Great rate and the hotel was nice - right on the beach.)

-Budget rental car from MCO and dropped off at Cape Canaveral. 2 Standard sized for about $35 each. Everything went very well and would do this again.)

-Grills for dinner the night before - always great (but missed seeing the Carnival ship going on on Sat. night.)

Boarding:

-Arrived at 11:00 from Budget. Very smooth and eating in Windjammer by noon.

Ship:

-Really enjoyed the ship. Liked things generally better than the Voyager Class ships although the differences are pretty subtle. Never felt crowded except at the expected times (after shows let out, just before dinner opens up). I really liked the H2O Zone for kids and that it was close to the other pool so that the family did not have to split up too much to accommodate both kids.)

Food:

-Same as I have had before, and have always enjoyed it very much. (Never understood the criticisms of the MDR food a line that caters to mainstream, large scale ships.) I do wish the Windjammer was a bit more varied, and LOVE the personal salad bar in the MDR during sea-day lunches.

Shows:

-Quite good in quality, although I am getting a bit tired of the same kind of entertainment year to year. (Always the two production shows, 'Headliner' Show, Magician, Comedian.) Seems like I have seen the Temptations tribute at least three times now. Audience was in great form, and I have to say the audience energy often makes the shows.

Itinerary:

-Finally got to see Labadee after missing it twice (Civil Unrest, Hurrican redirect). I loved it. I always love the private islands. It is spread out enought to keep crowds thinned out.

-Jamaica: Surprisingly, first time here (all other cruises we took never stopped here). Did the Chukka Tubing through the ship. I really enjoyed it, although I left a part of me in Jamaica (gash out of my shin left a good piece of me on one rock). There is one final spot where about 50% of the people dump over. Otherwise it is very manageable for almost all ages. Went to Island Village briefly and also enjoyed that. A few examples of extreme poverty here that really makes you feel for the friendly people. The excursion driver commented on unrest in Kingston, but we never felt concerned for safety.

-Cayman Islands: Been here before, and took an 'on own' island tour. $10 pp on a bus for 2 hours and saw the main tourist sites for 1-15 minutes each. I would not do this again, but it was good for our group of 8 where most were not the beach-type.

-Cozumel: Always love Chankanaab Park, and liked it even better this time.

Biggest Criticisms (Note-Included here to not make this just a rah-rah rave. The trip was excellent overall):

-Pool Towels: Although other ships had a very loose check out process, this is the first time I had to do it with the Sea Pass Cards - and then wait in line to check them in or change them out. I have to say I think this is completely ridiculous. After paying over $10k for a group of 8 and I have to wait in line to drop off a wet towel??? If there really is that big of a problem in people taking towels home with them, then tsk tsk to those people for making this necessary.

-Entertainment/Activities: The main shows were very enjoyable, and there are tons of sporting activities on the ship. But I thought the other types of activities were a bit lacking (plenty of trivia, but other daytime and the later-night activities seemed more limited to me as compared to other trips). Maybe it was just me.

Overall the trip was excellent, and I would be happy to answer any questions.

Big Question: When I was being shuttled back to MCO on Cocoa Beach Shuttle, the driver said that the buzz at the port was that someone had died on board and that the circumstances were uncertain enough to require the FBI and police to be present. I remember hearing two 'Alpha-Alpha-Alpha' announcements over the speakers for medical emergencies, but do not know anything else. Does Cruise Critic Nation have any other information?

Schmenge:

I was on the cruise with you and would agree with your assessments. It was a great time, and the weather really was perfect. The only rain I remember was for about 15 seconds while waiting for the tender in G Cayman. Great trip!

I heard the two alpha messages and one bravo message as well...but I don't know if anyone died. The first alpha message was for Sorrento's during our first sea day @ the time that they had the ice show tickets - I figured that someone had simply gotten aggressive b/c there were no more ice show tickets left. Didn't hear anything more about it, though....anyone know more?

Quigley:

May I ask (if I understood your comment correctly) how you liked Sorrento's? We have never done the special dining since we have always enjoyed the MDR. Just Curious.

I remember someone on these boards seems to have 'connections' for finding out about the things that are generally kept away from the passengers (understandably), so I would think someone will know if it is true about the rumor.

When reading another thread on Cruise Critic they mentioned this cool web site that lists all the "events at sea" I just checked it and it does not mention anything on your ship happening yet, it does have something listed today about a Norwegian ship having prop problems. It is a neat site, click on the link below to go to it:

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

Hi Schmenge-

We liked Sorrento's alright, although I wouldn't trade a MDR dinner for it. The pizza was better than the pizza in the WJ, but not outstanding. My husband said that his panini was light, not substantial but tasty. We both really enjoyed the antipasti-they were in the window counter.

Archived