Booking future trips while on board

tandemtourer

Is there any financial advantage to booking a future cruise while still on board the QM2? Most special offers which arrive by mail include some wording to the effect that the offer is not combinable with any other discount. Recently we watched a tape that we made at the World Club party on QE2 and the Cunard agent clearly stated that booking while on board would garner a 5% discount which COULD be used in addition to any other fare savings.

Trying to find an antidote for Post Trip Depression Syndrome.

Tandemtourer

Yes, the five percent on-board booking discount is combinable with other discounts. If your travel agent offers better rates than Cunard, simply transfer that booking to your TA when you get home, and the five percent will still be valid.

Oh, and the antidote for Post Trip Depression (PTD)? Simply start planning your next one.icon12.gif

kj

A non-financial advantage of booking while on board, would be to "scope out cabins" which would be suitable for your next trip. I wished I had been more attentive to areas of the ship, obstructed view cabins, outside cabins that are larger than some balcony cabins, etc. I think one could find some real gems at a reasonable price.

Rick J

Rick,

How is it that you became aware of the special qualities of some of the cabins while on board? I imagine that you learned of room #8013 by using your own powers of observation, however, I was wondering how you learned about the larger ocean-view cabins which exist on QM2.

Rebecca

Tandemtourer

Rebecca,

What I've been able to learn came mostly from these boards, looking at the Deck Plans, and correlating them to photographs. For example, one room that I will check out on the next cruise will be a C-1 cabin on deck 6. It appears that 6043 (and nearby cabins), are as deep as the balcony cabins adjacent to them including their balconies. From outside pictures, it looks as though there are four cabins (one is special needs) that have larger windows, (that is, not a porthole) than the others. For our next trip I selected 8013 based on postings of passengers who had near corresponding cabins on the other side, and pictures of the ship showing cabins ahead of the row of lifeboats....but I could be in for a disappointment, too.

Perhaps others who have had these cabins can enlighten us both.

Best,

Rick J

Rick,

Thanks for your reply. On QE2 the deck plans were not to scale and not all that accurate. I noticed that although our P2 cabin looked to be identical to our neighbors, in a C1, their cabin was made smaller by a Steward's supply closet which did not appear on the deck plans.

During a discussion earlier on this board, Ernie did mention that the QM2 deck plans are quite accurate. It certainly appears that your cabin is one of the best. Have a good trip. Which sailing are you on?

Rebecca

On the QM2, we had B-4 5076 - I would book that same room again - it was an in-hull balcony and we really liked it. Plus, the location was good being only 2 flights up the stairs to Deck 7 for King's Court, etc. and 2 flights down to Deck 3 for access to dining, theatre, shops, grand lobby, etc. I think it was a good value for the money - good mid-ship location for not feeling too much motion, too. Very roomy. Side note about comments on the hair dryer in the drawer - I always bring my own so you had to sit at the desk to use the plug. It was nice to sit in the chair at the desk and dry my hair vs. standing in the bathroom. You could watch TV, look out the doors, etc. Didn't bother me.

I just found out from my travel agent that Cunard is taking away the extra discounts they give you when you make a reservation onboard a cruise. I was on the QE2 recently and the cruise line is refusing to give me the discount for a cruise I booked for next year that I booked onboard during the cruise. They told me I would get an extra 5% off my cruise fare when I was on the QE2, but now the cruise line says no! I"m furious! Is anyone else having this problem. Would like to know. Thanks.

Alan

We wanted to book another rt for this year and when we called Cunard just this week they told us to wait until we are onboard in April to do it to receive the discount. So I'm not sure what the deal is.

We booked onboard once and later regretted it.

Whilst you may or may not be able to take further discounts, what you will NOT be able to do is take those offers which appear titled 'Book now and receive free x/y/z' type deals (where x/y/z = flight upgrade, cabin upgrade etc). That is unless you cancel your booking and take out a new booking having lost your original deposit. Sometimes those promotions are in the form of 'book now' and you can't take advantage of the special offer if you've already booked.

I just found out from my travel agent that Cunard is taking away the extra discounts they give you when you make a reservation onboard a cruise. I was on the QE2 recently and the cruise line is refusing to give me the discount for a cruise I booked for next year that I booked onboard during the cruise. They told me I would get an extra 5% off my cruise fare when I was on the QE2, but now the cruise line says no! I"m furious! Is anyone else having this problem. Would like to know. Thanks.

Alan

Alan,

I, too, booked a 2006 voyage while onboard QE2 during her December, 2004 trans-Atlantic crossing. I was told then that there would be an additional 5% discount for booking onboard. When I spoke to a Cunard representative today he said Carnival/Princess has decided to discontinue the practice of onboard booking discounts for 2006 voyages and beyond. I pointed out that the agreement in place when I booked in 2004 was to give the discount, and that I expected them to honor the contract. The Cunard rep. said there is currently a fair amount of discussion within Carnival as to what to do for/to those of us who are otherwise entitled to the discount. I was asked to call back in a few days. We'll see if they follow through. I believe a good argument can be made that they are contractually obligated to give the discount. Tell your travel agant to start pushing back on Cunard. The bad pr may be something they want to avoid. Sadly, it appears that in the future the only reason left for doing onboard bookings will the pleasure of chatting with Cunard's lovely representative, Nicola.

I'll let you know if I am successful in getting the 5% discount.

Richard

Archived