An Update. Solo Cruising (this is all new to me HELP!!!)

Some of you might have been following my partner's health battles and the cancellation of our cruise recently.

My husband, the love of my life, my soul mate and very best friend died in my arms on the 8th June. The only thing getting me through is knowing that he is now pain free and at peace after fighting melanoma for the last 3 years. We married in the hospice (in our pj's I might add) on the 2nd of June, had a small celebration with family and friends on the 6th - he just seemed to want to complete everything that we had planned. Fly free my angel.

I asked our TA to try and see if we could get a refund for our cruise and they have agreed to give us most of it back - minus around $1000. Thinking about it now I should have just asked them to hold it and to transfer it to another cruise, as I would loved to have done a similar cruise and in the aft mini suite that we had planned to do together. They haven't refunded yet, so I might still ask the question and see what they say.

I have decided that after all we went through, I really need a break after I finalise everything in the next month or so. Going on a cruise seems like the perfect thing to do as it is what we both absolutely adored, and had planned and it would have also been our honeymoon.

Now, I am completely new to solo cruising as I never throught this is something that I would ever had to do. I'd love some ideas as to how it al works and where I can get pricing and deals etc. I don't want to travel too far from home on my first solo trip - so pehaps Asia, Australia/NZ - but am open to any other ideas. I don't want an inside - would prefer a balcony as that's what we both loved. I did look at the solo cruising section, but it seems that all the deals are for US cruising, as I didn't see any for Australia. Any suggestions or if you know of any deals, please let me know.

Thank you all so very much for all your help and support - it is greatly appreciated.

Some of you might have been following my partner's health battles and the cancellation of our cruise recently.

My husband, the love of my life, my soul mate and very best friend died in my arms on the 8th June. The only thing getting me through is knowing that he is now pain free and at peace after fighting melanoma for the last 3 years. We married in the hospice (in our pj's I might add) on the 2nd of June, had a small celebration with family and friends on the 6th - he just seemed to want to complete everything that we had planned. Fly free my angel.

I asked our TA to try and see if we could get a refund for our cruise and they have agreed to give us most of it back - minus around $1000. Thinking about it now I should have just asked them to hold it and to transfer it to another cruise, as I would loved to have done a similar cruise and in the aft mini suite that we had planned to do together. They haven't refunded yet, so I might still ask the question and see what they say.

I have decided that after all we went through, I really need a break after I finalise everything in the next month or so. Going on a cruise seems like the perfect thing to do as it is what we both absolutely adored, and had planned and it would have also been our honeymoon.

Now, I am completely new to solo cruising as I never throught this is something that I would ever had to do. I'd love some ideas as to how it al works and where I can get pricing and deals etc. I don't want to travel too far from home on my first solo trip - so pehaps Asia, Australia/NZ - but am open to any other ideas. I don't want an inside - would prefer a balcony as that's what we both loved. I did look at the solo cruising section, but it seems that all the deals are for US cruising, as I didn't see any for Australia. Any suggestions or if you know of any deals, please let me know.

Thank you all so very much for all your help and support - it is greatly appreciated.

Hi Aussie...please accept my condolences for your loss. As you mentioned, they are now pain free, so that can only be a good thing:)

We met a friend on our last cruise, who travelled solo, she was in a balcony cabin and it was 200% of the adult fare (so effectively double) some of the lower graded cabins, like the inside ones are a 160% of the adult fare. I must say she had a ball, she was the one the started the roll call, so ended up meeting some really cool people (such as myself hehe) but having the luxury of being able to have some alone time when she wanted, so based on her experience i would say go for it!! :)

Hi AussieTJE, I just want to say I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your dear husband. I'm sure it would be hard to make the right decisions at a time like this.

I have read of some solo travellers who get better deals than those mentioned above but I don't know enough about it to give you any advice. Just hope everything works out for you.

My wishes for strength in the next few years. Your darling's battle is over and you now need to stay strong and well and a cruise would be the best medicine. I can't help you with cruise suggestions for single passage but may I suggest that you do an Aussie Cruise rather than one from OS or even an OS ship that will have lots of "strangers" on it. I am a well travelled person but my husbands not and he finds it easier to mix on a Aussie filled ship. Some may not agree but thats just what he reports.

QLD Cruiser often travels solo and she may see your post and contact you . Make sure when you book that you get on the roll call & meet & mingle as that is a great start to meeting folk.

May you find a cruise and have a wonderful time knowing his smile is in the sunshine and his love is in the moonlight

Di

Hi AussieTJE

Our thoughts are with you in you in your tragic loss but he is at peace in a better place. I know it is hard to do but life has to go on and you are doing by going ahead with a cruise and good on you for your courage.

My wife and I are part of a group of five going on the Dawn Princess out of Sydney on October 1st to Fiji for 14 days. The fifth person in our group is a solo lady who lost her husband some years ago although close friends with the other couple, is travelling alone in a cabin next door to her friends but she wishes to be on her own. She didnt pay double for her cabin but it would haved been about 75 to 80% of the double cabin rate. We are in inside cabins which we are all happy about.

It would be lovely if you could join us on this cruise if you could still get on it.

We have started a Roll Call but it seems to have disappeared from the 'DAWN" rollcalls again.

Anyway, just a thought. You would be welcome to join us.

John & Jocelyn

Archived