Capri and Grotto tour and then pompei...in a day?

travelerjd06

My dad and I were hoping to see the island of Capri and the blue grotto in the morning and then head to pompei for a few hours. Is that possible in the day and how could we go about getting the transportation to Capri and then from Capri to Pompei, and then back to the ship. Thanks anyone for your help.

You can, although I would suggest going to Pompei first, before the heat of the day, then enjoying the boat ride out to Capri and the grotto when it is warmest.

Think of it as a circle with three points, the cruise port and Molo Beverello as one point, Pompei as another and Capri as the third. If you go to Pompei first, you'll be traveling clockwise. If you go to Capri first, you're traveling counterclockwise.

Either way you do it, here are the transportation steps:

Between the Molo Beverello/Cruise Port and Pompei: Circumvesuviana train to/from Porta Nolana and Pompei Scavi (there is also a bus option for this portion, if you prefer)

Between Pompei and Sorrento: Circumvesuviana train

Between Sorrento and Capri: Ferry/hydrofoil

Between Capri and Molo Beverello/Cruise Port: Ferry/hydrofoil

From Sorrento to Pompei Scavi by Circumvesuviana is about a half hour, from Pompei Scavi to Naples Porta Nolana is about 40 minutes, plus another 20 minutes to the cruise port if you walk, or ten minutes by cab.

I don't think you'd save any time by using a cab between Sorrento and Pompei or Pompei and Naples.

Here is the Circumvesuviana site in English, where you can look up schedules and times: http://www.vesuviana.it/web/en

We used Rebecca from Capritime.com and she was wonderful. She took us on a tour of Capri and we went to the Blue Grotto as well as several others. Contact her and I bet she can arrange Pompei for you as well. She is AMAZING....we had the most wonderful day with her.

We used Rebecca from Capritime.com and she was wonderful. She took us on a tour of Capri and we went to the Blue Grotto as well as several others. Contact her and I bet she can arrange Pompei for you as well. She is AMAZING....we had the most wonderful day with her.

Hi, we're on the Rome-Venice on August 9. Can "partymaker" contact me at lasiter311 at aol dot com. I see you are in West Hills and we are in Winnetka. Would love to talk before we leave.

Doris

We actually were able to e-mail rebecca, and she is able to arrange a private guided tour of pompeii and then a tour around the island of capri, and if there's time a tour up to anacapri. I haven't finalized the booking yet since it is a little expensive and we are still deciding whether its more financially reasonable to do it on our own or not. Thanks for all your input!

Archived