Dream/Magic - capacity vs. actual

prattmom

OK, so we sailed on the 2900+ passenger Conquest 2 weeks ago with 3500ish people on board. I was wondering how many people generally sail on the Dream - I know the Dream/Magic are 3600 passenger ships, but would that mean there will then be 4000+ passengers? Just wondering how much more crowded it might be?

Thoughts?

Our Dream Sailing in May was sold out - 4100 with 2500 past guests (I might be slightly off on past guests - it might have been 2400 - I know it was a lot more than over half!) -

OK, so we sailed on the 2900+ passenger Conquest 2 weeks ago with 3500ish people on board. I was wondering how many people generally sail on the Dream - I know the Dream/Magic are 3600 passenger ships, but would that mean there will then be 4000+ passengers? Just wondering how much more crowded it might be?

Thoughts?

One of the online cruise web sites says the Conquest holds 3700 passengers and the Dream 3646 and the Magic 3690 so they should be less crowded.

It SEEMS like I heard somewhere that the "capacity" number is based on double occupancy of the rooms .. not including the 3rd and 4th ?! That may explain for the disparity of numbers?

Yeah, I get why the disparity, I was just wondering how full the Dream usually sails. From what I understand, the Conquest was maxed-out on our cruise. It wasn't uncomfortably crowded, either, which I was a little worried about LOL!

I think a lot depends on the time of year that you travel. As stated by pamletx the Carnival website numbers are based on the ship being sold out with double occupancy in each cabin. I would assume that during the summer and during holiday breaks there are more families and more 3rd and 4th passengers.

I was on the Dream in January and it was a sold out cruise and it did not feel any more crowded than the other ships I have been on. I think Carnival does a good job of providing more public space on larger ships. The more guests a ship holds the larger it is so the more space there is.

The following is from the Carnival website ...

Conquest

Total Staterooms - 1,487

Decks - 13

Passenger capacity - 2,974

Total crew - 1,150

Officer's nationality - Italian

Ship size - Large

Tonnage - 110,000

Ship length - 953

Registry - Panama

Dream

Gross Tonnage: 130,000 tons

Length: 1,004 feet

Cruising Speed:

Staterooms: 1,823

Guest Capacity: 3,646 (double occupancy)

Total staff: 1,367

Registry: Panama

Take the number of staterooms and double that to get the double occupancy capacity (the figure usually quoted). Take the gross tonnage and divide by the double occupancy figure to get the space ratio. For the Conquest the space ratio is 37. For the Dream the space ratio is 35.66. The larger the number the better. Or to put it another way, the larger the number the less crowded the ship will feel when full.

Finding the number of guest the ship can actually hold is a little more difficult. For the Conquest the figure seems to be 3700. Since I am not at home, I don't have the reference material to look up the figure for the Dream.

One of the online cruise web sites says the Conquest holds 3700 passengers and the Dream 3646 and the Magic 3690 so they should be less crowded.

3700 pax for the Conquest is full occupancy and 3646 pax for the Dream and 3690 for the Magic is double occupancy.

The Dream has been sailing with every room full. That means the rooms that will hold 4 or 5 people are full. I do not know how many of the rooms are quads but I would say you can add 800/1000 people to the 3646 number. We had around 3500 on the Dream transatlantic cruise. It did not seem overly crowded except on the last couple of sea days coming into NY. We went through some pretty nasty weather and the captain closed the outside decks. It was very crowded in the public areas. If there had been a 1000 more people on that cruise, for me it would have been way to crowded. We do not cruise during the summer or holidays when the kids are out of school. The ships are to crowded for us at these times. I know for some it is the only time they can go. I quess you must decide for yourself if the larger ships are worth putting up with all the extra people.

I think a lot depends on the time of year that you travel. As stated by pamletx the Carnival website numbers are based on the ship being sold out with double occupancy in each cabin. I would assume that during the summer and during holiday breaks there are more families and more 3rd and 4th passengers.

I was on the Dream in January and it was a sold out cruise and it did not feel any more crowded than the other ships I have been on. I think Carnival does a good job of providing more public space on larger ships. The more guests a ship holds the larger it is so the more space there is.

what was your total take on the ship i have good and bad but not to much on the cabin size espeacially the balcony and cloud nine spa i like to know a little more if u know thanks

conquest's normal occupancy (based on 2 per cabin) is 2974. full guest capacity is 3756. officers and crew = 1180. maximum capacity is 3756 + 1180 = 4936

dream's normal occupancy (based on 2 per cabin) is 3646. full guest capacity is 4633. officers and crew = 1369. maximum capacity is 4633 + 1369 = 6002

magic's normal occupancy (based on 2 per cabin) is 3690. full guest capacity is 4724. officers and crew = 1369. maximum capacity is 4724 + 1369 = 6093

these numbers are from carnival... though not publicly released...

but i don't think that either dream or magic can sail at full guest capacity, because they need a certain percentage of unused space in the lifeboats / rafts. all 3 ships have a total number of life saving appliance space for 6052 people, total.

The Dream has been sailing with every room full. That means the rooms that will hold 4 or 5 people are full . . .

That would mean that zero passengers are sailing solo on Carnival Dream.

Perhaps that is quite the case, but just seems (to me, at least) rather unlikely.

That would mean that zero passengers are sailing solo on Carnival Dream.

Perhaps that is quite the case, but just seems (to me, at least) rather unlikely.

I agree.

i agree, also...

total passenger capacity is established vs. lifeboat capacity. they just have more cabins that are capable of holding more people (more triples, quads), knowing that they'll never fill them completely, to allow for booking flexibility at any given time...

Here ya go....And yes the Dream felt crowded to me at times. Did the first (9 nighter) out of PC.

Size/Capacity:

Gross tonnage: 128,000

Length: 1004 feet

Beam: 116 feet; 125 feet at pool deck

Maximum draft: 27 feet

Full guest occupancy: 4633

Normal occupancy (based on 2 per cabin): 3646

Passenger decks: 14

Space ratio: 36:1

Crew:

Total officers and crew: 1369

Guests to crew: 1 crew for every 2 guests

Officers: Italian

Hotel and cruise staff: International

Accommodations:

12 oceanview balcony penthouse suites

44 oceanview balcony suites

831 oceanview balcony staterooms

250 oceanview staterooms

657 interior staterooms

8 oceanview upper/lower staterooms

21 interior upper/lower staterooms

1823 total guest staterooms

conquest's normal occupancy (based on 2 per cabin) is 2974. full guest capacity is 3756. officers and crew = 1180. maximum capacity is 3756 + 1180 = 4936

dream's normal occupancy (based on 2 per cabin) is 3646. full guest capacity is 4633. officers and crew = 1369. maximum capacity is 4633 + 1369 = 6002

magic's normal occupancy (based on 2 per cabin) is 3690. full guest capacity is 4724. officers and crew = 1369. maximum capacity is 4724 + 1369 = 6093

these numbers are from carnival... though not publicly released...

but i don't think that either dream or magic can sail at full guest capacity, because they need a certain percentage of unused space in the lifeboats / rafts. all 3 ships have a total number of life saving appliance space for 6052 people, total.

The total number of life saving appliances is not correct for the Dream/Magic.

I noticed it was wrong on http://www.cruisedeckplans.com and http://www.bookccl.com/irman

The Conquest class has 26 full size lifeboats, plus 2 smaller lifeboats.

The Dream class has 30 full size lifeboats, plus 2 smaller lifeboats.

The Dream class probably also has more life rafts.

Here ya go....And yes the Dream felt crowded to me at times. Did the first (9 nighter) out of PC.

Your, THE MAN :D

OK, I'll give you ten bucks for the HAT " IN MiNT CONDITION "

tip-of-the-hat-emoticon.gif&sa=X&ei=M9IiTKbfJIGC8gb2xZmQBQ&ved=0CAQQ8wc4Bg&usg=AFQjCNHM5bsyVD9jiF852OzbLVQkFZ3Psw

For ten bucks you only get a mint.....The hat will cost you more.....;)

The Dream class probably also has more life rafts.

i thought that didn't quite make sense, either, but i did reference sites mentioned...

geesh, you'd think you could get accurate information from ccl's own websites... :rolleyes:

wait... what am i saying? :p

i thought that didn't quite make sense, either, but i did reference sites mentioned...

geesh, you'd think you could get accurate information from ccl's own websites... :rolleyes:

wait... what am i saying? :p

That's what you would think!:rolleyes:

It also said that the Dream was going to have a retractable cover for the pool.

Archived