First time cruise - Caribbean witht the Destiny in Jan 11

Hi all

Well, after months of research and procrastinating we have finally booked our first ever cruise! We have chosen a cruise and stay package with the Destiny in the Caribbean for our honeymoon in Jan 11. A cruise and stay seems perfect, if we aren't keen on the cruise part (although I'm pretty sure we will love it) we still have a week in a hotel to look forward to! We have chosen the Coral Islands cruise although they all look fab.

I've read so many helpful posts in this board and will continue to do so. I've got a couple of questions that I hope someone can help me with :)

Is there a doctor/medic on the boat?

Does anyone know what the vegetarian food selection is like?

Any tips from those who have taken young children? Although its our 'honeymoon' our 3 year old daughter will be with us!

Ok...silly question but I am a born worrier! We plan to leave the boat every day and see the sights, and I know we will be back to the ship in plenty of time, but what happens if you miss it?! Obviously it wont wait for you so what do you do, hang around for the next one?! :)

Any advice appreciated!

Deb

Hi all

Well, after months of research and procrastinating we have finally booked our first ever cruise! We have chosen a cruise and stay package with the Destiny in the Caribbean for our honeymoon in Jan 11. A cruise and stay seems perfect, if we aren't keen on the cruise part (although I'm pretty sure we will love it) we still have a week in a hotel to look forward to! We have chosen the Coral Islands cruise although they all look fab.

I've read so many helpful posts in this board and will continue to do so. I've got a couple of questions that I hope someone can help me with :)

Is there a doctor/medic on the boat?

Does anyone know what the vegetarian food selection is like?

Any tips from those who have taken young children? Although its our 'honeymoon' our 3 year old daughter will be with us!

Ok...silly question but I am a born worrier! We plan to leave the boat every day and see the sights, and I know we will be back to the ship in plenty of time, but what happens if you miss it?! Obviously it wont wait for you so what do you do, hang around for the next one?! :)

Any advice appreciated!

Deb

Hi Deb

We are also on the Destiny on the 23rd Jan for a b2b cruise, can't wait already:D. I am sure you will have a fab honeymoon. We have never been on the Destiny but have cruised on the Thomson Spirit twice before.

All Thomson Cruise ships have a medic centre with fully qualified staff including a doctor. Hopefully we will not need to see them though:).

We nearly always eat in the self service restaurant and I am sure you will find plenty to eat, if not just ask they are very accommodating. Never travelled with young children, but I am sure someone will give you tips with regards to your daughter.

If you take the organised cruise trips, then the boat will wait for you, :D however taking your own organised trips they probably will not,:( never encountered this issue on any of our previous cruises.

When do you travel?

Hi Deb 71 & Cityfan

We've been on the Destiny 3 times so far and she's brilliant. We did the Carribean 2 weeks in March 2009 and it was so good we've booked to do it again in March 2011.

Deb - cityfan has answered your questions so won't bother repeating. If you have any questions regarding trips etc there are plenty of reviews on this forum which are very good - especially those from kruzseeka.

Don't worry about it - you will have a brilliant time.

Janet:)

Just to add they do have a vegetarian dish on the menu in the main restaurant and I think the buffet. There are salads available in both restaurant and in the buffet you can make up your own. Its amazing how many olives I can get through on a cruise :D

Another tip, if you have not already done so I recommend spending the £39 and booking a specific cabin. Take a look at the deckplan and get a cabin midships or forward, cabins at the rear suffer more from engine noise.

hi deb71 ,we have just returned from our cruise on the destiny with our 9 yr old daughter and she had a fantastic time in the kidzone they take kids from age 3 upwards and are fantastic with them your daughter will love it ,it was our first time on the destiny and we had a great time we stayed in cabin 3122 and it was fine we had plenty of room for the 3 of us , i would recommend that you prebook your cabin enjoy your cruise

This website is addictive, I seem to be spending more time researching the cruise than sorting out the wedding lol

Thanks for the replies, we have booked an outside cabin on deck 3 at the front of the ship :)

Deb

We had trouble getting back on Celebration in Marmaris two weeks ago, we'd been out to dinner and were due back on board by 11p.m. for a departure time of 11.30p.m. However when we walked back through the marina we found that the gates had been locked at 10.30p.m.!! We were literally the other side of the fence to the ship. The ship's emergency phone number is printed on your cruise card now, so I phoned them and they rang the port agent to come and unlock the gate for us. The silly thing was we'd been in full view of Celebration while at the restaurant!

If we go off independently for the day, we aim to be back by the ship with a couple of hours to spare. Usually in the Caribbean there are shops or bars at the cruise terminal for a last mooch round. The "back on board" time is displayed at the gangway each day, and your cruise card is swiped so they know exactly who is on and who is off the ship at any time.

Carol x

Archived