June 26-27 Seattle traffic congestion

Dan G

Sat 6-26 is the Rock n Roll marathon race with 28000 participants. It looks like the primary traffic will be on Aurora Hwy 99 which would affect people trying to get to pier 66 or 91 from the airport. I-5 would not be affected. It would be a good day to take a towncar or shuttle that doesn't meter like cabs would.

Sunday 6-27 is the Pride parade that has been mentioned previously. That will affect a big portion of downtown and people trying to get to the ships as it ends near the Space Needle. Search on this forum and you will see the thread.

Just a heads up

http://seattle.competitor.com/event-info/course/road-closures/

davidgmg,

We will be arriving 6/26 about 3:00pm and plan to take the light rail downtown will the race effect us?

We then plan to explore Pike Market, Space Needle and Pioneer square using free bus and monorail on Sunday. Will the parade interfer with those plans? Thanks

davidgmg,

We will be arriving 6/26 about 3:00pm and plan to take the light rail downtown will the race effect us?

We then plan to explore Pike Market, Space Needle and Pioneer square using free bus and monorail on Sunday. Will the parade interfer with those plans? Thanks

the race on saturday not at all. Sunday very much. After the parade there is a festival at the Space Needle. It wouldn't affect visiting the Space Needle but a few hundred thousand people stay after the parade for music etc. It wouldn't affect the market at all. I'd still go but just expect a lot of traffic. Taking the monorail will avoid any congestion so I think you'll be fine. If you have a choice do the Space Needle first then go to the Market. This will avoid the crowds but the parade can be fun to watch as well.

Thanks for this info. We need to get to pier 91 around noon from west Seattle and we were planning on taking a cab. The obvious route would have been hwy 99. Which route would you take since it looks like it aurora will be closed?

I usually try to avoid I5 so I'm confused..help!

which day? if its saturday it looks like the Western Ave exit will be closed till 4 pm. The other day it won't matter. You could take 4th ave south and cut over to Alaskan Way and go that way or get off the W Seattle Fwy and follow Alaskan Way to Pier 91

We are leaving Saturday. So are you suggesting west Seattle bridge to alaskan way all the way up to broad st, then connect back up to 99 (or will it still be close that far north)? Or can I connect up with Elliott ( or maybe 15th - i am asking just by memory so i might be off with the street names) and take that all the way to pier 91? Sorry, I don't drive a lot so when my regular route is closed I am. LOST.

If you HAD to go I5' what would the nearest exit to the interbay area be while still avoiding 99. How far north will it be closed off?

Thanks again for this info, it will save a lot of headaches this weekend.

I wouldn't take I-5 because you drive further then have to wind around by the Space Needle etc. I looked at the closures and the nb ramp to 99 from W Seattle will be closed. You get off the W Seattle Frwy then follow Alaskan way all the way till it merges with Western Ave which becomes 15th then straight on to pier 91. That would be the fastest and while you may hit some congestion on the waterfront I think it will be the quickest.

We decided that rather than stressing out about a running cab meter in traffic we would secure a town car for Saturday. Hopefully the traffic won't be a TOTAL nightmare.

I would have never known about this without your post though so I do appreciate it and hopefully it will save a few headaches for others as well.

you might also look at

shuttleexpress.com

for a quote. They also run a towncar service. Hopefully things go very smoothly but its frustrating when the route you know is 'closed'. happened to me in Vanc two weeks ago when the highway was closed. The locals knew the detours but I was lost.

Archived