First Cruise Booked

jleiwig

My wife and I booked our first cruise together for the Sensation leaving 10/17. Her parents are coming along as well and staying in a cabin directly across the hall. We are in E109, they are in E108.

Being a first time cruiser, any tips or hints?

She really wants to do the glass bottom boat thing, but all the reviews I've read here didn't sound too positive.

We'll be driving down from Ohio, not too sure yet on where we're staying. It's about a 15 hr drive, so I'm not sure if we'll do it all in one day or stop.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks! :D

How funny ... my husband and I also just booked our first cruise on the Sensation (we leave on 10/3, though) and we also live on Ohio. We have elected to fly down and use up some frequent flier miles :) I'm also curious about the glass bottom boat tours, as my DH wants to take that excursion.

Happy sailing!

My suggestion would be do some searching and just overall reading on the forums here for a few days/week.

Then if you have particular questions to ask about something you read or did not read list em out.

That way you already have a general idea of what you want, what can be expected and what is available not available may be available.

GL!

Hi guys and welcome to the world of cruising. My first recommendation is go to your roll call for that particular sailing - you can talk to people who will be on the same cruise as you and may be able to help you with excursions. Also, go to the ports of call site and it will also have information on excursions. When it comes to packing take half of it out as you won't use it all and mix and match. Take plenty of $1 for tipping - taxis, porters, room service, drink waiters already get 15% tip added on to price of drink but slip him/her a tip once in awhile to make sure they come back. Make sure to order room service at least once - BLTS are great - tip $1-2. Go with a great attitude and expect things to happen and go with the flow. Enjoy every minute. Come back here anytime to ask questions - we were all in your shoes at some point.

My wife and I booked our first cruise together for the Sensation leaving 10/17. Her parents are coming along as well and staying in a cabin directly across the hall. We are in E109, they are in E108.

She really wants to do the glass bottom boat thing, but all the reviews I've read here didn't sound too positive.

We'll be driving down from Ohio, not too sure yet on where we're staying. It's about a 15 hr drive, so I'm not sure if we'll do it all in one day or stop.

Welcome to CC! Congrats on booking your 1st cruise also!

You will either love the cruise or hate it. I also recommend you searching the threads for topics related to your cruise. Definitely check out the roll call thread and threads for your ports of call. You will find folks who have done excursions at the ports you will be going to and they can also advise who they took the tour with! Don't book excursions through the cruise line though!! The prices are way too high! You can book great excursions with private tour companies for much less!

Have fun on your drive! When cruising, we always fly to where we are leaving from. I'd be too exhausted after a 15 hr drive to enjoy getting on the ship, which is half the fun!!

Enjoy your cruise and make sure you come back and tell us all about it!!

CONGRATS on booking your first cruise! Mine was on the Sensation in January. Great ship for a first-timer!

Let's see...

1) Be sure to read the Fun Times (previously called Capers) that your room steward leaves for you each day. There are many activities in it that you won't know about otherwise and might miss. (Ask me how I know. :rolleyes:)

2) If you like stir-fry, be sure to try the Mongolian grill on the Lido deck. YUM!

3) After our cruise, I learned there may have been a chocolate buffet on the last sea day. Wish I'd known about that! (see #1)

4) Don't be afraid to ask Carnival employees if there is something you don't know!

5) We didn't realize until after our cruise that we could have eaten breakfast and lunch in the dining room instead of on the Lido deck or from room service. Be sure to try that!

6) We only did one excursion, and that was the catamaran/snorkeling/beach (?) outing in Nassau. It was through Carnival and about $50 pp. We waited and booked it the morning of the excursion, and we had a BLAST!

7) It won't do you any good to kick and scream at the end of the cruise. They WILL kick you off the ship when it's over, regardless of how much you protest :D

Congratulations on booking your first cruise and welcome to Cruise Critic!!!

You might want to visit our ports of call boards for your particular calls and ask there about specific excursions.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

You might want to spend some time before hand looking at the deck plans, finding your cabin in relation to landmarks on the ship; elevators, restaurants, etc; and consider that it's quite a walk from one end of the vessel to the other.

Don't try to do everything. Make sure you take a close look at the Fun Times and pick what really interests you and leave some time for doing nothing. Those moments where you do little else than stare a the sea are precious.

:)

Oh boy, You're in trouble now !! I tried the Sensation for my first cruise. I figured it was only for 4 days if I didn't like it, but...... I got hooked. Had a great time. Now I have to cruise at least once a year, this year going twice and hopefully more next year!! Great way to travel. Welcome and enjoy. You'll be back for more.

Funny! My sister and I just booked OUR first cruise (she won on the radio), and we are going the week before you on 10/10.

I don't have any tips since I am looking for them, too. Well, I can offer trying to stay at the Raddison or the Country Inn and Suites at the Port ad do he deal wehre you can leave your car at the hotel. it's usually cheaper that way that parking at the port. I ahve heard tell of people getting the CI&S on Hotwire or Priceline for cheap and then being able to upgrade to the park and cruise for like $10-20.

We are heading down on Friday 10/8 and will stay in Orlando Fri and Saturday night. We will be heading to Epcot on Saturday for the Food & Wine Festival and Taylor Hicks concert.

Hope you have a great trip!!!

Another poster gave a good hint..if you take a digital camera, either purchase a few cheap SD cards, and use one in each port. Or,. if you take your laptop, download the card and put what port the pictures are on the folder. I didn't do that, and as a result, took oodles of pictures, on same SD card, and I had such a good time that I couldn't remember what picture was for what port...lol.

If you have a balcony room, take a bungee cord to hold the door open.

Coffee creamer comes in little pitchers of half and half, and sugar comes in little packets. I took a 1 lb. round box of sugar...hate the packets.

You might have to have a grinectomty when you get off the ship, as you will be smiling constantly with pleasure while you are on your cruise.

Melanie

My tip is in regards to the reviews people post...

Yes, you will find some useful information in them, but you will also have to remember that there is also a lot is opinion. Some of the ones that come to mind:

• Food - very subjective
  • Service - Not everyone has the same servers and room attendants (plus, employees don't work year round)
  • Room - Make sure you compare info and pictures to the category you are in
  • Costs - There are many things you can do that don't cost a penny so pay attn as to why someone might say they were "nickled and dimed"

Just keep an open mind and disregard those opinions. The things many people rave about you might hate or vice versa.

Congratulations on booking your first cruise, we sailed the Sensation about a month ago, it was our first short (4 day) cruise and we were delighted with it. The ship is one of the older Carnival ships but it's in great shape and was spotlessly clean. Don't know anything about the glass bottom boat excursion but we took "A taste of Nassau" tour from Island Marketing, it was one of the best tours we have ever taken. We didn't enjoy Freeport as much as we did Nassau but it was ok! Hope you have as good a time as we did! :D

Congrats on booking your first Cruise! And welcome to CC.

You can order as much as you want from the dining room or you can ask for two of the same thing. Try something new each day, you might be surprised at what you like...:)

Pizza Station is open 24/7:D

Have a sandwich from the deli at least once. My fav is the turkey wrap.;)

Let them take your photo every time they ask. The ones you think will be awful always seem to turn out the best. And you don't have to buy any of them if you don't want to.:p

Try the racing slides and then the twister slide! And remember you will never see all most all of the folks on that ship ever again so act like a kid and have FUN!

Most of all don't try and do it all, take a little time to relax and watch the ocean roll by................:)

Archived