I got out and used my camera today...

pierces

great place to visit!

not the best lighting for photography, but a lot of fun.

Close to Dulles airport and worth stopping before the flight or just after landing at IAD! Allow at least 2 hours.

Entrance is free, but $15 per car parking fee.

Edited by dileep

great place to visit!

Close to Dulles airport and worth stopping before the flight or just after landing at IAD! Allow at least 2 hours.

Nice. Between these and your shots of the air show - are you former Air Force? My dad was Army Air Corps (WWII) and my son was in the Air Force so I try not to miss anything aircraft related.

great place to visit!

I agree. This place is amazing to visit. The collection of aircraft is great. When I visited several years ago they had a guy talking about the SR-71. Turns out he was a former pilot of the SR-71 and showed us his personal photo album from his flying days. Had some very interesting stories. Funny part was when we asked him how fast and high the plane flew and he responded "Mach 3 and 80,000ft, give or take, but more give...."

I recently picked up a Canon XSi/450D and took a business trip to Baltimore this week. Had a free day, so I went down to Inner Harbor before my flight home.

This is my first crack with a DSLR, and thankfully the Canon photo editing software is pretty easy to work with.

296557_10150283625033857_677683856_7913556_2544090_n.jpg

299741_10150283625183857_677683856_7913558_5686506_n.jpg

298240_10150283626483857_677683856_7913583_5973427_n.jpg

298763_10150283627688857_677683856_7913591_5603750_n.jpg

293331_10150283624818857_677683856_7913551_7233487_n.jpg

291984_10150283627963857_677683856_7913594_7737871_n.jpg

I recently picked up a Canon XSi/450D and took a business trip to Baltimore this week. Had a free day, so I went down to Inner Harbor before my flight home.

This is my first crack with a DSLR, and thankfully the Canon photo editing software is pretty easy to work with.

Had my first DSLR for some time until I discovered RAW and post processing software.

I love working with RAW and the software, can do incredible things.

Had my first DSLR for some time until I discovered RAW and post processing software.

I love working with RAW and the software, can do incredible things.

I agree, although I shot these in JPEG format...forgot to switch it back to RAW...I won't make that mistake next week when visiting Pittsburgh (one of my favorite trips).

Nice. Between these and your shots of the air show - are you former Air Force? My dad was Army Air Corps (WWII) and my son was in the Air Force so I try not to miss anything aircraft related.

My dad served in the Royal Indian Air Force towards the end of WWII and then as an airline pilot in India. I do have an affinity for airplanes, though never wanted to fly them myself. Too much air sickness in those old DC-3s!

Edited by dileep

My dad served in the Royal Indian Air Force towards the end of WWII and then as an airline pilot in India. I do have an affinity for airplanes, though never wanted to fly them myself. Too much air sickness in those old DC-3s!

I never flew until the mid-70's - we always took vacations by car.

From recent trip

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/LalBFDJKmAlhAyjJsi2cdr9exFpIyzmN-N4GWINKp70?feat=directlink

(Taken through glass of enclosure)

Can't get Picasa to work for me, though it did before. Are my file sizes too big? I tried all choices and check boxes; seems like it is working and then the dreaded red X raises its ugly head.

DSC_0151.JPG

Well, you'll just have to click the link. Well, guess not. It worked under small.

Edited by NHsnowpup

Are these Bokeh?

As mnbruce indicated, your second and third pics have bokeh. As noted in the article in the link he posted, bokeh is really a term to describe background blur. There are varying degrees of blur - from very "coarse" like in the pics I posted, where the background light is showing as circles, to very "fine" where you can't tell at all what the background is, as in the pic mnbruce posted. Getting very fine bokeh allows the subject to really "pop" and be the main focus, which is obviously achieved in his photo (lovely!). It all depends on what the photographer is trying to capture/create.

Note the terms I'm using are my way to describe it and not technical at all! :)

Andrea

I'm not on par with many on this thread but I wanted to share a photo with you too. Please bear (pun intended) that it was high noon and from a moving car. I love looking at everyone's photos. There's some real talent on this thread.

https://picasaweb.google.com/azcherrybear/Bearizona#5645763818681810338

Edited by cherrybear