The Way We Were: Was it better then?

Shelli

I guess I better order a new,FORMAL, SPEEDO. One in black tropical weight wool with satin inserts in the side. I can wear it over my DEPENDS. Wonder if they have DEPENDS in off white silk?:rolleyes:

A Depends made of silk would leak like a sieve. And then walking in the MDR wearing white with a big old pee stain in front.

You'll need a stick to fight off the ladies *LOL*

Ok, but I remember when air travel also used to be "an experience."

People dressed nicely for their flights--men worse business suits, women wore dresses or pants suits. Several of our friends are airline pilots, and their spouses/children were required to dress nicely (i.e., no sportswear, tennis shoes, or jeans) when they flew.

Times change. Expectations change. I don't get any more bent out of shape when I see someone in sweats on an airplane that I do when I see someone in the MDR on formal night wearing shorts.

I like being able to cruise casually, which is one of the reasons we're loyal to Carnival.

There used to be a lot of pomp and circumstance surronding cruising as it used to be much more expensive and much more elitist - not any longer. If you saw those old NCL videos that were posted a while ago, you know what I mean.

Same thing with air travel, when you open anything up to the masses it becomes less of an elitest acticity with less pomp and circumstance. We pay $400 to fly cross country when we used to pay $4000. People used to get upgraded to first class all the time, usually because they were paying thousands for a ticket and most times they were dressed nicely. Now a days, getting an upgrade without frequent flyer coupons or full fare tickets is virtually impossible.

When something becomes cheaper and open to everyone the pomp and circumstance required from earlier times goes by the wayside. You used to get dressed up to fly, go to church, go to dinner etc. etc., but more and more dressing up is done less and less. Not that being cheaper is a bad thing, because if it was not less expensive than years ago, I would never be able to cruise!

I think people should be able to wear what they like to the MDR as long as it is within the guidelines published by the cruise line. If it says no sandals, it means no sandals, no shorts means no shorts. Other than that fare game, dockers, kackis, dress pants, suits and tuxes if you choose.

I still like getting the tux out every once and a while (have to suck the gut in though) but that is just me.

So sorry, just now saw your post about air travel, or I wouldn't have said the same.

Ooops!:o

The more you cruise out of the deep Sotho the trashier/walmart you get...especially when carnival makes cruises so reasonable... That said if folks don't want to dress up the should go to...remember you can take some folks out of the trailer park but........

I would learn to spell and use proper grammar before I put others down. ;)

Archived