Austrian Lake District

From an AMA cruise down the Danube, one of our choices, on one day, is to visit the Austrian Lake District (the Salzkammergut), including the town of Gmunden and the Castle Ort. Our other choices are Cesky Krumlov or Salzburg. Is anyone familiar with the Lake District? We are having trouble making a choice from these three options because the beautiful countryside appeals more than another little old town. Both of the latter two have been recommended, but no one seems to know much about the Lake District.

I know this does not seem to be the proper forum to post about Austria, but there is no Eastern Europe forum. I emailed for help but the "help" I got was particularly inept.

Thanks for any light anyone can shed on this matter.

That is a very difficult choice. All three places are spectacular, imho.

A possible consideration: If the weather is bad, a trip through the Salzkammergut would more more seriously affected than a trip two one of the towns.

Also, it is not like the countryside around Cesky Krumlov and Salzburg is not worth seeing.

I'd choose Cesky Krumlov, I think, but I also think you will be happy with any of the choices (I would guess most would vote for Salzburg, btw).

IF you go to Salzburg, I reccommend the Wasserspiele at the Archbishop's residence. If the weather is nice and it is warm it is a lot of fun looking at the various water fountains and jokes that the Archbishop created. I wouldn't bother doing the residence at all, just a few rooms with not much in them. what I am saying is don't bother getting the double ticket for both attractions, just do the wasserspiele. :)

Also there are 2 different Salt Mine tours. One is where you dress up in old miner's outfits and go down the mine slide which is a lot of fun. The other you just put on a white coverall and there is a train ride from the entrance to the inside of the mine. I personally enjoyed the one where you dress up in the old clothes. I think that it was in Bad Reichenhall.

Have fun, I love Austria. I have been centered mostly in Baden bei Wien lately so haven't been to the alp region in a few years.

Archived