San Juan with kids and only a 5pm- midnight port stop

anewmac

Whats a family of 4 with 2 boys age 12 and 8 to do? Is there enough time to check out the fort and some culture? Food? lol What else can we drag the kids too?

I would like to do some stuff with them. Last resort I can always take them back to the boat to the kids clubs so that daddy and I can explore.

Btw we will be on Carnival if that makes any difference/helps!.

Thanks

What night will you be here? And what month/date?

There are things to do in port at night, but most are not so "exciting" for the kids. History and beautiful architecture, good food and drinks etc. The forts are open until 6pm, Don Q free rum bar is open later, some nights there are shows. But, you can always just walk around OSJ and see things. It is lite up and safe. Get a map and a guide (available on-line- do a Google search for a "walking tour of OSJ" . There are also guided walking tours and food tasting/walking tours available.

Or you can do the BioBay (if the moon is right). Or for some excitement, a zip line or ATV or horse back riding at night. If it is in the winter, you may be able to catch a live baseball game.... there are lots of choices, but it all depends on dates....

• 2 weeks later...

My son has been going to Senor Frogs there since he was 5. I always take a pic of how much he's grown by him standing in front of the Frog:D. He's 10 now and it's amazing how much he's grown! It's our first stop so it's not too rowdy then. He has to have his virgin pina colada yard (and I have to have my beer) and we eat nachos or something. Then we hit the store there and get our Senor Frog gear.

After that, we head to the market area that is set up by local vendors. I've gotten some of the greatest paintings and leather bracelets there. It reminds me of the flea market in New Orleans. There are a lot of people about so I've never felt unsafe, but I'm always aware of my surroundings.

Then we just walk around and look at the great buildings and take pics until we are ready to get back to the ship. Oh, one of the first things I need by then is a Mt Dew :p.

Whats a family of 4 with 2 boys age 12 and 8 to do? Is there enough time to check out the fort and some culture? Food? lol What else can we drag the kids too?

Your arrival might cut it a bit close to actually get inside the forts. You can get excellent views of El Morro coming into the harbor, so have cameras ready. There are good views of both forts from a walkway on the north side overlooking the Atlantic; from a broad grassy area outside El Morro; and there is a walkway that goes about a mile along the water from Paseo de la Princessa to Paseo El Morro (map available at visitor's center). If the pelicans are still awake you might see them crash-diving. There's plenty of picturesque architecture all through the Old City.

Hi! I was in San Juan with my two last year. We had an awesome time exploring the fort, El Morro. If you hurry, you will have time to explore it before dark. We took the kids back to the ship, then my husband and I joined family and friends at Senior Frogs. If your kids are Disney fans, they may have seen the fort in the movie, Wizards of Waverly Place, The Movie. My kids recognized it right off! There are a lot of neat backdrops for photo ops if your family is willing! The fort is within walking distance from the port also. There are many street vendors for browsing on the way back to the ship. Enjoy! ;)

Archived