"New Secret River" Excrusion?

parrotthead

see http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1090003&highlight=secret+river

Hi,

Has anyone done the "Amazing Secret River" tour offered by Royal Caribbean in Cozumel? The website description is vague and I was hoping for a bit of opinion along with description. Thanks.

looking at this myself ( Liberty in Feb )

google "Rio Secreto" to find much more about this as well as photos reviews etc (albeit not thru RCI excursions )

That tour actually takes place on the mainland, not on the island of Cozumel.

• 1 month later...

I am doing a solo cruise later this month and came across this excursion. I usually cruise with my partner and this is definitly not something he would be into. I figure this will be the best time to do something like it. Has anyone tried this yet?

We did this excursion last year on Liberty and it was amazing would highly recommend. But take precausions for the ferry ride over it was extremely rough.I would say 90%of the boat got sick. coming back was much better.Ask for Fernando he was our tour guide and he was fantastic very informative about the caves. They were truly the most beautiful caves I have ever seen. I,ve been to the caves in puerto rico and belize these were by far the best.

Is the amazing secret river excursion cave tubing??

No. Cave Tubing is in Belize. We did that a couple years ago. This is a system of underground caves on the mainland of Mexico. They go by a few names, but I found info on them under Rio Secreto. Here is a link to their website:

http://www.riosecretomexico.com/

I went ahead and booked it. I figured I may as well because it looks fantastic and is something my partner would never want to do. I will report back.

no you don't use a tube, you start out with a short walk thru jungle then descend small stairs under ground.You walk on the stagmites at first dry the futher you go the water is ankle deep then slowly the water gets deeper until you get to a point that the water is over your head and you swim through tha caves. the whole time they have a photographer following taking pictures for you. That was great because the pictures thetake are awesome. they don't push you to buy them either its your choice. they provide you with a wet suit and shoes.

no you don't use a tube, you start out with a short walk thru jungle then descend small stairs under ground.You walk on the stagmites at first dry the futher you go the water is ankle deep then slowly the water gets deeper until you get to a point that the water is over your head and you swim through tha caves. the whole time they have a photographer following taking pictures for you. That was great because the pictures thetake are awesome. they don't push you to buy them either its your choice. they provide you with a wet suit and shoes.

Thank you for this. I am really looking forward to it now. I was a little apprehensive because I am a picture freak and I saw the no cameras allowed. i can live with having a photographer with us. heck, it will be a new experience not having to line up the "perfect shot" every few moments.

Thank you for this. I am really looking forward to it now. I was a little apprehensive because I am a picture freak and I saw the no cameras allowed. i can live with having a photographer with us. heck, it will be a new experience not having to line up the "perfect shot" every few moments.

My son in law did this last week while my daughter and I did the cooking class. He had a great time. He paid the extra for the photgrapher's pictures.

He said he would do this excursion again.

My son in law did this last week while my daughter and I did the cooking class. He had a great time. He paid the extra for the photgrapher's pictures.

He said he would do this excursion again.

Thanks for the input. I am glad he had a good time. I am sure I will buy the pictures.

I've been looking at this one too. It looks pretty neat. We did cave tubing in Belize, which was okay but not as wonderful as some people made it out to be. The thought of having to swim through the cave is the part that concerns me...not sure my aunt would be up for that. Do you wear life vests?

I've been looking at this one too. It looks pretty neat. We did cave tubing in Belize, which was okay but not as wonderful as some people made it out to be. The thought of having to swim through the cave is the part that concerns me...not sure my aunt would be up for that. Do you wear life vests?

How old is your aunt. I wouldnt recommend this for the elderly, physically impaired or someone who couldnt swim, claustrophobic or afraid of the dark.

He mentioned that some parts of the water came up to his neck and he's 6 foot tall. We asked the same questions and he laughed. He said they did wear some sort of life vestie thing. He said the wives that came with their husbands would "float" on the top of the water and husbands would push them through the narrow/deep parts at some points. Sorry but it's hard to describe.

Oh, also at one point they have everyone turn off their head lamps and just sit in the dark, to feel what's it's like to be a creature living there- the only thing he could hear was the drip of water.

• 3 weeks later...
Wow! I didn't think the water was that deep--up to someone's neck that was 6 feet. I've been wanting to do this one, but now I'm not so sure--I'm 5'0 and my mother can't swim, but I thought the site says the water is shallow?

You'll have on bouyancy life vests. With a few couples the husband walked along pulling the wife who was floating-haha. I think the water level is dependent on the rains more than anything. If you go during the "dry" season, it is possible to be quite lower.

I am thinking of doing this excursion with my friend that I am cruising with on the Carnival Imagination at the end of the month, however she raised the question of exactly what kind of "creatures" may be in the water there. Specifically, she is very afraid of snakes. She says she can handle just about anything else.

Is there anyone here who has done this excursion who could comment about what type of 'critters' might be encountered? Thanks.

I am thinking of doing this excursion with my friend that I am cruising with on the Carnival Imagination at the end of the month, however she raised the question of exactly what kind of "creatures" may be in the water there. Specifically, she is very afraid of snakes. She says she can handle just about anything else.

Is there anyone here who has done this excursion who could comment about what type of 'critters' might be encountered? Thanks.

No snakes. There were a few very small fish in the underground river but that's it.

I just did this last week. My entire family (me, dh, dd10, ds12, 13). Our guide Gozo was fantastic. It can be taxing, but nothing is scary. The water was a little chilly,but not too cold (and I am a cold water wimp). the time in the water is not very long, most of it is just wading. The water has fish that hide from light. Also, barely visible plankton?shrimp (the size of Sea Monkeys) and small catfish. The moment of total darkness was brief. No snakes. There were a few spiders, but not close to us. Gonzo went out of his way to find them to show us. The pix were $25 for a print & $60 for the CD. The lunch was good: ham sandwhiches, salads, fruits, jicama, dif. juices/water/teas. Also at the end all adults were given a shot (or 2) of some liquor that tasted like black licorice. Overall, very cool!

Archived