Spending money in Europe

Any advice on how many euros to take, our TA recommended us £30 per person per day. As we'll have breakfast and dinner on the ship, I'm thinking snack for lunch, small souvenier from each destination. We have 6 days at sea (so no cost there, just straight on the credit card) and 8 ports, (1 is gibralter, is that a uk£ or their own £?)

We are 2 adults and 2 teens

Any advice on how many euros to take, our TA recommended us £30 per person per day. As we'll have breakfast and dinner on the ship, I'm thinking snack for lunch, small souvenier from each destination. We have 6 days at sea (so no cost there, just straight on the credit card) and 8 ports, (1 is gibralter, is that a uk£ or their own £?)

how small of a souvenier? Europe is expensive, and eating lunch out usually is about 12 euros a person

Find out if you can use your ATM in another country, I was surprised to see there was no fee on mine when I took out money there.

how small of a souvenier? Prob just something like a keyring

Europe is expensive, and eating lunch out usually is about 12 euros a person Thanks, we usually just have sandwich size meal and soft drink

Find out if you can use your ATM in another country, I was surprised to see there was no fee on mine when I took out money there. Need to get a new card so i'll check first, perhaps nationwide [/quote]

Our TA will accept up to £200 back at the rate we purchase, so we thought we'd take a little more than we need

gib has both so be aware if you spend UK pounds they may give you your change in Gib pounds, very similar but not used anywhere else, a bit like some of the Caribbean islands.

How much depends on a lot of things

1) Tours or DIY? How and who is paying for lunch? I could see easily spending 30/person for food and snacks depending on one's taste and style. Many resturants take CC but some don't.

2) Souveniors, most larger purchases can be handled with CC but again some vendors prefer cash and it only takes a few souveniors to blow 30 euros.

3) Transportation/tickets, again most take cash and only some take CC.

I'd plan much more, bring an ATM or two to cover your bases if you run short of cash. Avoid exchange on the ship as they are the worst.

"Europe" is a big place. If you're going to London 35€ per person per day would be tight, in Portugal you'll be living high on the hog.

Are your souvenirs postcards or original art? You're good for postcards, possibly ok for a t-shirt if you save up for a couple of days, but not much else.

For instance where I live (southern France, not in a touristy area) just today I paid 1.80€ for a bottle of soda at a machine at the hardware store. In a café the same bottle probably would have been 3€. Water or beer costs about the same. A sandwich lunch with a can of soda and a pasty is 6-8€, sit down lunch is never less than 12€, possibly more like 20€ with a couple of glasses of wine. In Spain where I also spend a lot of time (again not in a touristy area) it's probably 10% cheaper.

So it all depends.

Archived