The Cold War revisited

I'm sure that the news that the US arrested 10 Russians yesterday has by now received pretty widespread coverage. If this was the Middle East I would be concerned about elevated "political" repercussions, like cancelling all US visits. Would love to hear from anyone on the Russian side whether they think those of us cruising to St. Petersburg should have any concerns over whether Russia will take any action on their end that could affect our travel?

This sort of thing has been happening for years and really has little to do with the political climate. Obama and Medvedev were more importantly walking through Lafayette Park and sharing burgers in DC recently - this kind of thing indicates the political climate. Spies happen, we will see some US diplomats ejected (most likely they will have jobs that defy understanding unless one thinks CIA)

It's really a non story...believe me the US has spies in Russia as well as almost everywhere else. The British are our best friends, or at least they used to be before Obama de-emphasized our relationships with our traditional European allies in favor of the third world countries, and while the CIA and British inteligence really have a high level of cooperation, there are surely American spies in Britain and British spies in the USA...just as there are Israeli spies here and USA spies in Israel.....it's a very silly thing and really should have been a non story.

I came from the former USSR. Except for a drunkcard mumbling something in russian that you won't understand anyway, there will be nothing to be aware of related to politics. Just check regularly if the visa requirements change.

Archived