Splendour of the Seas

Just got off of her this past Saturday. Anything specific you wanna know? It was a nice ship. I had no complaints.

Sovereign of the Seas 2/20/04

Splendour of the Seas 5/29/04

Sovereign of the Seas 8/27/04

Jolene-we're on Splendour in July. Did you do any ship's excursions ? How did they go ? Were there 4 seatings times for dinner ? Were there tuxedos on formal nights ? Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply..........Isabel

I was on a 5 night out of Galveston on Splendour in April. We didn't have a chocolate buffet but had a "Gala Buffet" of all sorts of food the 2nd night and a Caribbean Buffet the 3rd night. I think on sailings originating out of the US there are only 2 seatings - we had late & preferred that just because we were usually late risers in the morning so we'd still be doing "stuff" around the ship or on shore by 6pm, the time of the early seating.

Formal night I would say runs more along the semi-formal lines. Some people were in tuxes & big ballgowns/prom type dresses, but most were just in "nicer" clothes like something you'd maybe wear to an afternoon wedding.

We were on deck 3 in outside adjoining cabins (for four of us, 2 in each cabin) and that worked out well. Rooms are generally small on the ship but since we normally had the adjoining door open during the day, it really felt spacious, plus we had the use of 2 bathrooms.

We did the western Caribbean but didn't have to tender - stopped at Costa Maya & Cozumel.

~*~ Disney Wonder 9/02 ~*~ RCCL Splendour of the Seas 4/04 ~*~

The Gala Buffet was set up in the dining room on deck 4. They clear out some tables and then put out all the food. There was a whole table just for deserts where they had all kinds of concoctions including chocolate. Most of the chocolate came in the form of cakes, but there were also chocolate covered strawberries which were very yummy!

~*~ Disney Wonder 9/02 ~*~ RCCL Splendour of the Seas 4/04 ~*~

We were also on the Splendour out of Galveston in April. It's a beautiful ship! There are two pools, one outdoor pool and the indoor Solarium pool only for those aged 16 and over. (I never saw anyone under 16 there.) That was our preferred pool area because it was less crowded than the outdoor pool. We had a balcony cabin on Deck 8 which was quite nice, especially since the bathroom was pretty large. Our kids were across the hall in an indoor cabin which was small and dark, but they were only there to sleep. There were lots of fun activities on board--shuffleboard, ping pong, miniature golf and the climbing wall. Of course, there were activities scheduled all day long too, so we never got bored on the sea days. We didn't take any excursions, opting to "do it ourselves". We had a great day in Cozumel snorkeling at Dzul Ha and beaching at Paradise Beach (see Port of Call board for info on these). We didn't care much for Costa Maya, but had a relatively decent time walking to Majahual. Have a great trip!

We were on May 15 sailing out of Barcelona.

Splendour is a beautiful ship, great 7 story atrium, glass elevators, wonderfull views from Windjammer during lunch and breakfest.

I didn't particulary like the food but it's because my previous and only cruise with NA company was on Celebrity, which is "foody" company.

Solarium pool is gorgeous (Roman style) It works 24 hours a day. Whirepools next to the Lido pool didn't work..

You also can play mini-golf or climb the rock.

Gala Buffets was beautiful, but I can't say the same about food there.

I liked live music but didn't attend the shows so I can't comment on this.

We had 4 seatings:

6:30 lower

7:30 upper

9:00 lower

10:00 upper

We had onside smaller cabin (138sq.ft) but very well appointed.

One thing I didn't particulary liked was that crew started to wash and clean Lido desk at 7pm last evening... I like to spend last evening there.

------------------------------

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Zuiderdam 8/21/04 FLL - Key West - Cozumel - Grand Caymans - Half Moon Cay - FLL

<LI>Splendour of the Seas 05/15/04 Barcelona - Marseilles - Villefranche - Livorno - Chivitavecchia - Naples - Barcelona

<LI>Century 07/12/03 Eastern Caribbean FFL-San Juan - St. Thomas - St.Maarten- Nassau -FFL

<LI>Komarno(Volga)07/91 Moscow - Astrahan' - Moscow (honeymoon)

<LI>Komarno(Volga)07/90 Moscow - Astrahan'- Moscow

<LI>Admiral Nachimov(or Nakhimov) (Black Sea)04/1986 Odessa - Batum

GO BRUINS!!!!

Cruisin Patty,

We were on the Splendour in February of this year. We took her through a partial Panama Canal sailing. I will try to answer any questions that you have.

We did not have 4 seatings for dinner.

We were on Dect 7 with a balcony.

Our cabin Steward was wonderful and she did appreciate the phone cards that I gave her as an added bonus.

Didn't get in the pool but did enjoy the hot tubs.

The shows were well worth seeing.

I wish I was back on her again.

We did all independent tours rather than book with the cruise line.

We have already booked our next cruise for Jan 2005

What else do you want to know?

God bless you and yours.

Cruizin Patty,

We rented a car in Cozumel and drove around the island. We joined up with another couple from our M & M group and split the cost of the jeep.

We went to Punta Sur which is a natural reserve for the turtles and alligators. Wonderful light house and seamans museum. They went to Coconuts for lunch... great fajatas and Dos Equis. Drove into town went to Carlos and Charlies... wish we had skipped that part. Hit some shops downtown then off to Paradise Beach which is free and is a wonderful beach.

Our next cruise is on the Brilliance to the Southern Carribbean.

God bless you and yours.

Patty,

It isn't a real distance.....but heck I live in the country and the nearest grocery store is four miles away. If you go the Port of Calls thread here on this board you can ask the Manager exactly how far and how much the Taxi will charge you to get to Paradise Beach. I would think it would cost you $10 each way but that is just a real big GUESS. Go to the Port of Calls, Cozumel.....and ask Tom. He will respond to your question better than I can. I hope you have a great cruise. We did all of our port days independently... it takes a little bit of research.... but it is worth it.

God bless you and yours.

Archived