The Caribbean in late July?

dk555

We are planning a cruise for our family of nine. A newly married late 20's couple, a family of 4 - mom, dad, a 1 1/2 yr. old and a 5 month old, a Grandma and Grandpa, and, a 26 yr. old daughter. We are thinking about the Caribbean but are concerned that in late July we will all be fried from the heat and sun. Any info about weather will be helpful. Also, we have only done a Celebrity Alaskan cruise and like newer ships (THE sUMMIT WAS WONDERFUL) , and, we really want balconies. What about the best deal for the $$ in cruise lines? Lots of ????... any help will definitely be appreciated. Also, when we went to Alaska, we dealt directly with Celebrity. Is is better to go directly to the cruise line or an agent? And if an agent, how do we find a good one?

I would be concerned with the high temps in relationship to the baby and toddler. I know you are not supposed to use sunscreen on a baby younger than 6 months old (unless one has been developed that I don't know about). There are also some lines that do not allow a child younger than 6 months old to cruise. You would also be travelling during hurricane season, so that is another thing to be consider.

As far as booking, I would use a TA or online agent, Celebrity and RCI are no longer allowing agents to advertise discounts, the pricing is all about the same now. There are some TAs who offer gift cards for bookings, I've found a fairly decent one online, but we are not allowed to give out names. It's one of the larger agencies that also does flight and package deals, starts with a T, can I write that?

I don't think Celebrity cruises the Caribbean in the summer months, but there are other lines that do. I'm convincing myself that you need to talk to an agent in person, someone who is familiar with several lines and has all the answers you need.

Look for a local cruise only agency, talk to several to find the one best for you.

Kathy, Thanks for your suggestions and comments. I do understand the 'travel' agent suggestion. I thought hurricane season was closer to September. Do you know how hot it usually gets? Thanks so much. Dianne

Hurricane season is June through November. I have looked, the average temps are in the high 80s to low 90s that time of year. Actually, not as hot as I would have imagined, I don't know about the humidity factor, that can make a big difference. Don't forget, you do have to keep the baby out of the sun at all times.

Hurricane season does run from June to November. It peaks earlier in the Eastern Caribbean (August) and a little later in the Western (September). The safest area to avoid hurricanes in the Caribbean are the "ABC" islands around Aruba in the Southern Caribbean.

The first tropical depressions started in July in 2004. Generally speaking, summer temps in the Caribbean don't vary by too much from the winter with tems in the high 80's to the 90's, but the humidity is oppressive. It's also much more rainy/stormy in the Caribbean in July and August.

You can cross Celebrity off your list because they aren't doing any Caribbean cruises in the summer. The closest you get is the Zenith (no balconies), who's cruising to Bermuda from New Jersey all summer, and the Horizon (no balconies) who's also cruising to Bermuda but from Philadelphia.

I saw you are from Chicago, so I can relate bc we are from NW Indiana. We took a cruise on RCI the last week in July (my wife is an educator, so had to go before school started!). The weather was more comfortable in the Southern Caribbean than it was at home. Keep in mind, the Caribbean is temperate, meaning the temps aren't much different from one season to the next. Cool breezes helped. When we were there, it was 90 and humid here (Indiana) so didn't really mind. One word of advice though, even though the weather FEELS the same, or better, the sun is a whole lot hotter there than here. The breeze can actually mask the fact that you are getting lobster-baked. With that in mind, I thought July was a great month!

Most of my cruises were done in August. way too hot--and the humidty is just too high. I couldnt even get in the water coz the water was warmer then the air. This year i am checking out cruising in February--leaving the cold for nice and warm.. should be different for me.

Also--lots of kids cruise in July. Prices are a wee bit much for me.

Archived