Seward to Anchorage Train Question

We're taking the Grandview train to Anchorage from Seward. Does anyone know approximately what time it leaves Seward? We are scheduled to arrive in Seward at 7:00 a.m. and wonder if we will have any time to explore any of Seward before the train leaves.

Thanks.

The train will meet you at the dock as soon as you disembark. It is a pleasant easy trip with great scenery. It lets you off at the airport. If you have a later flight you can go to the museum in Anchorage. We enjoyed it very much.

And just a FYI: if you want the view of Turnagain Arm and the Kenai Mountains, sit on the left. If you want to view the Chugach Mountains and possibly get a glimpse of Dall Sheep along the cliffsides, that's on the right. :) Either way it's a gorgeous ride and considered one of the most scenic in the US. Enjoy!

You literally walk off the boat and onto the train. Also the Airport stop is very convenient. As for seeing Seward, look off the deck before you get off and you will have seen it. There is a large marina and small town. The cruise lines bring people right to the ship and take them right off, so there is no real local commerce or sight seeing as the main goal before and after the three hour transit to or from Anchorage is to get the boat in and out.

The deal is the train ride, a very leisurely and very scenic beginning or ending to your trip. Much better than a bus ride from the port of Miami to the airport.

What time does the train arrive at the airport? Does it depart/arrive on time?

As to arrival time at ANC, don't know the exact time but, expect it to be around 12 - 12:30. Assume a call to Regent could get the scheduled arrival time.

As to arrive/depart on time? That will be determined for each arrival/departure as they occur. Sure everyone expects and wants the schedule to be adhered to but, things happen that can't be predicted and times change. Think the possibility of not meeting the schedule is why Regent recommends not scheduling your flight before 3 PM to allow for possible delays.

Same reason so many people recommend you fly to your departure port a day early to avoid missing your cruise due to unforeseen occurrences.

Certainly hope the train from Seward is on time in mid Sept. when we catch it to the Navigator. At least the Navigator won't leave if we are late like your plane will!!

Our flight is scheduled for 2:20 so we may be ok

Hope you are OK but, if not, do you have a plan B??

Train gets in at 12:30, 30 minutes to get your suit cases (can't carry them on the train), 10 minutes to checkin, 30 minutes to check in for your flight, 30 minutes to get thru security and 10 minutes to the gate, 2:20 for a 2:20 flight.

Whom, an extra minute to any of my estimates and you may be in Anchorage another nite?? My estimates are based on a lot of flying and dependent on the day of the week and the number of passengers. Your situation may vary.

As two who have done the reverse trip, i.e. Anchorage to Seward, we heartily endorse this trip. It is a wonderful beginning or end to a one-way cruise between Seward and Vancouver.

Is it as good a beginning to a one way cruise between Seward and China?:):)

Some of our best photos were taken on the train. We took it from Anchorage where we stayed overnight. In Seward we had a wonderful lunch at the seafood restaurant near the ship but , as you will have completed your cruise, you will probably not be hungry!!! This restaurant (forgot the name) was written up in the NY Times. There was a Helly Hanson store if that is of interest to you.

Loved Alaska!

• 2 weeks later...
Some of our best photos were taken on the train.

My favorite photo from an earlier Alaska trip we took was one I took of my husband on the Anchorage-Seward train. He was so happy being on a train with gorgeous scenery all around to photograph. Seeing him that happy always brings a smile to my face.

He really enjoyed going up to the car that is open (in part) where he could take pictures with no glass in the way. I hope the trains still have one of those cars.

Archived