Carnival Destiny Trip Review - Sailed 6/24/10

bowlinmoe

We left out of the Miami port and went to Key West and Cozumel, Mexico. This was my first cruise EVER and we had a suite with a balcony. I am 29 years old and I'm a guy. Here are some random goods and bads about the trip:

1. VIP check-in is the way to go. I highly recommend doing this. I saw the lines for non-VIP people at the metal detectors and the check-in counters and said to myself how irritated I would have been if I had to wait in those lines.

2. The safety meeting didn't take too long, which is good, but it was very crowded. There were 4 lines of people on the sides of the ship as we listened and watched all the safety stuff.

3. The room was nice. We couldn't figure out how to adjust the temperature in the room (seemed to be cold at times) but we lived with it. The beds and pillows were surprisingly very comfortable.

4. Drinks/alcohol was very expensive. Beers are $4.95 each and any other alcoholic beverage is more than this. I had a mojito and it was $10! I really think Carnival should address this. Maybe have an alcohol card like they do for the soda card?

5. Pools.....not enough pools. They did have plenty of chairs out to lay in, but I think that they didn't have enough pools for the amount of people on the boat.

6. Comedy shows were good, but started late. I'm getting old :D, shows that start at 10:45 are pushing it.

7. Food was just okay. Honestly, I expected better food.

8. Cozumel was rained out. Carnival did a great job of refunding out shore excursions to our sail and sign card promptly.

9. The boat didn't rock much at all. This wasn't an issue.

10. The shops had some great deals on the liquor. However, I do wish that the shops were open more and sold other stuff too such as gum, magazines, etc.

I think that maybe I'm just not a cruiser. I wasn't fond of the "herding" at port when we were getting back on and geting off the ship. I don't know, maybe I'll try a different cruise line next time so I have something to compare it to.

:(

I thought there was a cigar bar on most 'conquest' ships? Does the Destiny not have one???

Here it is: what about the Onyx Cigar Room? (back of deck 4/Atlantic) Did they not allow cigar smoking there? http://www.cruisecheap.com/ships/carnival-cruises-carnival-destiny-deck-plans.html

Destiny does have one. It is in the bar area where the internet cafe is.

Destiny does have one. It is in the bar area where the internet cafe is.

That's what I thought too, but no. That's where the Onyx bar is and before I even asked if I could light up my cigar, the bartender said that I couldn't smoke cigars there.

Cool, im on the Destiny in Sept.

My question: The ship shops sell Liquor? What were the prices like? And could you buy anything, rum, whiskey, tequilla?

Yes, the ship sells liquor but they don't give it to you until the night before you leave the boat because they don't want you drinking it and not buying drinks from their bar :p. The prices were very good. I bought a couple of bottles of Cruzan Rum for $8 each and then a bottle of Crown Royal Reserve for $35. They had a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue Label for $450 and something else that I didn't know what it was for like $1850!

That's what I thought too, but no. That's where the Onyx bar is and before I even asked if I could light up my cigar, the bartender said that I couldn't smoke cigars there.

That's awfully strange? Not beling allowed to smoke a cigar in the cigar bar sounds pretty silly to me?

Yes, the ship sells liquor but they don't give it to you until the night before you leave the boat because they don't want you drinking it and not buying drinks from their bar :p. The prices were very good. I bought a couple of bottles of Cruzan Rum for $8 each and then a bottle of Crown Royal Reserve for $35. They had a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue Label for $450 and something else that I didn't know what it was for like $1850!

Ok, thanks...just the regular duty free. I thought he meant you could buy and drink it onboard! Guess i will still be calling Bon voyage.

Ok, thanks...just the regular duty free. I thought he meant you could buy and drink it onboard! Guess i will still be calling Bon voyage.

Hi there I have a alcohol price list if you need to be more detailed for my 5/31 Destiny cruise.:)

• 3 weeks later...

According to John Heald Carnival just started restricting smoking more on some ships ....kind of an "experiment" I guess??

I just read that Destiny is one of them.....

I wonder...was the piano bar non smoking or smoking??

also ...any "fun times" to scan in?

How was the entertainment? Did they have a good "cover band"?

did you see the production shows??

Thanks for your review...I do agree cruising is not everyone's "favorite'

(I do love cruises however )

Wow - I sure hope they continue with the 'experiment' - would LOVE to see a non-smoking piano bar - sometimes the entertainment is really really good but I can only hang out there for 15-20 mins before I am 'overcome' with smoke!

It does sound like perhaps you are not a cruise person because nothing you talked about was out of line. (it sucks you were on the ship during the experiment) Lines are everywhere so that will be a tough one for you going anywhere.... lines at airport, lines at amusement parks...

Archived