Boarding the Victory in San Juan, luggage question.

SISer

Will be boarding the Vicotory in San Juan later this year and since the cruise is part of a long around the world trip I will have many things of sentimental value in my luggage. Can I check my luggage in locked? Will the locks be broked off at the port? What should I do regarding luggage I do like leaving it unlocked but I'm worried about problems this may cause. Thanks.

we checked ours last month on fascination locked and didn't have a problem. we weren't trying to smuggle anything so i wasn't worried about them cutting the locks. if they spot something on the xray that looks like a prohibited item, they may cut the lock or either page you to come unlock it. are the items you're concerned about something you can't put in your carry-on? i would be afraid to put something of value in my checked bag.....just because. i didn't mean to say you were trying to smuggle, just saying that would be a reason for them to cut the lock.

Space is an issue since I am on a long trip, I have some souveniers in my suitcase that cost alot of $. My carry on is stuffed too. I don't care about booze and I am not taking any onboard. I do have candles in my luggage since I am visiting some remote areas and camping too , I will keep the candles in my carry on at the security check. Don't care if they are taken away.

We checked our locked luggage in for our cruise on the Victory last Dec. they scanned it and called my husband to security to unlock it since they saw something they did not like..It was his nose hair scissors...lol..the women said well they looked bigger on the scanning machine.

Perhaps you should mail them home, as luggage can be handled roughly and stuff might get broken. On my last cruise (the Victory), between the time I handed off my luggage at the pier and the time it reached my room, my suitcase got crushed. Luckily, no breakables!

The last several cruises, we've used plastic zip ties for locking our luggage. If they want to inspect, they can cut the ties. We've never had any problem.

Our last cruise in June, we were expecting some sort of notice about locks but never got one. The only thing that surprised us was at the security check in. Camera's and cell phones had to be placed in the carry-ons. Hats had to go through the x-ray. Not a problem but our carry-ons were pack to the max. :D

We check in all 4 bags locked on this ship last year and had no problems. They do x-ray them so I am sure if they saw something in a bag they would break the lock to look at it closer.

Will be boarding the Vicotory in San Juan later this year and since the cruise is part of a long around the world trip I will have many things of sentimental value in my luggage. Can I check my luggage in locked? Will the locks be broked off at the port? What should I do regarding luggage I do like leaving it unlocked but I'm worried about problems this may cause. Thanks.

Archived