Celebrity's Children Center

synewton

I'm curious to hear from any parents that have taken young children ( between 5 & 8) on Celebrity and used their children's facilities. What were the hours? How many children were there? What time of year were you traveling? We'll be traveling in early February. Did they only have scheduled activities or could the children use the area for free play and to meet new friends?

Thanks. Sonia

March 2004 we took our two kids (ages 5 and 7) on the Celebrity Horizon. It was spring break time so there were quite a few kids. My kids loved the children's program and it was great. It is open pretty usual hours for cruise ships, 9-12, 2-5, 7-10.

The counselors they had were great. The activities were great - lots of crafts and fun activities and creative games. My kids always wanted to go back all the time. They have a schedule of what activities they will be doing at different times so your kids can choose if they want.

It was definitly a top notch program!

David

Sonia,

We had our 8 year old in the program on the Summit last Spring. It wasn't a big spring break week, so there weren't too many kids, but the program was run very well. Typically, it started about 9, closed for lunch, then went from 1 or 2, until another break for dinner. Then from 7ish to 10. After 10, you could pay hourly for what they called a slumber party, but basically provided them with free play time. On formal nights they would have a pizza party and stay open for dinner. And on port days, the club was open the whole time the ship was in port, so they could stay through lunch and sometimes dinner. I think you may have had to pay for some of that time, but I don't remember - we didn't use then.

Overall, the scheduled activities were great fun for them and most of the counselors were wonderful. If there was one shortcoming, it was the answer to your question about use of the facilities. We could not use it on our own. I'm sure there are reasons for this, but many times our son would have loved to just go in and play with a friend. That's why they loved the slumber party time so much - that was really their only chance to play what they wanted - and they had so much in there that kids love! I believe that you can check out certain games and toys for the kids to play out of the club,though.

Rolemodel123 ~

They will have scheduled activities for the teens, as well.

It will be important for you and your friends to attend the "initial meeting"...to sign up. Then, they know who you are...and how many you are...and then they will take it from there.

I understand that a lot of teens do not participate, which is unfortunate. What a great way to have cool games/parties....and meet other kids on the ship!

On Galaxy, they had a teen disco. It was small but nice. On our cruise, there were no teens (January cruise) so the younger kids used it for family activities.

Definitely let the kids club know you want to interact and I am sure they will be fantastic!

Thanks for the feedback. I wonder why travel agents don't recommend?

Sonia

It must be more of a reputation thing, and having once owned a travel agency, there are a lot of agents out there that know less than good consumers:rolleyes: . It takes a lot of time to educate yourself to everything that's out there. Every time I mention to an agent about cruising with kids, the first thing they suggest is Disney. Yet our kids actually enjoyed the Celebrity cruise more than the Disney cruise...

My son (8 at the time) hated the Horizon. He has been on Disney and loved it but said the Children's room was small and cramped and the counselors wouldn't call me to pick him up when he said he wanted to leave. The counselors were not where they were supposed to be when they were supposed to be there and would have the kids sit against the wall while they got supplies out and ran around -- very disorganized and disrespectful on several occasions. We next traveled on RCCL nd he can't wait to go back in March!

Archived