Beer in St Martin

JOHN 57

Presidente is pretty good. We drank a lot of that on our trips to SXM. So is Red Stripe (Jamaican beer). And in Phillipsburg, if it's a hot day and you're out shopping, you can get them COLD on the street and take it along as you stroll. If your going to buy beer to take to the beach, don't forget a bottle opener! A lot of local beers are not twist off. We found flip flops that have a bottle opener built right in to the sole so we're now always prepared!:) Enjoy your trip!

And don't forget to try the guavaberry liqueur while you are in St. Phillipsburg. The liqueur is made from guavaberries that grow wild on the island. Delicious when mixed into a colada like they sell at the Guavaberry Emporium on the main shopping street.

Dianne

Unfortunately, St. Maarten doesn't produce a local beer. I've thought for quite a while that a little micro-brewpub on the island would be a hit. Looking for financing. :)

Last year I asked the liquor manager for the largest grocery chain on the island, le Grand Marche, about beer popularity.

He said that his #1 seller was Heineken (St. Maarten side is Dutch), #2 was Coors Light, followed by a tie between Carib (from Trinidad) and Presidente (Dominican Republic).

My choice usually runs Presidente, Carib, Red Stripe, Amstel Bright.

I'll certainly accept a Heineken, especially if it's free from one of the jewelery stores.

gary

Back in the 90s (last century) there was a St Maarten Brewery but it was bought by the people who had the brewpub in Kings Domaion in Virgina and a another brewpub in Fernandia Beach, FL All have closed.:(

But in addition to GT's recs, you can find on St. Maarten, the Europeans thatyou may or may not find Stateside...Carlsburg(Denmark), Kronenburg (France's spin on Carlsberg), Leffe(strong Belgian not really suited for the Caribbean heat, IMO) and Erdinger's(Germany) Kristallklar which is a very nice clear wheat beer that does hold up well in the heat.:)

Good Morning everyone, thank you so much for your response, you have given me a great deal of information, which I find most useful, and alot of beerto try out. Thankyou for the tipabout guavaberry liquer. Thank you all again, John

Good Morning everyone, thank you so much for your response, you have given me a great deal of information, which I find most useful, and alot of beerto try out. Thankyou for the tipabout guavaberry liquer. Thank you all again, John

Try and see if you can sample the Guavaberry before purchasing it. It is an acquired taste and I personally think that it tastes like cough syrup.

On St. Maarten you can enjoy Amstel Bright (not Light) - it's only available apparently in the Netherlands Antilles. I'm a beer snob, but found this drinkable while sitting at Maho Beach watching planes.

Try and see if you can sample the Guavaberry before purchasing it. It is an acquired taste and I personally think that it tastes like cough syrup.

True, guavaberry liqueur tastes much like cough syrup if sipped straight up. But whip it up into a colada or mix it up with some 7-up, orange or pinapple juice or some of that holiday pomegranite 7-up and you have yourself a great cocktail.

Dianne

Back in the 90s (last century) there was a St Maarten Brewery <snip>

I'd guess it was 1995 (before hurricane Luis) that we had Soca beer, brewed on the French (St. Martin) side, as I recall. It must not have been very good.

On St. Maarten you can enjoy Amstel Bright (not Light) - it's only available apparently in the Netherlands Antilles. I'm a beer snob, but found this drinkable while sitting at Maho Beach watching planes.

True. That's why I mentioned Bright in my post above. We happened to be on-island for the product launch. It was at Prime Distributor's warehouse at a weekend 'Taste of St. Maarten' function, probably 6 or 8 years ago.

My wife was in the candy business at the time, and her business card got us in. A couple of dozen food and beverage operations had booths set up, but we zeroed in on Amstel. Spent the afternoon there with much free beer (and food samples) and we left (by taxi) with a case of beer, towels, a beach umbrella and more advertising items that we gave away.

gary

p.s. If you enjoy Amstel Bright, you'd probably enjoy Carib on the beach.

And don't forget to try the guavaberry liqueur while you are in St. Phillipsburg. The liqueur is made from guavaberries that grow wild on the island. Delicious when mixed into a colada like they sell at the Guavaberry Emporium on the main shopping street.

Dianne

Very very good stuff!!

I am a bit disappointed :( with the info given. One of my greatest reasons for travel is to taste the local beer.

I live in Trinidad :cool:, and we brew Carib here, we also sell Amstel Bright, Heineken, Leffe as well as some of the popular brands from the u.s. such as Bud, Miller, Coors. And our most popular beer is a local brew, Stag.

Guess since I am yet to try a Red Stripe, I'll have that.

A Algerian friend who lives on the French side bought us a beer in Orient Village a couple years ago - it had a number on the label - I think it was "1664". I know it was a beer I had never noticed before.

Archived