can u recommend charter service for fishing-will be in Anchorage

dsstasz

My husband and I will be landing in Anchorage on a Sat and estimate we will be in hotel by 3 pm. He is interested in going fishing. We're only in Anchorage til the morning. Can anyone recommend a charter service?

Thanks, Sue

We're getting in to Anchorage around noon and staying at the Springhill Suites by the Univ. of Alaska the night before we head down to the Kenai Peninsula.

You can order a fishing license on line and fish in their lake for Bluegill, Striped Bass, and Largemouth Bass. DH is bringing his fishing gear from home for the week prior to the cruise.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/ancum-springhill-suites-anchorage-university-lake/

There is also fishing in Ship Creek downtown.

I am in a similar situation, arriving in Anchorage at 8pm and leaving first thing next morning. I have decided to fish Ship Creek for the salmon run in early august. The hotel where I am staying actually has fishing gear at the front desk to check out. With so little time, this is my only option for Anchorage.

Go Cats

There is no charter fishing out of Anchorage. Ship Creek is the popular local spot for salmon. For a charter, most people go down to the Kenai, or to Whittier or Seward. I think you can also get charters out of Wasilla as well.

There is no charter fishing out of Anchorage. Ship Creek is the popular local spot for salmon. For a charter, most people go down to the Kenai, or to Whittier or Seward. I think you can also get charters out of Wasilla as well.

Actually there is fly-out charter fishing from Anchorage.

Many outfits charter out of Wasilla and Willow, both of which are much closer than the Kenai Peninsula. However, getting into the hotel at 3 makes it kind of late for an afternoon of fishing. You don't say what date you are talking about...that would make a difference in your possibilities.

We're getting in to Anchorage around noon and staying at the Springhill Suites by the Univ. of Alaska the night before we head down to the Kenai Peninsula.

You can order a fishing license on line and fish in their lake for Bluegill, Striped Bass, and Largemouth Bass. DH is bringing his fishing gear from home for the week prior to the cruise.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/ancum-springhill-suites-anchorage-university-lake/

I certainly could be wrong--it's been known to happen:o, but...

could you post the link directly to your fishing info here? It's not allowed in Alaska to stock a lake with non-native fish, and if Fish and Game did it, it's a well-kept secret.

If the rest of that site's info is as bad as for University Lake, I wouldn't trust any of it. Here is the correct information:

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Statewide/LakeData/index.cfm/FA/main.lakeDetail/LakeID/93

Only native species are stocked by ADFG. And there are no native bass around here....so don't bring your bass fishing lures!

Thanks for the information. I think he's more interested in trout and salmon anyway as he goes out for bass every weekend at home.

Anyway, now I'm confused. According to this, he can't fish in the lake because it is surrounded by AKU land. I called the hotel when I made the reservation, however, and they said he could fish there. I'm going to call again today to verify. It's really the only reason we chose to stay out of midtown. --Will let you know what I find out. Thanks again. :)

Suzanne, I am also staying at that hotel. Do you know what kind of fish is in the lake and if there is fishing gear at the hotel? Thanks.

It's rainbow trout in the lake, and here's the local fishing report:

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/FishingReports/index.cfm/FA/R2.ReportDetail/area_key/1

note that University Lake is catch and release only for the rest of the summer (not that you'd probably be keeping them anyway).

I'm not sure, but I don't think there are many large rainbows in this lake.

Update from a local --

"If I'm not mistaken the hotel you are staying at is on University lake. Its a beautiful lake, and has some huge trout in it (up to around 30 inches) but I've never had much luck there. Its very shallow and weedy and just hard to fish because its very popular with dog walkers and families.

Locally it really depends on what you like as to where to fish. I fish Lower Campbell Creek for Dolly Varden, its full of dollys between 6 - 15 inches, with a few larger smarter fish, but on average you can get about 6 a hour. If you go to Upper Campbell Creek, the rainbows are much larger, but bears are all over the place so I advoid it like the plague.

For Rainbows, I go a lot to Campbell Creek, its a small creek, but full of rainbows. In a average 10 hour fishing day there will average around 100+ rainbows there easily. Most fish are between 6 - 15 inches long, but its known for monsters between 24 - 28 inches. Both of these run right thru Anchorage.

Just outside Anchorage is Fort Richardson, it has 5 or 6 lakes in it. Its great fishing, but can get crowded, if you have waders or a small pontoon/float tube, it would be better. Its an Army base but anyone can get on for free to fish. If you go, Clunie, Walden, and Gwen are the best.

Little Campbell Lake in Kinkaid Park is nice, lotsa big Dollys there, just harder to get, when your not ice fishing. But rainbow fishing is good. I catch most of my trout and dollys on a handful of lures:

#0 Blue Fox Vibrax Spinner in colors copper or silver

Small plastic trout worms on a #6 hook, no color preference

Fly rod always works

Small kastmaster spoons or sweedish pimple spoons"

So there you go. DH is packing waders and God knows what else in his suitcase. I think it's a safe assumption that we will not be seen in the dining room on formal night.:)

And what exactly is a "sweedish pimple spoon"?

Archived