San Fran - Pacifica or Airport area

Canuckjammer

I'll be staying for 3-4 nights post cruise in SF in late Sept and will also be renting car. Looking for help in deciding between HI Express in Pacifica or South SF Airport North. Or any other reasonable places.

Can anyone give input in either hotel or either area?

Will Pacifica be colder and socked in with fog?

Since you are renting a car your choices of a place to stay are much better. Is there a specific reason to stay close to the airport?

The weather in Pacifica is better than average in September (see: http://pacificcoastfogfest.com/) and I would stay there before I would stay in South City, just for the scenery if nothing else. If you want warm, you could head further south. Do you have a specific budget?

Hi there! I LOVE September & October weather in the Bay Area ... it is our summer! Generally, it is fog free, sunny and warm.

Pacifica should be lovely ... but it is a tiny town. Not much services and a hike to get anywhere.

South San Francisco is industrial and no fun at all for a vacation.

Tell me more about what you want to do... and why you need a car.

I need a car because I'll be travelling with my 78 yr old Dad who can't do much walking. We'll probably spend most of our time sightseeing along the coast (both north & south of SF) and just a little time near Fisherman's Wharf and a couple of other areas in SF.

I think from the info I've received back, I'm leaning towards staying in Pacifica rather than South SF, near the airport.

Is Pacifica still handy to access highways?

Could you give a little more detail about what you want to do?

I'm asking because that way we can collectively come up with better ideas (e.g. if you were spending a day in Sonoma or Napa County we could tell you that basing yourself in Pacifica or South City is a bad idea, and figure out something that will take full advantage of your rental car.:D)

I need a car because I'll be travelling with my 78 yr old Dad who can't do much walking. We'll probably spend most of our time sightseeing along the coast (both north & south of SF) and just a little time near Fisherman's Wharf and a couple of other areas in SF.

I think from the info I've received back, I'm leaning towards staying in Pacifica rather than South SF, near the airport.

Is Pacifica still handy to access highways?

Pacifica isn't exactly on the highway ... guessing 10-15 min to hit the highway. It is a bedroom community but it is on the ocean and affords amazing views.

We do an event at the bowling alley at Pacifica - the only bowling alley with a stunning view of the ocean - truly striking (couldn't resist :) )

It is a cute, quiet town - about 25 min from downtown San Francisco. Fall should be lovely ... I wish I could remember, but I stayed in a nice small hotel that had a fireplace AND view of the ocean. Do opt for ocean view ... you don't want to come all this way and not enjoy every minute.

Going south, half Moon Bay is a delight with lovely dining options, the town of Pescadero is quaint and well worth the extra five minutes off Hwy 1 ~ Pacific Coast Hwy (a bakery to DIE for!) ... Ano Nuevo is one of my favorite places in the whole world, with up-close-and-personal interactions with elephant seals.

Let us know if we can help further. A word of caution ... the Bay Area can be addictive!

Pacifica isn't exactly on the highway ... guessing 10-15 min to hit the highway. It is a bedroom community but it is on the ocean and affords amazing views.

We do an event at the bowling alley at Pacifica - the only bowling alley with a stunning view of the ocean - truly striking (couldn't resist :) )

It is a cute, quiet town - about 25 min from downtown San Francisco. Fall should be lovely ... I wish I could remember, but I stayed in a nice small hotel that had a fireplace AND view of the ocean. Do opt for ocean view ... you don't want to come all this way and not enjoy every minute.

Going south, half Moon Bay is a delight with lovely dining options, the town of Pescadero is quaint and well worth the extra five minutes off Hwy 1 ~ Pacific Coast Hwy (a bakery to DIE for!) ... Ano Nuevo is one of my favorite places in the whole world, with up-close-and-personal interactions with elephant seals.

Let us know if we can help further. A word of caution ... the Bay Area can be addictive!

Hello from Pacifica: They are right best time to visit Pacifica is Sept or Oct. Fog is mostly during the summer months. She is right we are a small town of about 40,000.

The hotel she is referring to is Pacifica Beach. If you say there don't eat there. Service is really bad, food is okay. If your at HI, for breakfast Nick's is 1/2 block away. HI is right next to the ocean. There are a few places in that area to shop and eat at (Rockaway area). The Hwy is right there too, it is refer at Hwy 1 or Great Highway or Cabrillo Highway. Half Moon Bay is about 20 min drive on week day but weekend is about 30 mins. I love Half Moon Bay. Main Street has cute small shops, indoor or outside places to eat. Ask the front desk for directons.

Napa area is about 1 1/2 hour drive north. I usually go to St. Helena area.

There is parking by Fisherman's but it is expensive. Lots to see and do in that area. If you do street parking pay attention to meter. Some Sunday's that area is blocked off from cars. So check your dates for this if you plan on a Sunday.

• 1 month later...
I'll be staying for 3-4 nights post cruise in SF in late Sept and will also be renting car. Looking for help in deciding between HI Express in Pacifica

How about the Lighthouse hotel. We enjoyed our stay there. It is right on the ocean.

If you are looking for a jumping off point for touring the Bay Area, I would pass on both Pacifica and South City. Pacifica is on the other side of the hill from the main arteries and is a bedroom community with a often fogged in ocean view. South SF is congested and kind of worn in many places.

I would consider either San Mateo to the south or San Rafael to the north. Both are beautiful old cities on 101, the main North-South Freeway. In both, you can find very nice accommodations with free parking at fairly reasonable rates. Both cities house historic California missions.

San Mateo is a jumping off point for Silicon Valley, Santa Cruz, and the Monterey area. San Rafael is the place to start out for the Napa and Sonoma Valleys, old Sacramento, as well as the Point Reyes National Seashore. By the way, September is a spectacular time to visit the wine country, as the harvesting of the whites is underway.

If you are looking for a jumping off point for touring the Bay Area, I would pass on both Pacifica and South City. Pacifica is on the other side of the hill from the main arteries and is a bedroom community with a often fogged in ocean view. South SF is congested and kind of worn in many places.

I would consider either San Mateo to the south or San Rafael to the north. Both are beautiful old cities on 101, the main North-South Freeway. In both, you can find very nice accommodations with free parking at fairly reasonable rates. Both cities house historic California missions.

San Mateo is a jumping off point for Silicon Valley, Santa Cruz, and the Monterey area. San Rafael is the place to start out for the Napa and Sonoma Valleys, old Sacramento, as well as the Point Reyes National Seashore. By the way, September is a spectacular time to visit the wine country, as the harvesting of the whites is underway.

That is another good way of looking at this. The Bart Station is in Millbrae right off of Highway 101. I would use Bart for any touring for some of San Francisco. You can get off at Powell Street and the Cable Car is right there and this will take you past Union Square and over to Fisherman's Wharf.

If you are looking at visiting the wine country Sonoma, Petaluma I am not sure of the pricing of hotels in that area.

If you want to do both split the nights up.

If you do stay in Pacifica and cruise along the coast, try to make a stop at Princeton Harbor (always liked Barbara's for fish) and then have a drink around sunset on the deck at Moss Beach Distellery (they provide the blankets).

Archived