Inside Cabins

Vernipper

I have just booked my fifth cruise and 4 have been inside, one was an outside. THe outside was a waste of money. WE had a dirty (covered in salt water) windown taht we could barely sea out of but the room was the same size. I save the money, and cruise more often and take more excursions. The one I just booked was an 800.00 differnce for 2 of us to go to the lowest category of balcony. That's almost the cost of another cruise.

luv insides. lower cost means more cruises. some people prefer them for sleeping. if someone might miss the window, set the tv on the webcam channel, mute the sound & you have instant window.

My feelings exactly. I've had balcony, OV, and insides. Because of the great price on Inside Cabins, I've been able to take two 12-day Mediterranean cruises(2nd one is coming up) in three years. I put the bridgecam on, mute the sound and turn it off when I want it darker for sleeping. I'm a light sleeper, too, so that helps.

On some ships the insides and oceanviews are the same size and furnished the same. Under those circumstances, yes, an inside is okay with me.

However, on some ships the oceanview and inside are very different..the ocv(s) are bigger and have a couch inside of one small chair and a vanity stool. If the price is not too different, I would opt for the ocv in that case just for cabin comfort. We like to veg in the afternoon and it sure makes a difference.

JMHO.

I asked this question because I've seen so many posts on the importance of balcony cabins.

We have been cruising for many years and have always booked inside guarantees. From time to time, we were upgraded to Ocean View, but still prefer inside.

In the beginning, we did it for the price. We always took our two girls and they were 3rd and 4th in the cabin. A bit of a squeeze but we managed. If we didn't we wouldn't have been able to go as a family.

Now that the kids are grown and we can afford a balcony, we still book inside cabins, for most of the reasons mentioned and that my nature is not to throw away money on things I don't need.

I just checked a random cruise Pride (August 15)

Category IS $2,34.70

Category GS $4,732.70

For us it's practical and sensible way to go....

There is so much talk about cabins, but I can't remember seeing anyone bestow the virtues of an inside cabin.

Can anybody stand-up for Inside Cabins??

I'll stand up for inside cabins. I'm going on my 6th cruise tomorrow and I haven't had a cabin with a balcony since my first cruise. It was nice to walk outside for a few minutes, but the hours that I prefer to use the balcony are at night. The very dark sea was scary at night IMO. Even if you didn't look down at the water it was very dark and you only saw lights if the ship was nearing land. After that first cruise I've had cabins with an oceanview or obstructed view, and I believe I had an inside cabin with no obstructed view. I can't remember because it really didn't make any negative impression on me. Even with the balcony, I left a bathroom light on with the door slightly ajar. I spend very little time in the cabin and it would be a waste of money for me to pay for another balcony.

I've always left the bathroom door ajar with the light on at night or had a nightlight. Someone suggested the tealight candles that are battery operated (remember!! no real candles on a ship!!) and I am going to try those next time. I think I will also take a "touch" light for getting up in the dark.

I can only speak for us. First two cruises we got a balcony, but we are social people and spent 95% of our time up on the decks with everyone else. So the balcony was a waste to us. Yes they are nice but if you dont use them why pay the extra $$$$

Since then we usually spring for the highest deck Inside on the Lido or deck below. Suits us just great as it is close to the action of the lido, (close by if we need to use the toilet) and dark and quiet to sleep in.

I booked a 4K for the Spirit cruise and got a ear full from the other half because it wasnt a inside. (In my defense the 4K was the cheapest at the time of booking)

The both times we took a cruise, we had inside cabins. We never spent much time in them, so we didn't care. This time we splured on an OV because it's the first cruise with the kids and we thought they would like to look out. Then I was able to upgrade to a balcony for the same price. I couldn't afford the balcony when I first booked, so that was nice. I'd rather have an inside or OV and save the money that would have been spent on a balcony if there is a big price difference.

I can only speak for us. First two cruises we got a balcony, but we are social people and spent 95% of our time up on the decks with everyone else. So the balcony was a waste to us. Yes they are nice but if you dont use them why pay the extra $$$$

That's us, too. When I am in the cabin I am always thinking, "wonder what's going on around the ship?" and have to go see. Had a balcony in Alaska and wish I'd had OV instead as I was too cold out there. Always.

It it means taking a cruise or not taking a cruise, take the inside cabin. Nothing wrong with it. It's still as comfortable as the ocean view or balcony -- you get the same amenities, etc. We've done it to save money to use for our excursions and shopping (ha! ha!). I have to admit our first time going into the room, I thought, oh no. But after being out and about all day, it was such a nice "bear den" to sleep late.

It is just my 14 year old son and I ? Would it do for us?

Charleyann

Yes, any room on Carnival ships will be enough for the 2 of you. I saw on the other thread that you booked the 1A room with the 2 windows. That is an awesome room! I would always recommend one of those! It sure looks to be much bigger than a standard 160 sq.ft. 1A as well.

If that room or the 1A porthole rooms aren't available, that's when I recommend that people go with a category PT or 4A instead of a 1A that has no outside view. For only $20pp more than the 1A, you get the bigger room (plus portholes with PT) and 2 regular beds that can be pushed together.

I do love inside rooms, mainly for the value. But when you can get an outside view (with the 2-window 1A rooms or the porthole rooms) for the same price or lower than a standard inside room, you might as well take the room with the outside view. You can always cover the window/porthole with the curtains if you want to nap in the daytime.

Just got off the Glory yesterday...my first 4A porthole.......I will always book one of these now....worth the price. We realized with an inside cabin( no balcony I should say) we did much more on the ship. When we have a balcony we tend to sit in our room. With an inside we were out and about enjoying the ship. I love inside rooms.

We always do inside rooms. I tried a balcony on my last two cruises. I like the balconies purely for smoking reasons, very convenient. But, next year, its back to the inside rooms. I want to be able to cruise more each year. :D

When I first started cruising in the mid 90s, I only had inside cabins because that was all I could afford. Some time in the early 2000s, I had a porthole but wasn't impressed. Then last year, I learned about the double wide balcony cabins and Cat 9A (which I guess is now 9Bs and 9Cs). That was a wonderful revelation. We had a double wide balcony last June, and a wrap around aft balcony---just one month later in July---thanks to the Swine Flu epidemic. In 6 days, we have an inside spa cabin booked. If I had the money, I would've booked a spa balcony. In every instance, if I have the money, I would book a balcony. Since times are the way they are, we go with what we can afford at the time of booking. For our upcoming NYE cruise, we have a Cat 1A. And for our Magic TA, we have a double wide balcony.

Archived