Can I remove the mandatory on board gratuity charge?

SISer

I should also add that comparing workers in a land based restaurant/resort etc and tipping in those venues is entirely different to tipping on cruise ships. The workers in the land based businesses do not have their accomodation and living expenses covered by their employee.

Tipping onboard is an entirely different issue with a different set of circumstances. Just like at home, we tip the delivery boy, restaurant servers, hairdressers, etc differently depending on what is appropriate.

I would think that too, Dan. But based simply on the number of "What's not included?" posts here from newbies (and if this is only 2-3% of the cruising population, I can imagine that many more that are clueless running around out there without doing any research), the cruiselines are not doing a very good job of 'splainin' what is NOT included. I don't peruse the other boards (RCI, NCL, etc.,) but I would imagine they get similar posts as well. I know I have read posts on this board from people who were amazed to learn of the "extra costs" of cruising. I think sometimes we take it for granted.

Trust me. The ignorant sailed back then as well. But as opposed to posting, you heard, "I didn't know". You quickly found out why.

I should also add that comparing workers in a land based restaurant/resort etc and tipping in those venues is entirely different to tipping on cruise ships. The workers in the land based businesses do not have their accomodation and living expenses covered by their employee.

Tipping onboard is an entirely different issue with a different set of circumstances. Just like at home, we tip the delivery boy, restaurant servers, hairdressers, etc differently depending on what is appropriate.

Except you are forgetting that those ship employees have living expenses back home that they need to pay. They also have families to feed and support. So yeah they get a closet to live in with 2-3 strangers and food not as good as what the passengers get, but they still have expenses both on and off the ship to pay.

Except you are forgetting that those ship employees have living expenses back home that they need to pay. They also have families to feed and support. So yeah they get a closet to live in with 2-3 strangers and food not as good as what the passengers get, but they still have expenses both on and off the ship to pay.

This is why they chose this opportunity to make more then they ever could in some of their countries......

We had the opportunity to meet a wonderful married couple from the philippines on the Mariner......they were taking their vacation break the day we disembarked to go home and spend time with their children and were so happy they were able to sign on for another 6 months when they returned........most families in their country all lived together......mom, dad, kids, grandparents etc......so they were not worried for their children.

They were so happy they had the means to send their children to college and give them not one but 2 wonderful homes......

I would think that too, Dan. But based simply on the number of "What's not included?" posts here from newbies (and if this is only 2-3% of the cruising population, I can imagine that many more that are clueless running around out there without doing any research), the cruiselines are not doing a very good job of 'splainin' what is NOT included. I don't peruse the other boards (RCI, NCL, etc.,) but I would imagine they get similar posts as well. I know I have read posts on this board from people who were amazed to learn of the "extra costs" of cruising. I think sometimes we take it for granted.

Cruiselines and TA's can only list what is included. They cannot make our nearly ignorant society READ what is listed in the adds.

We have more and greater sources of info than we've ever had. Yet with no more than a cruiseline brochure everything was clear 40+ years ago.

It should be even more clear today, but the number coming on here and asking What is included is ample proof that our society doesn't want to read what is in front of them. They want to be told and by US? We have no official standing, but it is easier to listen to our accurate and inaccurate information rather than make the effort to actually learn something on their own. But I have no strong feelings either way!!:D:D:rolleyes:

Cruiselines and TA's can only list what is included. They cannot make our nearly ignorant society READ what is listed in the adds.

We have more and greater sources of info than we've ever had. Yet with no more than a cruiseline brochure everything was clear 40+ years ago.

It should be even more clear today, but the number coming on here and asking What is included is ample proof that our society doesn't want to read what is in front of them. They want to be told and by US? We have no official standing, but it is easier to listen to our accurate and inaccurate information rather than make the effort to actually learn something on their own. But I have no strong feelings either way!!:D:D:rolleyes:

Dan you have to admit most of the questions on here are answered on the Carnival website too so I agree with you

Dan you have to admit most of the questions on here are answered on the Carnival website too so I agree with you

I have often recommended to newbies that they pick up a brochure from ANY TA and read at least all the back pages. THEN come here and FILL IN their newly gained knowledge.

And I have often been chastised by others on the board for being "so mean" as to suggest that someone help themselves!

I agree with those who say you CAN remove them but you SHOULDN'T because the tips are distributed amongst some employees you'd never be able to find to tip in person.

I go by the guideline of giving the standard gratuity and then giving extra tips to those individuals who go above and beyond or do something extra for us. Kind of like in a restaurant tipping the standard 20% for typical service or tipping more for excellent service.

I always tip extra on cruises because people always goes out of their way for us. Our room stewards and dining room team have always been extraordinary and I appreciate them so much. They work hard trying to please all different types of people and even at the end of a long day when they must be tired they are still always so warm and friendly and gracious. We normally get to know the people who are serving us and find out a little about them and their families during our cruise and we're sad to say goodbye. We always tease that we want them to come home with us!

I love cruising and of all the expenses I pay: taxes, parking fees, gas, etc. I feel like crew tips are the most deserved and the best value for what I receive in return.

It is not shared with laundry personel........it is broken down on the carnival website......take a looky;) You are confused;)

I thought we were talking in general.We just did a Princess and they even had a sign on the pursers desk explaining that it went as far even to the laundry personel.

Just remember one thing,the lines are not processing that amount of money for free.

I thought we were talking in general.We just did a Princess and they even had a sign on the pursers desk explaining that it went as far even to the laundry personel.

Just remember one thing,the lines are not processing that amount of money for free.

Carnival has stated on this board through John Heald that they make no charges against the employees for handling their tips.

Do they do electronic banking transfers for free? I don't know, but nobody else does so the employees would pay some charge to wire money home. Carnival could easily do it free, it would be such small potatoes to them.

Let us maybe finaly get this one over and done with. The tipping system is wrong period. Get over it. It allows the companies to use what is little better than slave labour. Should you tip. No. Remove your tips and if enough people stop doing this stupidity then the companies will be forced to simply add to the cruise price and pay staff properly

We just returned home today from a Carnival Cruise. We went to Guest Services early in the week and they removed the gratuity from our credit card. We left tips to the people we wanted to and the amount we wanted to (which was more than the suggested amount). We had no problem doing it this way.

Let us maybe finaly get this one over and done with. The tipping system is wrong period. Get over it. It allows the companies to use what is little better than slave labour. Should you tip. No. Remove your tips and if enough people stop doing this stupidity then the companies will be forced to simply add to the cruise price and pay staff properly

Please make sure you let them know you won't be requiring the service and there'll be no reason to tip them.

When I go on vacation to the UK I hope they stop the stupidity of driving on the wrong side of the road. Where I come from we don't drive on that side of the road and I dont like it.

When in Rome....

Bill

How many times can people be wrong? Just quoted a person.

Well, everything about this post is wrong. Amazing.

LOL>..and that is why they require UK passengers to have the tips NOT removable on the Victory cruise for those who get on in Barbados and also on some of the European cruises LOL

They DO add the tips in the cruise fare for Brits,,,,,,,,coincidence?:p:rolleyes:

Hahaha...I just LOVE these tip threads. I am so glad so many of you tip so much (at least you claim you do) to offset those that don't. Do you get gold stars from the crusieline for that?? Good! People at restuarants in Mexico and the Caribbean work for much less than they do in the USA...do you tip them excessive amounts to ensure they get USA minimum wage? Do you bargain with Mexican/Caribbean vendors?? Don't you realize you make their standard of living much lower when you do? Why not shower them with money as well??? Do you insist on paying the list price for your cruise? Or do you pay the "going rate" and try to weasel a bottle of wine out of the travel agent? Do you smuggle on alcohol? Do you call the cruiseline demanding OBC when the rate goes down $20?? Sounds like you are all a bunch of cheapskates to me!

Bottom line is we have the right to CHOOSE whom and when we tip or not. We may feel cheap one day and not tip anyone or generous the next day and double the forced tip. Maybe we are cheap, maybe not. The cruiseline says it is voluntary. That makes being cheap or not irrelevant. Case closed.

Here is a little something on the website when I click on the banner ad just below this message...

"Once on board, let the good times roll because just about everything is included. Enjoy delicious meals in various onboard restaurants, including your comfy accommodations with the complimentary 24-hour stateroom service."

Do you know what complimentary means? It means no payment is required. If you choose to give someone a hundred bucks extra to do their job, more power to you. It does not mean that someone who does not is actually any of the derogatory names you people muster out.

Cruiseline employees are not dumb. Do you think they are going to tell you they live in a multi-story house with servants taking care of their every need while snacking on caviar every day? That would probably not result in many tips would it? No, they will tell you they live in multi-family tents eating grass for supper. They know they can sucker at least some fools into giving them money. Sounds like the American way to me.

Here is the part on gratuities...

"At your discretion, you may adjust the gratuities at any time while onboard. Gratuities will be deemed undisputed unless a request to modify is received prior to disembarking the ship. For beverage purchases, fifteen percent of the bill is automatically added to the Sail & Sign charge. Room Service staff may be tipped as service is rendered. Tipping your Maître d’ is at your discretion, based upon the service you receive."

Do you know what "at your descretion" means? It means you can do what you want. Room service staff MAY be tipped; the only tip forced upon you is for drinks. They certainly can and do imply that tips may be given, but that means nothing. As long as they let you sail whether you give or not, all are entitled to the same services and benefits, whether they give or not. Case again, closed. (NCL's "service charge" clearly disclosed up front is a step toward requiring tips.)

So all you people on here that play God every time a tip question comes up, just keep it up. It makes you no more or less special, priviledged, or human than anyone else on these boards. All it does is show how opinionated and ignorant you are, in that you can't answer a simple question without glorifying yourselves and licking your own chops.

I look forward to your constructive (hahaha) comments. Maybe I will check this thread in a year or two to see them when I need a laugh!

Here is a little something on the website when I click on the banner ad just below this message...

"Once on board, let the good times roll because just about everything is included. Enjoy delicious meals in various onboard restaurants, including your comfy accommodations with the complimentary 24-hour stateroom service."

Do you know what complimentary means? It means no payment is required.

Never have used room service, so I've never tipped on that. But I do know it's complimentary.

WitchitaDave,

You could not have said it better. I have no intentions of removing my tips but in my case My husband and I are paying for 3 cabins to accomodate our family. We have two 23 yo's in one room, 4 11-17 yo's in another plus one for us. Since the rooms are so small and we didn't want to fall over each other. Trust me you all did not want to see my bill directly to CCL. To add my tips it will cost another $600. When I called my PVP they did say everything was included the list went on for 5 min. and trust me he did list everything in the universe for about that long. I could not cut him off. If we had not cruised two times prior I would have believed him and would have been extremely shocked to get on the cruise and have this additional bill. Never did he mention the additional "tipping" policy or give me the opportunity to roll it in my bill to pay it in full before we went on the cruise. I just learned on CC that I could have done it and had it out of the way. Instead I have just been putting extra money here and there in an evelope so I can have it before we leave since we do not want to charge our vacation we want to do it "credit card free".

I love auto tipping I am drunk the whole cruise and was always over tipping the last night. My Q is we eat at the steakhouse 2 to 3 nigts per cruise I am anytime dinning next cruise where will those tips for those nights go since the $30 includes the tip for that meal ??

Hahaha...I just LOVE these tip threads. I am so glad so many of you tip so much (at least you claim you do) to offset those that don't. Do you get gold stars from the crusieline for that?? Good! People at restuarants in Mexico and the Caribbean work for much less than they do in the USA...do you tip them excessive amounts to ensure they get USA minimum wage? Do you bargain with Mexican/Caribbean vendors?? Don't you realize you make their standard of living much lower when you do? Why not shower them with money as well??? Do you insist on paying the list price for your cruise? Or do you pay the "going rate" and try to weasel a bottle of wine out of the travel agent? Do you smuggle on alcohol? Do you call the cruiseline demanding OBC when the rate goes down $20?? Sounds like you are all a bunch of cheapskates to me!

Bottom line is we have the right to CHOOSE whom and when we tip or not. We may feel cheap one day and not tip anyone or generous the next day and double the forced tip. Maybe we are cheap, maybe not. The cruiseline says it is voluntary. That makes being cheap or not irrelevant. Case closed.

Do you know what complimentary means? It means no payment is required. If you choose to give someone a hundred bucks extra to do their job, more power to you. It does not mean that someone who does not is actually any of the derogatory names you people muster out.

Cruiseline employees are not dumb. Do you think they are going to tell you they live in a multi-story house with servants taking care of their every need while snacking on caviar every day? That would probably not result in many tips would it? No, they will tell you they live in multi-family tents eating grass for supper. They know they can sucker at least some fools into giving them money. Sounds like the American way to me.

Here is the part on gratuities...

"At your discretion, you may adjust the gratuities at any time while onboard. Gratuities will be deemed undisputed unless a request to modify is received prior to disembarking the ship. For beverage purchases, fifteen percent of the bill is automatically added to the Sail & Sign charge. Room Service staff may be tipped as service is rendered. Tipping your Maître d’ is at your discretion, based upon the service you receive."

Do you know what "at your descretion" means? It means you can do what you want. Room service staff MAY be tipped; the only tip forced upon you is for drinks. They certainly can and do imply that tips may be given, but that means nothing. As long as they let you sail whether you give or not, all are entitled to the same services and benefits, whether they give or not. Case again, closed. (NCL's "service charge" clearly disclosed up front is a step toward requiring tips.)

So all you people on here that play God every time a tip question comes up, just keep it up. It makes you no more or less special, priviledged, or human than anyone else on these boards. All it does is show how opinionated and ignorant you are, in that you can't answer a simple question without glorifying yourselves and licking your own chops.

I look forward to your constructive (hahaha) comments. Maybe I will check this thread in a year or two to see them when I need a laugh!

Great Post!

Archived