Can I remove the mandatory on board gratuity charge?

SISer

Plan on booking open seating and would like to tip my cabin steward and teh staff who serve me directly. What is Carnivals policy regarding onboard gratuities? Can I/should I have these removed from my onboard account?

Thanks.

Plan on booking open seating and would like to tip my cabin steward and teh staff who serve me directly. What is Carnivals policy regarding onboard gratuities? Can I/should I have these removed from my onboard account?

Thanks.

You gonna tip all the bus people and servers in the buffet? They ALL get a piece and do serve you

Heeeeeeere we go again.

1) If it was "mandatory" then you wouldn't be able to remove it.

2) That tip money (which is way way way reasonable) goes to many service staff members that you might not see directly - such as buffett staff

Thanks.

According to the site they say the following. It's under FAQ- gratuities

"At your discretion, you may adjust the gratuities at any time while onboard. "

To me, it would seem like a lot more work to search out and tip each and every waiter, bus boy, assistant cabin steward, etc. It is much easier to leave the auto tips so that everyone that deserves a tip, gets a tip...and you can always add a little extra for your waiters and cabin stewards if they did a great job. That's what we always do.

Ashley :)

Can your emove them? Yes.

Should you? Tipping is up to you alone. It's nobody else's business. Do keep in mind, though, that the auto tips cover a lot of people who work hard for you that you never really see and that servers, stewards, etc are required to turn in any cash tips they receive anyway.

Thanks.

Sure you can. Just make sure you bring plenty of small bills so you can tip each person after every meal.

You are making it a lot harder than it has to be but that's your choice.:)

Bill

Anyone want to hand the OP a can opener for the can of worms this thread will inevitably become?

OP, do a you please. Just remember there are staff who you probably won't even notice who are serving you as well as the guy who's at your dinner table.

Sure you *can*

Carnival says you *can*

But like others have said.

The 'auto tips' are divided up among people you dont see as well.

*unless its an issue of not having enough money to leave them on (:rolleyes:)

Just leave them and tip extra to those who have made your experience a little better if you choose.

Thanks.

Can you: YES

Should you: NO

Unless you're planning on walking around with cash in hand to tip every single person that serves you, somebody is going to get the short end of the stick if you remove your automatic tips.

If you're concerned about your waiters/cabin stewards being tipped, DON'T remove the automatic tips.

Just tip ON TOP of the automatic tips. That's what most people who wish to reward outstanding service do.

Usually people that "wish to remove the tips" with the excuse of "wanting to tip directly", end up undertipping. Not only is it wrong, it's also cheap and trashy

Like many have said before...... so many people work to make sure your trip is great. There are dozens and dozens of people you will never see, laundry staff, line cooks, housekeeping staff, people moving liquor inventory to all the bars, well the list goes on and on. Carnival makes sure everyone receives a gratuity and that makes sure all employees continue to work as hard as they can to make every passenger have a great time.

IMO....Gratuities on a cruise is sort of like offer/tithe at church. There is customary guidelines and suggestions, but ultimately the decision is yours- and between You and the Big Man. :)

being veterans of over 30 cruises we certainly appreciate the hard work that goes on behind the scenes and always tip with this in mind. that being said, we also enjoy the pleasure of handing a gratuity envelope directly to a favoured (spelt correctly for all of you bloggers!) staffer that we have had more than ancillary contact with. my solution: remove one set of tips from the two of us on board and disseminate this money directly. the other automatic gratuity remains on to take care of all the people who affect our vacation. we traditionally end up tipping over the suggested but this is our choice and as far as i am concerned, this practice benefits and placates everyone. any thoughts?

To me, it would seem like a lot more work to search out and tip each and every waiter, bus boy, assistant cabin steward, etc. It is much easier to leave the auto tips so that everyone that deserves a tip, gets a tip...and you can always add a little extra for your waiters and cabin stewards if they did a great job. That's what we always do.

There is always someone who is just plain cheap and uses this as a excuse to remove tips.

My feeling is if they wanted to tip extra, they would leave tips alone, and just hand over the extra money to anyone who deserves it in person ... sorry this is how I feel

There is always someone who is just plain cheap and uses this as a excuse to remove tips.

My feeling is if they wanted to tip extra, they would leave tips alone, and just hand over the extra money to anyone who deserves it in person ... sorry this is how I feel

I agree with you 100%. And, if you think about it, if you were to go out to eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks at a land based restaurant - how much would you end up tipping in one day. I'm sure it would be more than $10!! To me, only $10/day to be split between all those that serve you is not enough. I always gladly tip over that amount. And I am by no means rich!! I am a "struggling single mom" - so if I can afford to tip over the $10, then I think the majority of people are "able" to do so, too (just maybe not "willing").

JMHO

I agree with you, also! Usually just an excuse not to tip or to tip less.

Archived