River Conditions

graciallen

These river cruises are beginning to look really appealing to me.

But so much research to be done ie: which line, which route.

For those who have done these types of cruises, what happens if the river is too full or too low?

Certainly there must be specific times of year that areas have these conditions normally? I know the weather has been erratic this year so nothing has been normal, but what happens when these conditions occur to a cruise already in progress?

Have they ever cancelled a cruise?

Is there a river that has more too see as you are floating by?One better than an other?

What about laundry service onboard?

Let me respond to one of your questions - Which line? Make sure you read all tours to see what is included and what are offered as options. Many lines/tour companys offer a lower price but have a lot of options offered at extra cost and some include all. Add them up and you might find out that there is little difference or might be higher in the end. I have my preferences but will not get into that. Please check out all companys before you pick on. Also you will find that this messge board is a wealth of information from many great travelers. Ask away and info will flow out to you. Willard

"Have they ever cancelled a cruise?" - yes

Is there a river that has more too see as you are floating by? - i find them all very interesting and different - what are you interested in seeing? Some focus on large cities while others have more small towns and villages.

Laundry service onboard? - many do but check the website or brochure

You will have a more enjoyable time if you do the reseach now - IMHO

good luck!

Great tips.

So if a river is impassable and they use hotels, am I right to assume that the hotel feeds you too?

So many lines, it's difficult to decide. The threads here have been a major help tho.

If the river is completely impassable they will use hotels. However, if the boat is docked where you are (or close to it) then often you will stay in the boat but be bussed to the cities on the itinerary (or an alternate location).

Last year I went on the Danube with Viking. The river was impassable from about 2 hours outside of Budapest, we were bussed to the boat and then back into the city. Then the boat could go up river a bit further to Bratislava but had to stop again. From there they bussed us a few more days until we were taken to a different boat further upstream where the actual cruise commenced.

All in all it was fine and I was prepared for it so our small group still had a great time!

But to answer your question, yes the cruise line will feed you as per what you have paid for (B,L,D, etc.)

Steve

Graciallen - usually the hotels will provide the meals should you need to be bussed. There have been a number of complaints concerning the quality of hotel served food compared to what would be available on your ship. On our Elbe cruise we had two days in Berlin at the Hilton before the cruise and had to spend an additional night there due to low water levels. The ship could not sail to Magdeburg to pick us up. We had dinner at the Hilton in a private room with free drinks along with an additional seafood buffet serving a variety of items as well as a large dessert table. The hotel staff did a great job.

Nice touch with the free drinks and the seafood buffet. Sounds the made every attempt to compensate. Was that the Tauck line?

I don't know if the one you are referring to was Tauck or not; however, we difficulty with low water on a cruise we took from BUD to AMS on Tauck last Fall.

First, we had free happy hour drinks during the entire cruise!

Next, when we got to an impassable point, they asked us to pack and leave our bags in our room and we went off to do our days worth of sightseeing on the bus.

At the conclusion of our sightseeing, they then took us for a short (but very pleasant) ride to a northern point where we met up with their sister ship and our luggage was in our room. The boat was identical to the one we left other than some decorating differences.

The cruise then continued as planned.

The only disappointment was that, in order to do the above, we could not stop at the Melk Abbey (I guess this gives us reason to go back).

Frankly, we heard of some other cruise lines that cancelled their trips mid-way and I can't even imagine the hassle those passengers went through to go on or to go home!

I think the Tauck people were first class and did everything they could to make our trip pleasant under very difficult circumstances for them!

Hi,

We are about to go on a Tauck river boat cruise next Saturday. I questioned a rep at Tauck about what they would do if the river was too high and we had to switch to a land tour. I was told that since Tauck has been doing land tours in Europe for some time, they would be able to handle a switch to a land portion without any problems. Since I have been on 13 Tauck tours before this, I feel very comfortable going with them on a river cruise. I read about last year's river cruises with other lines mentioned on this board when the rivers were too high to navigate and they switched to bus tours and mediocre hotels. I know this won't happen with Tauck.

Sheila

It's confidence like yours that makes me lean toward the Tauck line. Yes, they are expensive,but may well be worth it in a pinch.

Sheila, please come back and post a review, every little detail :)

p.s I love your name :)

Hi Graciallen -sorry I did not get back to you sooner but to answer your question about the seafood buffet, it was Viking. I've taken tours with two different company's and they both satisfied my itinerary needs and it came down to a matter of cost. Your chances of having to be bussed, considering the number of company river tours is very small. If it's important to you to be with an organization that does a lot of bus tours, then Avalon river and Globus might bt one of the biggest. I could be wrong but I don't think it makes any difference except Tauck is deluxe and your hotel's and dinners s/b of equal valve if you go with them. If upscale is important then Tauck will suite your needs.

Have a great trip!

No my comfort needs are few, best bang for the buck usually is what motivates me.

I see some lines factor in the tours with the total price, but what are the tours like?? So much to weigh here.

I know one can't predict low or high levels, but I wonder if one river is historically drier than others? I'm sure seasonal variations are the norm? But mother earth has been pretty crazy lately with the weather.....

Keep the comments coming tho folks, all info is needed.

Archived