any tips for first timers?

cruisekid13

I'll give you two. Check out your table in the dining room when you get on board. If you don't like the location or size you can talk to the maitre d. the second tip is to read this board for hours on end. then you won't need any more tips!:D Seriously though if you do read this board often you won't be disappointed in the way things are done. Read away on this board and ask questions to your heart"s content!

Read your welcome aboard booklet that comes in your tickets. This will tell you everything you need to know to get by.

As an added value, read these boards. If you don't know what to ask, just scroll looking for topics of interest. You will pick up additional invaluable information (and some interesting other tidbits, if you're lucky).

I find that people go into cruising with different expectations and if you have a positive attitude going in, you will come out with a wonderful cruise. Just remember to treat everyone like you would like to be treated, show some patience, and all will be good. If you read the boards, most everyone has had something go wrong, or a bad experience, but they don't let it get them down, cause we are all still cruising, and loving it!!! Give yourself time, don't rush, and read the boards, read your cruise capers, and ask questions. Have a great cruise, when and where are you headed?

Research, research and more research. Reading these forums is a good start. Then go to Google and type in the ship and ports and read some more. Also read the website of the cruiseline. Ask specific questions and you will usually get answers.

Mix and match your clothes so that you can create more than one outfit with the same clothing. That will also cut down on the number of shoes you need to pack leaving more room for souvenirs. :)

Just have to put in my two cents......

Yes, read the boards and ask questions....no question is "I have a stupid question". But always keep a positive attitude! There are some who aren't satisfied with anything. You will gain a wealth of knowledge and probably save some decent cash in doing so. Participate in the "roll call" boards. I still keep in touch with some that I have met. Some have become really good friends and we are going on vacation for our 5th time together.

Positive Attitude! Things can and do go wrong. Maybe your soup isn't hot enough or you didn't get the early tender....RELAX and go with the flow.

Be prepared to be addicted! We took our first cruise in 2001 on a little (I call it a ferry) to the Bahamas from Miami. We "parked" next to Huge ships from Carnival and RCCL. I told my husband that I was going to go home and check it out. HA! And check it out I did, again and again and again. Every time we say that we have to not do it for a while, we get the bug.(read "addict") and another one is booked. WE seriously need to get our kitchen remodeled.....but another cruise.....Hey, we are there!

Did I tell you to read the boards? Although I may not be as active as the prevous posters, I have this bookmarked and check almost every day. I have gotten 4 star hotels in Miami for $40.00, England for $110.00. I did an all day excursion in Barbados for $50.00, Ireland for $35.00. I took my family of 6 from London to Amsterdam on a train, ferry and another train for 25 Euros each among other things. I travel with a over the door shoe thingy, an alarm clock and duct tape.

That not all, I am sure you will get more suggestions from others.

Happy Cruisin'

Jean

A tip that is not mentioned often,order or pick up a Carnival brochure. That will answer a lot of your questions. I like to use that when talking to a TA/PVP when discussing rooms and dates.

Oh and dont blow the whistle during the muster drill! On every cruise you will hear clueless cruisers blowing thos filthy whistles.

Archived