Travel Insurance

stef1118

I purchased travel insurance last year for a cruise I had to cancel and they wouldn't cover anything. I booked the cruise with the knowledge that my son was doing well (cancer) but bought the insurance just in case. Well the chemo wasn't working and he was going to start with hospice. The insurance company didn't care about his condition, they ever requested his medical records. They said it was a pre-existing condition and that is not covered. I will never buy insurance again from that company. I can't think of the name right now but I have loads of paperwork filed away from this incident.

Agree with PP and know what you are buying and don't assume that someone in your son's position would be automatically covered, whether it would be covered under the pre-existing clause or not. Just because you buy the insurance right away for pre-existing coverage does not mean that a seriously ill person would be covered.

When in doubt, read the policy and ask questions during the free look period.

I have bought insurance and not bought insurance for my cruises... I had never thought about if I had a medical emergency. This cruise I am taking both by DD's and one of them has a brain shunt for hydrocephalus. The shunt can break, get plugged at any time and when it does, we cannot wait for the cruise to get over to get medical attention. I AM getting insurance for all of us for this cruise for sure. Since she has had no medical appointments or had any problems with her shunt in 4 years, so we should have no problems with the pre-existing condition.. But am going to call first before I purchase on line.

Remenber folks. Usually to get the pre-existing condition exclusion waiver, the travel insurance must be purchased within 14 days of bookiing your travel.

Any decent TA will remind you and most agencys note on their envoice that they strongly recommend the travel insurance.

I'll tell you I'm so GLAD I had travel insurance last year! I got laid off from my job and travel insurance covered me to cancel our cruise (I was out 1400 due to early saver rate we booked).....I always get travel insurance....It is NOT only for medical but it covers much much more!!!

I purchased travel insurance last year for a cruise I had to cancel and they wouldn't cover anything. I booked the cruise with the knowledge that my son was doing well (cancer) but bought the insurance just in case. Well the chemo wasn't working and he was going to start with hospice. The insurance company didn't care about his condition, they ever requested his medical records. They said it was a pre-existing condition and that is not covered. I will never buy insurance again from that company. I can't think of the name right now but I have loads of paperwork filed away from this incident.

This is an excellent reminder to folks that just "buying insurance" is not enough. We have to be informed about all the exclusions.

So sorry to hear about your son....

DH, 41, just had a stroke two weeks ago. He had no previous medical conditions, and is a runner, works out, nonsmoker. You just never know when the unexpected is going to happen. His Drs did just clear him to go on the cruise (with a wheelchair of course)

Glad to hear that your DH is making progress! I read your thread earlier about what had happened. My thoughts & prayers are with you and your family!

Lurkern. You make such a good point about disease and age. I had my first heart attack at age 36. I'm now seventy-one and feeling fit as a fiddle after heart bypass surgery twice. 1986 and 2007

Archived