Travel Insurance

stef1118

Hi everyone,

Do most of you purchase the extra travel insurance? I did, but thought I might ask around.

Stef:D

Always.. peace of mind is always a good thing.. in 9 cruises have never needed it.. but there could always be that 1 time;)

I've never bought cancellation coverage, but we always get an emergency medical policy from an outside source. I could probably handle missing the vacation :(, but 100's of 1,000's of dollars for a medical catastrophe in a foreign country is too great a risk :eek:. Also, many, many thread on these boards describe situations where persons with serious medical issues are ejected at a port to completely fend for themselves - that DOES NOT sound fun.

Happy Sails,

Annette

We stopped buying it years ago, except during the winter months (we live in the snow belt). Of course it's a personal choice but 2 things to consider. Does your present medical plan cover you out of the country? And be sure to read the fine print before you purchase insurance. You may be surprised at what's not covered and how little coverage you have in some areas.

I purchase it because once final payment passes and penalties kick in for cancellations, I am not in a position to just 'lose' all that money.

We have just over $3,000 invested in our upcoming cruise, most of which (at this point) is non-refundable. I can't afford to kiss $3,000 goodbye, so I spent $110 extra to insure I can get it back if needed.

I purchase it because once final payment passes and penalties kick in for cancellations, I am not in a position to just 'lose' all that money.

We have just over $3,000 invested in our upcoming cruise, most of which (at this point) is non-refundable. I can't afford to kiss $3,000 goodbye, so I spent $110 extra to insure I can get it back if needed.

agreed, our cruise is costing $4k at end of july. we purchased insurance thinking we wouldn't need it (actually got it in case his father, who is cruising with us, got sick), but DH, 41, just had a stroke two weeks ago. He had no previous medical conditions, and is a runner, works out, nonsmoker. You just never know when the unexpected is going to happen. His Drs did just clear him to go on the cruise (with a wheelchair of course), but it was comforting to know that we wouldn't lose our money in the event that they advised against going.

People break bones, get sick, have a death in the family, and obviously none of this is planned. I will never book a cruise without insurance after this experience.

I researched our medical coverage and it would cover (up to one month) out of country medical expenses but "out of the service area" which means a substantially reduced coverage and high deductibles.

That's even before the added benefit of trip cancellation and the other goodies that is typically covered. I always research prices at www.tripinsurancestore.com/ and select the least costly coverage I'm comfortable with.

I just booked insurance last week and for about $150 for the DW and I, I know we're covered in the event of whatever. My bar bill is more than that and the only benefit I get is a headache ;). You don't typically need a lot of coverage so that's how I control my cost since I don't believe I need $250,000 in coverage and select lower coverages to reduce my risk.

I have decided I don't want the financial exposure as others decide otherwise. I'm tight but I don't think it's worth doing without.

Hi everyone,

Do most of you purchase the extra travel insurance? I did, but thought I might ask around.

Stef:D

See below for some general info on selecting Travel Insurance. The 3rd party policies are generally less expensive, better coverage. If you're military eligible checkout TripInsured thru USAA. ken

The Carnival Berkely Policy provides low Medical coverage, marginal MedEvac coverage and no "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions". The Policy DOES offer Future Cruise CREDIT if your claim is denied as due to a Pre-Existing Condition and now includes cancellation coverage for Hurricane Warning and Job Layoff. If you cancel your Cruise before final Payment, the Carnival Policy premium is refundable. Carnival and Berkely both claim that the Policy also covers your independently purchased AirFare. The Carnival Policy is less expensive than the 3rd party policies if you're age is in the 70’s, as Age is not factored into Carnival Berkely’s premium as it is with 3rd Party Policies.

The 3rd Party Trip Insurance Policies such as CSA, Travel-Ex and Travel-Insured offer much higher coverages and are much less expensive if you're younger. They generally offer "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" (which can expedite the claims process) if you purchase w/in 14-21 days of your Cruise Deposit; CSA allows you to purchase up to Final Payment and retain the Waiver. Otherwise, you can purchase Carnival Berkely Insurance up to 14 days before sailaway, and you can purchase most other policies practically up to sailaway. You MUST be physically fit to travel the day you purchase.

Most Policies are “Secondary” meaning that you have to first file claims with your own Health and/or Homeowners Insurance and be reimbursed/rejected by them, then the 3rd party Policy will pay what your insurance doesn’t pay (up to the limits of the policy). Primary Policies pay everything (up to limits of the Policy) without requiring you to first file and coordinate benefits with your personal policies, which can help expedite the claims process.

Cancel for Any Reason” coverage is usually offered as an option, usually for additional 50% of the premium . It’s important to read the associated Policy as many policies do not pay 100% and many policies pay LESS the later you cancel. The Princess Berkely Policy offers 75% Cancel for Any Reason Future Cruise CREDIT.

You need to select a Policy at least somewhat based on your own situation/concerns (if traveling with kids, if prior medical conditions, if over age 70, if Military, if concerned about LayOff….:

TravelEx and TravelInsured insure kids free with insured adults.

USAA offers their members discounted (about 9%) Travel-Insured Policies with some expanded coverages.

TravelEX is PRIMARY and includes kids under 16 free and offers a Business/Military upgrade.

CSA Freestyle includes Cancellation for Layoff and for School Year Extension.

Patriot TRIP is PRIMARY coverage and includes Cancellation for Layoff, Cancelled Leave for Military, Fire & Police and Missed Cruise for Flight Delay.

TravelSafe includes Cancel for Hurricane Warning and Cancel for Any Reason (not always 100%).

You can compare Policies and Premiums for your specific age, destination, dates and cruise costs, at the Insurer's sites or at sites such as www.insuremytrip.com and www.buyamericaninsurance.com . Note that some Policies also have a $6 or $8 application Fee added-on.

If you're not into Research, checkout CSA Comfort and CSA Freestyle, and TravelInsured Trip Protector and AIG TravelGuard Premier Protect.

FIRST check your personal Health Plan for out-of-country coverage and your Homeowners and Credit Card for Trip Cancellation/Interruption & Baggage Loss/Delay coverage!!! (for example, World MasterCard includes Flight AD&D and Rental Car CDW, minimal Trip Cancellation/Delay and Baggage coverage, and Government Employee’s Blue Cross includes Out-of-Country Medical Coverage, via an out-of-country Provider Network. )

I always buy travel insurance when traveling out side the US from third party insurance companys, whether land or cruise. Medicare provides ZERO coverage outside the US. That means on the ship. Many group health plans provide no or very limited coverage outside the US.

If you've never purchased travel insurance checkout http://www.insuremytrip.com for various plans, coverage and costs.

It depends upon how far in advance the trip is. If it's within the month, I don't purchase, it it's further than that, I do....life happens, best to be prepared. thank goodness I've never had to use any of the insurance features, but good to know they're available, expecially when I have elderly parents.

For our upcoming cruise, mainly to cover us in the event we need to cancel. We are also fortunate enough that my husband's employer also provides extra travel insurance that will cover both of us when out of the country for medical expenses if the need arises for an evacuation, etc.

Each individual has to make that decision....

1. If you must cancel the cruise for any reason, can you afford to eat the cost of the cruise?

2. If the cruise is delayed a day or two due to weather, can you afford to eat the cost of the hotel and meals?

3. If your luggage is lost, can you afford to replace the clothing?

4. MOST IMPORTANTLY...if you become ill, can you afford the extremely high cost of medical transportation ~ if your regular health insurance does not cover it? Even if the Coast Guard airlifts the ill person off the ship for free, can you afford to eat the cost of the rest of the family back home from the first port? While health insurance may cover the ill person's transportation, they will not cover the spouse who would want to get home as quickly as possible.....

Just things that people should think about when deciding to "self insure" (not buying insurance)

We stopped buying it years ago, except during the winter months (we live in the snow belt). Of course it's a personal choice but 2 things to consider. Does your present medical plan cover you out of the country? And be sure to read the fine print before you purchase insurance. You may be surprised at what's not covered and how little coverage you have in some areas.

I purchased travel insurance last year for a cruise I had to cancel and they wouldn't cover anything. I booked the cruise with the knowledge that my son was doing well (cancer) but bought the insurance just in case. Well the chemo wasn't working and he was going to start with hospice. The insurance company didn't care about his condition, they ever requested his medical records. They said it was a pre-existing condition and that is not covered. I will never buy insurance again from that company. I can't think of the name right now but I have loads of paperwork filed away from this incident.

I purchased travel insurance last year for a cruise I had to cancel and they wouldn't cover anything. I booked the cruise with the knowledge that my son was doing well (cancer) but bought the insurance just in case. Well the chemo wasn't working and he was going to start with hospice. The insurance company didn't care about his condition, they ever requested his medical records. They said it was a pre-existing condition and that is not covered. I will never buy insurance again from that company. I can't think of the name right now but I have loads of paperwork filed away from this incident.

The main reason we purchase insurance is because a family member has pre existing medical issues.......you bought the wrong policy.......

So sorry about your son........

We always buy it for everyone in our group. (This last time I bought for 7 people--6 family member and a GF)

I have great insurance that does cover out of the country. I, however, have no desire to be treated anywhere but in the USA. I want med evac insurance because a med evac can be very costly!

I have always purchased from www.insuremytrip.com

and I always read the policy carefully. Never had to use it yet, but oh so worth it in confidence and assurance.

Archived