Island Princess

karenvit

Well, it is going to depend on which deck (there is more than one room with number 709) and how sensitive you measure vibrations. Nearly every room on the ship will feel some sort of vibration or motion at one time or another. Was there a specific post or report that has you worried? Thruster vibration is often reported, but is a very short-term activity lasting only a minute or two.

D709 will most likely feel thrusters when docking and may feel more jiggle when underway. That's more of a personal comfort level decision.

C405 is midship and has a larger balcony but is a different cabin category altogether.

Where is the cruise going, and do you anticipate being on the balcony much of the time? Relaxing in your room? Out and about on the ship?

D709 will most likely feel thrusters when docking and may feel more jiggle when underway. That's more of a personal comfort level decision.

C405 is midship and has a larger balcony but is a different cabin category altogether.

Where is the cruise going, and do you anticipate being on the balcony much of the time? Relaxing in your room? Out and about on the ship?

The cruise is going to Alaska.

Karen

In that case, here is what I would do, and why. Your desires and mileage may vary.

I would go for the minisuite, which has more cabin space, including a sofa, but still has a large enough balcony to enjoy the views from both the sitting area and the covered balcony. Weather in Alaska can be sunny or rainy, and you probably will not spend as much time on the balcony when it is cold or wet.

The jiggle does not bother me, in fact, I sleep like a baby with it. There will probably be less jiggle when you are in the Inside Passage, more when exposed to the open sea. (The jiggle is from the screws turning, and is related to the speed of the ship more than the sea conditions - but you don't go fast in the Inside Passage.) On a one-way to/from Alaska, that is really only for one day.

As said before, the thrusters are not an issue for me except if it happens to be docking at 5 am. That usually only happens on the debarkation day, though, and we have to arise early anyway.

Archived