Beach, Bar, & Snorkeling.

Hi, everyone, I have been reading up on the beaches in St. Thomas and I found lots of good information, but didn't see a particular answer, so I thought I'd just ask it outright.

When my husband and I go to the beach he doesn't really like salt water very much so he typically likes to sit in the shade at a beach bar or restaurant and enjoy beverages while I swim and snorkel. He also is not a big fan of crowds.

So in St. Thomas, what beach and beach bar/restuarant would you recommend?

What would estimate as the taxi fare. Are there restrooms? Is there any charge for restrooms? (Last time I was in St. Thomas, 31 years ago, there was.)

Cost of snorkel gear rental? Price of drinks, beer?

Any other prices would be great. We are not so much worried about the cost, but we just need to make sure we bring enough cash to cover our expenses.

We'll be on the Celebrity Equinox, so I'm not sure if the dock location for Celebrity would figure into the mix.

Sounds like Sapphire Beach would fit the bill for both of you. We've been to both Coki and Sapphire and the bar area was much nicer at Sapphire. They even had a band there that started playing as we were leaving. The snorkeling was better at Coki though. I can't remember how much cab fare was - if you do a search for Sapphire I'm sure you'll find the answers you need.

Cowpet has not very good snorkeling, a bar, lots of boats in the bay. Look at Secret Harbour, use the "search function" and you will get some hits some with pictures. Much better beach and snorkeling, a beach bar on the patio and restaurant, rest rooms, beach toys for rent last I heard. About $10 pp taxi each way, hotel desk will call cab for you to return to ship or get phone # of cab that dropped you off. Enjoy:)

B.

The bar situation at Sapphire is not what it was, so you're better off at Secret Harbor as Betsy's Mom suggested.

Lindbergh Bay/Emerald Beach is another option. There are several bars along the beach, but the snorkeling is better at Secret Harbor.

Cowpet has not very good snorkeling' date=' a bar, lots of boats in the bay. Look at Secret Harbour, use the "search function" and you will get some hits some with pictures. Much better beach and snorkeling, a beach bar on the patio and restaurant, rest rooms, beach toys for rent last I heard. About $10 pp taxi each way, hotel desk will call cab for you to return to ship or get phone # of cab that dropped you off. Enjoy:)

B.[/quote']

We just returned from Secret Harbour, and I'd say it fits the OP's bill perfectly. :cool:

Forgive my ignorance, but are the beach bars just a little independant place that you can walk to from the street? Or are they affiliated with a larger resort requiring the purchase of a day pass or vouchers? Where do you get the taxi to let you out?

In St. Martin we found a cozy little place right on the boardwalk in Phillipsburg, In Manzanillo we traveled to Las Hadas and purchased vouchers in order to enter, and we also did the same thing in Acapulco. In Hawaii at Puipo we parked in a public beach parking spot, ate lunch at a fancy hotel (Sheraton?) and then walked down to the public beach with our snorkel gear.

Can you tell me how things work at Secret Harbor? Thanks.

Secret Harbour is a hotel/condo complex. The beach bar/restaurant is part of the complex on the beach. Google Secret Harbour Resort, St Thomas, VI and you will see what it is like. The taxi will let you off in front of the lobby. You can walk through the lobby to the beach. Ask about renting chairs at the hotel check in desk. All beaches in the VI are public, but usually only guests can use hotel facilities like chairs and umbrellas. The bar and restaurant are open to the public. Enjoy:)

B.

There were earlier reports I had read stating that the hotel no longer rents chairs to non-hotel guests, but we did not test that rumor. We rented 3 chairs from the dive shop adjacent to the hotel/bar.

Everything there is very close together (hotel/restaurant/dive shop). We had an al fresco lunch that was quite good.

Archived