Calgary Tips

Thoth, you must visit Banff and Lake Louise (my profile pic) the mountains are beautiful...that is if you have a car of course...

PS I noticed when I was not logged in and looking at the boards that the person I put on my "ignore" list showed up! I guess that makes perfect sense because how the heck would CC know who I was and who I wanted blocked! I was giving my home computer too much credit!

Thoth, you must visit Banff and Lake Louise (my profile pic) the mountains are beautiful...that is if you have a car of course...

I second that! Too bad you won't be here for Stampede Thoth....it's a crazy party! Hopefully it won't be snowing where you're here:D.

Thank you to Mexico5, Lorekauf, Lovendag.

We are going to see Banff for sure. A hotel room is booked for Canmore, near Banff. They make quit a few films there...Mystery Alaska, The Edge, Legends of the Fall, Open Range.

What a pretty place that area must be !

We are spending a couple of nights in Calgary's motel village, which I understand has a C-Train to the city center.( Banff Trail station perhaps ) We had discussed the zoo, so thanks for the recommendation. What about the fort and the tower? Worth seeing?

Thanks again !

Wayne

A hotel room is booked for Canmore, near Banff. They make quit a few films there...Mystery Alaska, The Edge, Legends of the Fall, Open Range.

Don't forget "Snow Dogs" :)

Rent a canoe from "One Blue Canoe" in Banff, and paddle into Vermilion Lakes. Spectacular! And VERY easy paddling in the lakes. Take a hike up the Sundance Canyon trail from the Cave and Basin historic site. If you want scenery-filled eating experiences, check out Silvertip Golf Course in Canmore, and the Rundle Lounge at the Fairmont Banff Springs.

What about the fort and the tower? Worth seeing?

Thanks again !

Wayne

The Calgary Tower is OK. Many buildings now dwarf it, so the views aren't quite as impressive as you'd think, but it is worth a visit.

I always really enjoy Fort Calgary, on the other hand. You might also consider a visit to Heritage Park - it's quite well done, and does an excellent job of recreating what a small Alberta town must have been like at the turn of the century. Be sure to stop at the candy shop there for some old-fashioned candy, or ride the working Canadian Pacific Steam train.

http://www.heritagepark.ca/

I grew up in Calgary, so it always holds a certain fondness for me!

Thank you to Mexico5, Lorekauf, Lovendag.

We are going to see Banff for sure. A hotel room is booked for Canmore, near Banff. They make quit a few films there...Mystery Alaska, The Edge, Legends of the Fall, Open Range.

What a pretty place that area must be !

We are spending a couple of nights in Calgary's motel village, which I understand has a C-Train to the city center.( Banff Trail station perhaps ) We had discussed the zoo, so thanks for the recommendation. What about the fort and the tower? Worth seeing?

Thanks again !

Wayne

I think our downtown is pretty impressive. There is a nice park in the downtown area called Prince's Island. If you decide to do the zoo you can take the C-train into downtown, then transfer to the Westwinds C-train. There is a stop right at the zoo. We have a pretty good Chinatown area (downtown) should you like to have some pretty decent food.

The Calgary Tower is OK. Many buildings now dwarf it, so the views aren't quite as impressive as you'd think, but it is worth a visit.

I always really enjoy Fort Calgary, on the other hand. You might also consider a visit to Heritage Park - it's quite well done, and does an excellent job of recreating what a small Alberta town must have been like at the turn of the century. Be sure to stop at the candy shop there for some old-fashioned candy, or ride the working Canadian Pacific Steam train.

http://www.heritagepark.ca/

I grew up in Calgary, so it always holds a certain fondness for me!

Thank you !

I'll have to keep Heritage Park in mind. Steam trains and historical villages are definitely my thing.

I think our downtown is pretty impressive. There is a nice park in the downtown area called Prince's Island. If you decide to do the zoo you can take the C-train into downtown, then transfer to the Westwinds C-train. There is a stop right at the zoo. We have a pretty good Chinatown area (downtown) should you like to have some pretty decent food.

thank you.

thank you.

I'm going to be visiting Calgary in a few months. Any suggestions on what to visit?

Which cruise ship, grin?

Seriously, Heritage Park is a great suggestion and well worth the time.

If you're going to be in Canmore, I'm assuming you'll have a car. When you go to Lake Louise, be sure and save enough time to take the side road to Moraine Lake. Lake Louise is spectacular, with the Lake and Mt.Victoria in the background, but in one way Moraine Lake is just as good, nestled under the Ten Peaks.

A question for the locals, how has global warming affected the Columbia Icefield and how far has the toe of the glacier receded?

Which cruise ship, grin?

Seriously, Heritage Park is a great suggestion and well worth the time.

If you're going to be in Canmore, I'm assuming you'll have a car. When you go to Lake Louise, be sure and save enough time to take the side road to Moraine Lake. Lake Louise is spectacular, with the Lake and Mt.Victoria in the background, but in one way Moraine Lake is just as good, nestled under the Ten Peaks.

A question for the locals, how has global warming affected the Columbia Icefield and how far has the toe of the glacier receded?

You know I attempted to find a cruise up that way. No such luck ...lol.

Moraine Lake...I'll have to consider that.

Enjoy your time here in our city:).

Oh I expect we will. My mother and father don't cruise but love car travel. Dad likes mountains and Mom is more interested in cities. Calgary and Banff should please both.

Actually, we are flying into Montana and seeing Glacier park then crossing over into Alberta, with a travel day here and there.

Hopefully we aren't biting off more than we can chew and also I hope the weather is good the second week of September. Any suggestions for cloths?

I hope the weather is good the second week of September. Any suggestions for cloths?

Summer and winter battle it out for supremacy in September, so the weather can often be very pleasant, sunny and warm, but it can also be cold and include the occasional snowfall. The operative phrase is "dress in layers" and be prepared for anything from sunny and warm to overcast and cold.

I agree that Heritage Park is a must-see--all of the buildings are historical treasures that have been painstakingly moved from their original locations all over Alberta to Heritage Park. In addition to the buildings, the park is populated by costumed "pioneers" who describe life as it was. The park has several distinct areas that are indicative of different time periods. The square outside the admission gates is from the 1930s. Inside the gates, there's a railway village circa 1910. Another section is set in the 1880s. And there's a First Nations village and Hudson's Bay fort from the 1860s. There's also "Gasoline Alley", which describes the changes that the automobile brought to the Prairies. If you like antique cars, this is the place.

Summer and winter battle it out for supremacy in September, so the weather can often be very pleasant, sunny and warm, but it can also be cold and include the occasional snowfall. The operative phrase is "dress in layers" and be prepared for anything from sunny and warm to overcast and cold.

I agree that Heritage Park is a must-see--all of the buildings are historical treasures that have been painstakingly moved from their original locations all over Alberta to Heritage Park. In addition to the buildings, the park is populated by costumed "pioneers" who describe life as it was. The park has several distinct areas that are indicative of different time periods. The square outside the admission gates is from the 1930s. Inside the gates, there's a railway village circa 1910. Another section is set in the 1880s. And there's a First Nations village and Hudson's Bay fort from the 1860s. There's also "Gasoline Alley", which describes the changes that the automobile brought to the Prairies. If you like antique cars, this is the place.

According to the park's web-site, the historic village inside the admissions gate is only open weekends during September. Is the park still worth a trip if this admissions gate is closed?

The Mercantile Square outside the admissions gate is open year round, as is Gasoline Alley (car museum), but I think both of those combined are only going to take an hour or maybe two. I would say your time is better spent in Canmore, Banff, Lake Louise, etc.

• 2 months later...

To our friends in the Calgary area, I loved your zoo. Without a doubt I witnessed more Rocky Mountain wildlife up close there than in the actual mountains. Grizzly bears, a mountain lion, bighorn sheep, and of course some moose. The C-Train was most convenient getting from the hotel to the zoo.

We also visited Head Smashed In Buffalo jump site near Fort Macleod.

Banff National Park is excellent and provides some of the most outstanding scenery in the world. Johnston Falls was a pleasant surprise, and both Moraine Lake and Lake Louise are as wonderful as advertised.

Archived