14 Nt. Southern Caribbean CC2 Cabin or Inside Cabin

Kitcito

Hello all DW and I are going on the Connie 12/4/10 and am currently booked in CC2 room 9038 with the large triangle baclcony. We both are 3 credits away from becoming Elite which this cruise and CC2 room will make us Elite. So our dilemma is our current price for our CC2 cabin is $3898 before taxes, if we take an inside cabin the price its $1998. If we take the Inside cabin we will have to take another cruise to get to Elite. The money really isn't the problem (I'm just always trying to get the best deal possible). The difference is $1900 between the two rooms!

We are starting to plan to go to Alaska next year and do a cruise tour so the savings will come in handy when we book the next cruise on the ship in Dec. I picked this week because we will be living back in Georgia by then and (currently in Gemrany) also typically this week goes on sale quite frequently but no drops in price as of yet.

So I'm on the fence as far as which room to take. Also this cruise has $300 OBC since we booked it using a future cruise credit. We could wait and see what prices come available closer to December and maybe a price drop will come or wait and then change to the inside cabin. Any help and suggestions would be greatful. I hope everyone understood my rambling.

:eek:Kitcito

We are on this cruise in a CC-1; and, those categories have been sold out for some time. We will only cruise with a large balcony; hence our advice vis-a-vis a switch is probably meaningless. However, you might wish to pursue the number of CC-2's still available since that may give you some idea as to the possibility of a price increase or decrease in the CC-2s.

We are on this cruise in a CC-1; and, those categories have been sold out for some time. We will only cruise with a large balcony; hence our advice vis-a-vis a switch is probably meaningless. However, you might wish to pursue the number of CC-2's still available since that may give you some idea as to the possibility of a price increase or decrease in the CC-2s.

Thanks for the advice, I already have a CC2 room and am hopeful CC2 or CC3 will drop in price. If not as long as I'm on the cruise I'm happy. I'm just trying to decide should I switch now or wait and switch later. I'm thinking that I have time on my side so I might just wait and see.

Kitcito:D

I just checked; and, 9043 ( large balcony) is available at your price. There is something I do not understand about the online listings, since our TA shows 7 CC-1s and CC-2s available. I often see the number of available cabins at seven; and, I have wondered for years if this is a true figure. Perhaps, someone with more expertise can expand on this matter. However, I verified that the CC-1's have been sold out for some time. If I were in your shoes, I would immediately change to the larger balcony for the same price.

If it were me I would do an Inside on Connie B2Bed with a7N on another X ship out of FtL or Miami. Ironically, I did 13N Connie late last Nov. to get my Elite status for Spring Transatlantic. All the ships should be back in Florida in early December. Great time to do Carribean, fewer crowds, great post Hurricane weather. On Connie 14N you will be in port and off ship most of time so balcony not as necessary, at least to me. I will probably be on this cruise too.

If it were me I would do an Inside on Connie B2Bed with a7N on another X ship out of FtL or Miami. Ironically, I did 13N Connie late last Nov. to get my Elite status for Spring Transatlantic. All the ships should be back in Florida in early December. Great time to do Carribean, fewer crowds, great post Hurricane weather. On Connie 14N you will be in port and off ship most of time so balcony not as necessary, at least to me. I will probably be on this cruise too.

That is a point worth considering, since there will be eight ports of call and five sea days. However, an inside never has and probably never will be an option for us.

For me the deciding factor is length of cruise. My wife and I can do a 5 night in an inside cabin but anything much longer must be in an ocean view or veranda. Need the added room to keep out sanity and to be able to tell what is like outside.

This is why I love Cruise Critic! You can discuss questions and problems and thanks to everyone they come and give you a different point of view that you may not have thought about.

JackDiamond - We already have the same large balcony just opposite side #9038 which is starboard side. We have had two balconies of our 6 cruises and it's really nice to be able to have a private view of the ocean. I love early mornings just taking in the peaceful and calm conditions. We were originally in room #9104 but I kept checking and the large triangle balconies came available so we jumped at the opportunity.

Zoncom - I have also thought about doing multiple B2B cruises to get a longer cruise as well as my Elite status. Here's the problem, my wife already thinks that 14 days is to long so it's out of the question doing another cruise right after this one. I have also tried to do short cruises to get the elite status but the problem is that you are limited to where you can go meaning that we would repeat the same itinerary and my wife doesn't want to repeat. Me as long as I'm on the ship it's ok with me. And third doing 2 or 3 short cruises together or a combination to get the elite status cost the same or more as the one we are already doing.

Biker1972 - As mentioned I have kind of been spoiled by the balcony. I could do the inside but for it being so long and 5 sea days it would be nice. So we will just have to see.

Kitcito:)

If you are taking 2 rooms I assume you are at least 4 people? USD500 per person is not so much difference between an inside and a balcony for a 14 day cruise.

I am not one of those who would only go on a balcony room, I will do ocean view and maybe inside if the difference is worth it, but I think in this case you might as well enjoy the balcony and get the extra credit, the difference is not that bad.

If you are taking 2 rooms I assume you are at least 4 people? USD500 per person is not so much difference between an inside and a balcony for a 14 day cruise.

I am not one of those who would only go on a balcony room, I will do ocean view and maybe inside if the difference is worth it, but I think in this case you might as well enjoy the balcony and get the extra credit, the difference is not that bad.

Dalitos,

We only have 1 room which is room #9038 which has the large triangle balcony.

Keep the balcony and get the elite status this time. yes you could cruise again to obtain Elite but the cost of flights and other incidentals really add up. Do the math and see if another cruise actually saves you in the end or not. DH and I did the math once and it did not. Pay the money now and keep the balcony for 5 sea days and then enjoy your new status!

Happy Sailing! :D

The Wife and I were on a 14 day for our 30th wedding anniversary. It was a royal Suite on the Zenith. 14 days is a long time with no balcony. Inside or not I love all cabins. W inside you can nap anytime and it's midnight inside the room. The question is: What perks does cc give you that you feel worth an extra $137/day. It took My wife and I, 8 years to get the timing right to have an aft cabin. Is it too expensive? Probably! Are we going to give it up? Not until you pry the reservation from my cold dead hands ☺

Ok, now for the decision!!! Part of my decision is based on my wife and I are living in Neubeckum Germany for my work and we will be moving back home sometime this year but not sure exactly when. So as mentioned before I think we will stay put for now and make a more informed decision when we know when we will be home.

I have found two B2B cruises on the Century for November that would fit the bill regarding attaining Elite status and keeping making the cost the same as the inside cabin. I really would like to stay on the cruise we have booked since we this is the longest cruise we have taken so we will have to just wait and see.

Once again thank your so much for helping me look at the situation from different angles. I will keep following this subject in case someone else has anyother ideas. Thanks again.

There is something I do not understand about the online listings, since our TA shows 7 CC-1s and CC-2s available. I often see the number of available cabins at seven; and, I have wondered for years if this is a true figure. Perhaps, someone with more expertise can expand on this matter. .

This sounds very much like an airline seat availability tool that I've used which will show "7" if there are seven or more seats available in a particular class and fare code. It never shows more than seven. There is a cruise website that will give you all the available cabins in a category for a given cruise as a deck plan picture, but it is a commercial site and I can't post the name of it here.

Phil

Dalitos,

We only have 1 room which is room #9038 which has the large triangle balcony.

Sorry, my mistake.

When you said in your original post "The difference is $1900 between the two rooms!" I read that as being the two rooms you booked, not the one you booked vs the one you are considering changing to…

Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll have a great cruise, I personally still feel that if Alaska is a one in a lifetime kind of thing, definitely go with the balcony.

Sorry, my mistake.

When you said in your original post "The difference is $1900 between the two rooms!" I read that as being the two rooms you booked, not the one you booked vs the one you are considering changing to…

Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll have a great cruise, I personally still feel that if Alaska is a one in a lifetime kind of thing, definitely go with the balcony.

As far as Alaska goes, I will be booking a balcony. I'm trying to do research on the cruis tour packages as I'm unfamiliar with them.

Kitcito

We've done balconies, ocean views, and insides.

My DH wakes up before sunrise and leaves the cabin.

He meets me for lunch.

I like to sleep in and take my time over coffee.

We've settled on inside cabins for awhile now; because, our use is for showers, changing and sleep. The rest of the cruise we are out of the room.

We have recently spent 25 nights on Equinox in an inside cabin with no problem except the lack of space for our clothes. Our solution was to pack clothes in plastic bags and stack them in the over the bed storage and in the basket under the bed designated for life jackets. We moved the jackets to the overhead space.

We have also spent 30 days enjoying an inside cabin.

But, I will not take an inside again on a Celebrity ship unless I find out they've turned the sound system down. All the over amplified music is not entertaining us. We cruise for ports and the sea. I must have a balcony on any future Celebrity cruises until they do something about the noise.

Elite status does not matter to us. We don't care about free drinks or free laundry. The opportunity to dine in Blu in the evening matters to us; because we do not like the MDR for dinner and the food in the Ocean View for dinner each night is not acceptable to us. We went to the Tuscan Grille for the view and relative quiet.

I hope I've touched some issues that help you decide.

For the money on a 14 day Celebrity ship, I'd go for Aqua Class cabin w/balcony for the quiet.

All of the above, IMHO.

-Maris

USVI-4-me,

Thanks you for your post. I also do not mind inside cabins but since I have had the balconies for 2 cruises I will admit it is nice to be able to have a small slice of heaven enjoying the ocean on your private balcony. Our favorite class of ship is the "S-Class". The inside cabins there are remarkable especially the shower and layout of the cabin. But like most people as long as I'm on the ship I really can't complain.

Kitcito:D

If you don't mind losing the Balcony/elite status for your next cruise take the inside now if the prices go down again you can always move again

Or stay in the balcony and if the prices go down, ask for the discounted difference. We did exactly that for our sold out Baltic cruise in August. Over time, we saved over $1000 by asking for, and receiving, the lower fare both times it went down.

For my wife and I, it's a balcony or nothing. To have our private view of the ocean and ports, and our private balcony to relax on, that is what cruising is about for us. For us we couldn't book an inside room and miss out on the wonderful views available all the time with a balcony room. Yes, I understand that people have different needs, but, heck, cruising is about being on the ocean and to lock ourselves in a windowless room for 8 to 10 hours a day, over and above the times we're participating in activities inside the ship in wondowless areas, is something we simply can't do. If I had my way, ships would have large picture windows everywhere so the ocean views would be available all the time. Balcony's rule!!!! :D

I'm inbtrigued by what Disney will be installing on their new ships - virtual portholes. Here's a write up about this:

"Also new to Disney Cruise Line are the virtual portholes, which will be located in all inside staterooms and provide guests with a real-time view of the outside of the ship that reflects the actual stateroom’s location — port or starboard. High-definition cameras placed on the exterior of the ship feed live video to an LCD flat-screen monitor cleverly disguised as a porthole.

"From time to time, Disney animated characters may make cameo appearances in the virtual porthole. Have a look at our photo gallery at OrlandoSentinel.com to see which characters might swim by your room."

Also, here's a short YouTube video of what it will look like, including one of the animated characters making a cameo appearance.

Looks like it may be a neat addition.

Archived