Official dinner on Celebrity Mercury

Cru1ser

Celebrity tends to be more of stickler on dress code then many lines. Our experience 3 years ago on the Merc was that all men had on at least a sports jacket to eat in the Manhattan dining room on the two formal nights.

I was on a Celebrity Mercury cruise to Alaska last year. Since the topic of formal nights always seems to cause a lot of discussion on the boards I paid special attention to what was and wasn't worn on formal nights.

This is what I saw on the lower level of the dining room. Maybe it was different on the upper level and only riff-raff like me & the hired help like the Captain were seated in the lower level. Most men were wearing suits or sports jackets and slacks & ties. There were a few men wearing white shirts and ties, probably more than were wearing Tuxedos. I also saw one man wearing slacks and a sports shirt (no tie) and he did not get turned away and was able to have dinner with everyone else in the dining room. Now if you were wearing a ratty old tee-shirt, holey jeans and flip flops you might feel out of place in the dining room on formal nights, or any night for that matter.

If you're comfortable wearing a dress shirt and tie (Oh - don't forget the pants that might cause a stir) I say go for it. You might be in the minority, but you certainly won't be alone and no-one will question your choice of clothing.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful time.

Archived