CONQUEST 6/27-7/4. IMHO Review

By this time, lines are beginning to get long. As mentioned, we are Platinum CCL members. I ask embarkation staff where to go for PLAT and was told that we still needed to stand in line up the ramp because PLAT only began at a certain point. To my disappointment, we get in the back of the line. No worries, we only wait for about 15 minutes and once reaching a certain point, we receive the VIP treatment we are accustomed to and proceed through security scanners with no problems. Honestly, I think this was just an embarkation supervisor showing her authority.

Did the woman have really long brown hair, kind of petite? There is a lady that has worked there at the port for the past several years that has ALWAYS been extremely rude, and we seem to run into her every time. When she is checking if you're supposed to be going into the VIP room she's especially nasty. Just my expierience, same lady every time, always rude.

Did the woman have really long brown hair, kind of petite? There is a lady that has worked there at the port for the past several years that has ALWAYS been extremely rude, and we seem to run into her every time. When she is checking if you're supposed to be going into the VIP room she's especially nasty. Just my expierience, same lady every time, always rude.

She was an older lady, I would venture to say early 60's. Her hair was brown and seems to me that she had it pinned up. I'll bet money it was her. When we first approached her, she was helping another guest. We were patiently waiting our turn, not trying to get her attention or anything like that. She immediately and abrubtly turned to us and said, "I'll be with you momentarily." I thought this to be even wierd considering we were not be pushy at all. We initially asked another employee what to do. He just looked at us and rolled his eyes and said, (pointing to her) you have to ask the supervisor. Hmmmmmm. Whatever. I'll try an avoid her next trip.

She was an older lady, I would venture to say early 60's. Her hair was brown and seems to me that she had it pinned up. I'll bet money it was her. When we first approached her, she was helping another guest. We were patiently waiting our turn, not trying to get her attention or anything like that. She immediately and abrubtly turned to us and said, "I'll be with you momentarily." I thought this to be even wierd considering we were not be pushy at all. We initially asked another employee what to do. He just looked at us and rolled his eyes and said, (pointing to her) you have to ask the supervisor. Hmmmmmm. Whatever. I'll try an avoid her next trip.

It does sound like the same lady, we try to avoid her but everytime she seems to find us. It's always like she's on some kind of power trip, lol. I just think to myself how she'll still be at the port when we set sail and try not to let her bother me.

It does sound like the same lady, we try to avoid her but everytime she seems to find us. It's always like she's on some kind of power trip, lol. I just think to myself how she'll still be at the port when we set sail and try not to let her bother me.

I was going to mention that: forgive her for she is stuck in port and you are sailing away like she wants to be. Still doesn't make it right, but smile and commiserate when possible. :)

Thanks for the review. We will be in Cozumel for the fist time in August and are thinking of NC. Would you mind sharing how much the cab ride is from the port to NC?

We were on the 6/13/10 sailing of the Freedom and also noticed the quite informal dining attire in the MDR for dinner (late seating). I can maybe overlook shorts, but when a grown man or teenager sits at a table in a baseball cap, I am truly appalled at the lack of manners!! I don't consider myself a fuddy duddy or Ms. Manners type of person, but for a gentleman to eat dinner in any type of hat is just crass and rude IMHO!

Exactly what I thought and will think. On this day - nothing or no one can bring me down!

Thanks for the review. We will be in Cozumel for the fist time in August and are thinking of NC. Would you mind sharing how much the cab ride is from the port to NC?

We were on the 6/13/10 sailing of the Freedom and also noticed the quite informal dining attire in the MDR for dinner (late seating). I can maybe overlook shorts, but when a grown man or teenager sits at a table in a baseball cap, I am truly appalled at the lack of manners!! I don't consider myself a fuddy duddy or Ms. Manners type of person, but for a gentleman to eat dinner in any type of hat is just crass and rude IMHO!

The cab rates are listed right at the port, so no need for negociations. 1-4 passengers is $15.00 total. I would look for a smaller cab if its less than 4 of you going. If you climb into one of the larger vans, they make you wait until they are full. Just ask around, there are just as many smaller cabs as big vans. NC is awesome! If you have any particular questions, please feel free to ask.

Exactly what I thought and will think. On this day - nothing or no one can bring me down!

Thanks for the review. We are sailing in the Conquest on the 25th. Not what I wanted for vacation this year, but must make the wife happy.

The last day began at 6:00 am with coffee delivered on time and with a smile. I am so glad that CCL changed this policy years ago. I remember when room service ended at 4:00 am the last morning. As a matter of fact, I believe it still does, except for the door hanger orders. Up and out the door around 8:00 to breakfast for the first time in MDR. One thing I have noticed lately is that customer service seems to fly right out the door on the last day. We were seated immediately in an area with very few tables filled.

It took quite some time for coffee to be served and our order taken. Our food was served hot and relatively quickly - long before DH finally got the cream for his coffee. Then, DH finished his eggs benedict before I could even get the syrup for my pancakes. Oh well, that was our last "feeding" and we did enjoy it.

On to the Cassat Room where Plat. meet to disembark. Well this room is a well hidden secret. We could not find it. We asked a staff member in the hallway where it was as we were assigned to meet there. She told us just to sit in the theatre and that would be just as good. Well, I disagreed. This really upset me. While I was trying to explain that we were to meet in this room, another PLat. member asked the same question and she directed this lady to the room without hesitation. Hmmmmm? Makes one wonder. Anyway, we found the secret room. BTW, it's a small room that is right off of the Renoir Dining Room and looks to be used for special small parties for dinner.

Many times on other vessels, although we have been assigned to meet in a designated area, we have been forgotten about. We wondered if the same would happen this time; but it did not. We were off the ship by 8:45 or so. Out to luggage with a porter, through customs in car and on I45 by 9:45. Easy breezy! Too bad embarkation isn't that quick!

This seems to have turned out more like the "story" of our cruise instead of a "review" so I will summarize with the highlights and pros and cons.

HIGHLIGHTS

Beautiful weather despite the Tropical Storm

Winning more than enough at the blackjack table to cover our $800.00 S&S tab

Nachi Cocum

Dreamer's Catamaran Sail and Snorkel

70's/80's theme nights in the Disco

Nightcaps on the balcony

PROS

Galveston Park N Cruise

Anytime dining for 2 is perfect and easy

Hot Dog Bar

Mongolian Grill

CONS

Conquest needs lots of maintenance (hot tub broken, window broken, couches broken,etc.)

Lido food staff slow; but bar staff overbearing

Entertainment lacking

Changes in wardrobe in dining room - taking a little time for me to get used to

Embarkation Supervisor

Valet Services

This review may not sound as positive as it could be and we have taken cruises that were much better and much worse than this one. Bottom line is this, although we were a little disappointed with a few minor things - we love cruising and will continue to cruise with Carnival. As always we enjoyed our vacation together and will look forward to our next voyage. Thanks for taking the time to listen to my thoughts.

Chick.

On a side note, we later learned that there had been a terrible jet skiing accident in MoBay where two CCL passengers were seriously injured. I could never find out any other information on this incident and was just curious if anyone had any information. I have witnessed some terribly tragedies while cruising and always hope and pray for these families and curious what the final outcome was. If you know about this, please share.

Hello~ I was on the same cruise as you were and I am enjoying reading your review as well.

As for this freak accident, I’m not too sure on the details, but from what I heard, it was a family and a father/son were on the jet ski and they somehow flipped over and since they were going pretty fast, their land in the water was as if they landed on concrete. Not sure which one, but I heard one of them lost several teeth.

Thankfully I heard of this story AFTER our jet ski excursion to Sting Ray City. If not, I would have chickened out.

The cab rates are listed right at the port, so no need for negociations. 1-4 passengers is $15.00 total. I would look for a smaller cab if its less than 4 of you going. If you climb into one of the larger vans, they make you wait until they are full. Just ask around, there are just as many smaller cabs as big vans. NC is awesome! If you have any particular questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks. I take it it's $15 for the ride and not $15 per person?

Are there water toys at NC like at Paraidise Beach? Also, what kind of food is offered...I know it's all you can eat, but is it a buffet or ordering from a menu?

Lastly, is NC appropriate for teens? I have read that Bamboo Beach in Ochos Rios can get pretty wild with the open bar. Our kids won't be drinking, obviously, but really don't want to take them if it's a wild party. Now if DH and I were traveling alone, that would be fine!:)

Thanks again for the review!! I always learn something from CC!

There were 5 us of in one of those smaller cabs - 4 in the back seat :eek:

It was better than waiting for a van to fill, though ;)

Hi Crystal!

David and I missed seeing you guys before we disembarked.

We didn't get to give you a big hug, so I'm sending one your way right now, pass it on to Chuck for us also!:D

We really enjoyed meeting ya'll and hope to see ya again someday.

Love Ya,

~Pam

Thanks. I take it it's $15 for the ride and not $15 per person?

Are there water toys at NC like at Paraidise Beach? Also, what kind of food is offered...I know it's all you can eat, but is it a buffet or ordering from a menu?

Lastly, is NC appropriate for teens? I have read that Bamboo Beach in Ochos Rios can get pretty wild with the open bar. Our kids won't be drinking, obviously, but really don't want to take them if it's a wild party. Now if DH and I were traveling alone, that would be fine!:)

Thanks again for the review!! I always learn something from CC!

Hi there. NC is definitely appropriate for teens. No shenanigans going on..........as a matter of fact, it's a little more quiet. Teens might get a little bored. There are no water toys; but they do offer for an additional price parasailing, snorkeling, etc. Check them out at Island Marketing. This is the only way you can book in advance. If you are looking for more water activities - you might try Mr. Sanchos. It's right down the beach from NC - you can actually see it from NC. They do have water toys and even tho it's much "louder" than NC, I still don't thing it would be too wild for teens. NC offers Mexican food and you order from a menu - EVERYTHING IS GOOD and fresh, I might add. The guacamole is to die for! Even tho NC is AI and open bar - I have seen them monitor youth drinking. If a parent gets a drink for kids, they actually ask about it. I don't think they want to get the reputation of being the crazy place, not only that, kids are cheaper and of course they have not payed the same price as adults for "open bar". Check out both sites, I would give you a link; but it has been my experience that the links will not post here. As mentioned above - google both Mr. Sanchos and Island Marketing Cozumel to find the websites. Lots of pix on those sites and rates etc. I have booked with Island Marketing many times and they are very reputable.

Have fun!

Hi Crystal!

David and I missed seeing you guys before we disembarked.

We didn't get to give you a big hug, so I'm sending one your way right now, pass it on to Chuck for us also!:D

We really enjoyed meeting ya'll and hope to see ya again someday.

Love Ya,

~Pam

Awww, Pam. I was bummed too. We looked for y'all, all the last evening and the last morning. We really enjoyed meeting the both of you as well. David is such a layed back kiddo and you would never know he was only 19 - very mannered young man. I know you are proud. Hugs right back you way and maybe someday we'll cruise again together!

Love ya. C&C.

Here is the link for Nachi

http://www.cozumelcruiseexcursions.com/CozumelBeachBreak.htm

I agree with the OP, teens might be a bit bored unless they just want to lay out by the pool or on the beach.

I don't think I've ever seen more than a couple of kids in all the years that I've been going there.

The meal ordered from a menu to actually not all you can eat, but a 3 course meal. The portions are ample though and I agree that the guacamole is to die for, as is the tortilla soup, but watch out for that salsa, it can be really spicy.

Here is the link for Nachi

http://www.cozumelcruiseexcursions.com/CozumelBeachBreak.htm

I agree with the OP, teens might be a bit bored unless they just want to lay out by the pool or on the beach.

I don't think I've ever seen more than a couple of kids in all the years that I've been going there.

The meal ordered from a menu to actually not all you can eat, but a 3 course meal. The portions are ample though and I agree that the guacamole is to die for, as is the tortilla soup, but watch out for that salsa, it can be really spicy.

Hi there. NC is definitely appropriate for teens. No shenanigans going on..........as a matter of fact, it's a little more quiet. Teens might get a little bored. There are no water toys; but they do offer for an additional price parasailing, snorkeling, etc. Check them out at Island Marketing. This is the only way you can book in advance. If you are looking for more water activities - you might try Mr. Sanchos. It's right down the beach from NC - you can actually see it from NC. They do have water toys and even tho it's much "louder" than NC, I still don't thing it would be too wild for teens. NC offers Mexican food and you order from a menu - EVERYTHING IS GOOD and fresh, I might add. The guacamole is to die for! Even tho NC is AI and open bar - I have seen them monitor youth drinking. If a parent gets a drink for kids, they actually ask about it. I don't think they want to get the reputation of being the crazy place, not only that, kids are cheaper and of course they have not payed the same price as adults for "open bar". Check out both sites, I would give you a link; but it has been my experience that the links will not post here. As mentioned above - google both Mr. Sanchos and Island Marketing Cozumel to find the websites. Lots of pix on those sites and rates etc. I have booked with Island Marketing many times and they are very reputable.

Have fun!

Thanks so much for the information. We're still deciding between doing an AI, such as NC or Mr Sanchos, or just going to Paradise Beach with the kids. DH and I will be in Cozumel on our own in Nov., so will definitely try NC then!!

Loved the review!

Thanks for the thorough review!

We were just on Conquest in early May with our family. 13 people in all.

Interesting about the food. That was the one area I gave the ship high marks on. We never had a cold or bad meal.

Although I am a country music fan, I found the music played at the ear shattering decibel on pool deck really awful. The "Carnival radio network" (what a joke), played the the same 12 songs the entire cruise. It was really pathetic. You could predict which song would come next every day and evening. C'mon, this is the age of the i-pod! No excuse for that. The one time they let the caribbean band play on the caribbean cruise, it was for 30 minutes, and it was continually interrupted by announcements.

Tables were not cleaned in the buffet area, on the pool deck nor inside.

That was really annoying when you were searching for a table to eat.

if I could describe the staff on Conquest other than the wait staff which was wonderful, and our room attendant who was outstanding (although very unobtrusive which I don't mind), it would be tired and uninterested. There were a few bartenders that were really fun people as well.

We still had a wonderful time, but the Country music that never ended, wore thin by the 3rd day. I don't think even Texans would have minded a little more variety. The night of the pool party, was really fun and everyone was having a blast, then they stopped the party music and the same country band who played all week everywhere you went, came out, and the place cleared out real quick! It was over. And I know 99% of the guests are from Texas, so there you go.

The water slide is so old you can't even slide down it. That was a real disappointment for us, as this was our first Carnival cruise, and we all looked forward to the famous waterslide.

We are giving carnival another chance though, there were some things I really enjoyed.

We are going to book the Splendor out of Long Beach for a 7 night Mexican Riviera cruise May 8 2011. Newer ship, and easy for us to do since we are from CA. i really want to support them because everyone is leaving Ca now, so I hope they stay around!

Thanks for the thorough review!

We were just on Conquest in early May with our family. 13 people in all.

Interesting about the food. That was the one area I gave the ship high marks on. We never had a cold or bad meal.

Although I am a country music fan, I found the music played at the ear shattering decibel on pool deck really awful. The "Carnival radio network" (what a joke), played the the same 12 songs the entire cruise. It was really pathetic. You could predict which song would come next every day and evening. C'mon, this is the age of the i-pod! No excuse for that. The one time they let the caribbean band play on the caribbean cruise, it was for 30 minutes, and it was continually interrupted by announcements.

Tables were not cleaned in the buffet area, on the pool deck nor inside.

That was really annoying when you were searching for a table to eat.

if I could describe the staff on Conquest other than the wait staff which was wonderful, and our room attendant who was outstanding (although very unobtrusive which I don't mind), it would be tired and uninterested. There were a few bartenders that were really fun people as well.

We still had a wonderful time, but the Country music that never ended, wore thin by the 3rd day. I don't think even Texans would have minded a little more variety. The night of the pool party, was really fun and everyone was having a blast, then they stopped the party music and the same country band who played all week everywhere you went, came out, and the place cleared out real quick! It was over. And I know 99% of the guests are from Texas, so there you go.

The water slide is so old you can't even slide down it. That was a real disappointment for us, as this was our first Carnival cruise, and we all looked forward to the famous waterslide.

We are giving carnival another chance though, there were some things I really enjoyed.

We are going to book the Splendor out of Long Beach for a 7 night Mexican Riviera cruise May 8 2011. Newer ship, and easy for us to do since we are from CA. i really want to support them because everyone is leaving Ca now, so I hope they stay around!

I am really sorry that your first CCL cruise was on the Conquest because it is definitely not up to par with the rest of the fleet. It is time for her to go into dry dock and get a refurb.

I have been on older ships with and without the refurb that were not in such awful condition and then the ones after dry dock are like brand spankin' new. Glad you are giving them another chance. Although I have not been on the Splendor, from what I understand, she is awesome and has by far the best CD Carnival has to offer. Have fun.

Archived