ALASKA - Port or Starboard????

racie*T

:confused: Hi! I'm going to be cruising Alaska on Carnival Spirit 9/13/11. The ship leaves Seattle, goes to Juneau, then Skagway, cruises Glacier Bay, and stops in Ketchikan before ending in Vancouver. Which side of the ship will offer the best views? Thank you soooo much! ;)

This is a bit of an unusual itinerary...and as much as I generally prefer starboard...I think on this one I would take a port side cabin....if the weather is good you should have some lovely sunrises over the mountains and water.:)

It makes little difference, BUT IF you ONLY want your Glacier Bay viewing from your outside cabin, then you are best with a port side cabin. Port side is the first side to view the glaciers and the commentary is on the way in. BUT, staying in a cabin is giving you only a fraction of the overall potential viewing. I want to see it all. :) So I move with the ship.

I think it matters very little. The park ranger/naturalist speaks on the way in, about things on the left. But the commentary isn't anything to crow about. We got a map, and could spot things easily by ourselves. If I were you, I'd probably find a spot on deck going in, and retire to my cabin shortly after getting to Margerie Glacier. The Capt will turn the ship, and you'll have great photo ops from your balcony. Order lunch in your room and eat on the balcony if it's a nice day.

Here is picture of a sunrise last September taken in the Inside Passage from a port side cabin as we were southbound.

Great picture! What time did you have to get up to take it?

My recollection is that it was about 7:10 .... I kind of remember this as sadly it was about this time a lady jumped from the ship committing suicide. However she wasn't found to be missing until the next morning.

Archived