What Are YOUR Top 3 MUSTS on Veendam to Bermuda?

Sculptress wrote: …...I read on a past post that this whole sea glass collecting idea is just Bermuda's way of getting rid of trash. They cart out all their glass trash in a boat out to sea and dump it. After it washes to shore as sea glass, tourists collect it and bring it home with them, thus basically bringing home Bermuda's glass waste with them. …

Honestly Sculptress, do you actually believe that :confused: ?

I believe this is the thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1011977

you are referring to. The OP spoke with someone after his/her return from a cruise to Bermuda. This “someone” offers the above theory on the source of the sea glass. At the end of the post the OP writes: ...I don't want to believe this and would love to see everyone else's thoughts on it …..

The next poster (jolleyjones), a resident of Bermuda, offers an explanation on the source of the sea glass which, IMHO, is more plausible than what the “someone” offered. Would Occam's razor be applicable here?

Why would this old post be revisited when, to me, the supposition contained in it was outrageous and already disproved?

SBtS

We were on the 6/27th trip and in St. Georges we hired a cab. He took us to the fort where our teen girls collected glass (see my other post under "sea glass is trash"), then went to a pink sand beach to collect some of that and watch the parrot fish in the waves, a drive by the "rich" areas (not worth seeing, IMHO), and then on to the caves. A nice tour with a great guy. No claustrophobia in either...and Fantasy was nice 'cause there were only 6 of us (our party) on that tour, so it was slow and relaxed. We opted for both caves because we were there and it was HOT. If I was limited in time or energy (more than 80 stairs EACH), I'd skip Fantasy...but they were both nice. Took a second cab back to the ship. The first cab had us for about 2 hours and charged $60 (for 6 of us!). The second was less than $30 (on the meter).

Did you pick up a cab in town for your 2 hour tour? I'm trying to figure out if I should do this or book an actual tour in advance (not through the ship).

Thanks for your help!

I'd love to hit up the Crystal Caves, but I get the sense it might be a bit overwhelming for me since it's such a crowded/confined space.

I had the same concerns, actually... I suffer from anxiety disorder and the idea of going in the caves originally scared the bejuzzus out of me.

But the DH and kids really wanted to try it, and I`m so glad I didn`t miss it! It was NOT claustrophobic for me (although I had some backup Ativan in my pocket in case I flipped out...hehehee)

HTH!

My husband & I walked all over St. George...we went around the little town..then walked out to the glass beach...then afterward...kept walking (interesting cemetary on the left side of the road...then to the beach by St. C and then to Ft. Catherine then walked up the hill back to where we started.

We brought sports drinks with us and at one point it rained a little....

There is another glass beach close to the Royal Dockyard. BTW....

In Bermuda we also went to the Perfumery (we had been to the original site i 1981) Very interesting little place and of course their Passion Flower perfume had to come home with me again....

This year we are going to Jobsons for a beach visit/snorkel and then to Ft. Scauer...then to the glass beach by the dockyard to snorkel...

bernadette

Archived