Port Canaveral - Why drop off family if staying in Cocoa Beach

ostrrich

We are sailing out of Port Canaveral in August. We are arriving two days before and will be staying in Cocoa Beach the night before our cruise.

A number of posts stated that people are dropping thier family off at the pier/terminal then going to the rental agency to return thier car. Thus they ride the rental shuttle alone without any luggage.

As we will be in Cocoa Beach (Hampton), it seems like we will drive right past the rental agency (Avis) on the way to the pier.

So what is the advantage of dropping off the family? Is it just the ease of not lugging the luggage on the shuttle? Is it the ease of not lugging the luggage from the shuttle to the pier? do they move up in line while you return the car? does it really save a lot of time? Are the rental shuttles that crowed. I assume we will be on the shuttle at about 10:30-11am

BTW: I will be with a family of 5 with the youngest being 9

Thanks for your comments

Some people find it easier but we think it is unnecessary. Yes, you will drive right past the rental car agency. Some people comment about "lugging luggage" but that has not been our experience. We usually get to the rental agency around 10:30am. DH goes in to turn in keys and DS and I take care of the luggage. We have used Hertz and the shuttle driver told us to leave the bags behind the car and he moved the shuttle over to get them. He put them on the shuttle, my teen helped but he told him he didn't need to. At the pier, the shuttle driver passed them off to the porters so there really is no "lugging". We did have to wait for a shuttle once before a cruise because it was just leaving full but he said he would be back in 10 minutes, which he was.

It is really personal preference. We prefer to stay together as a family. Waiting outside in the heat for my DH to get back from returning the car is just a waste of time in my opinion. I would do what works for you.

We stayed at the Hampton one night before our cruise (2 weeks ago) and had an Avis rental. We, too, had planned to have DH drop us at the terminal and then have him return the rental and then catch the Avis shuttle back to meet us at the terminal. On our way to the Hampton, we realized that we'd drive right by Avis when heading to the terminal, so that is when we decided it might be better to all go and drop off the car together and then take the Avis shuttle to the pier. It was the right thing to do...we waited only about 10 minutes for the shuttle that morning...it was probably about 10am. At the terminal, they dropped us off quite near where the porters took our luggage. It could not have been easier.....so glad we did it this way. BTW...we are a family of 4 and had tons on baggage (7 pieces of checked luggage & carry ons!).

I dropped off 2 ppl and all of our luggage at the port first, then came back to return the car. I'm glad I did, only because there was a huge line of ppl and luggage waiting to go to the port. I was able to ride over with no problem since it was just me traveling and no bags.

It's your choice:)

Archived