Best Cooler

jleiwig

Wow, thanks for that info. We weren't really trying to break the rules, I thought I was following them - LOL.

So what do you think - carry in your drinks but make sure it's in a 12x12x12 cooler. Meaning, carry on 6 sodas in a cooler of the right size? I'd have a backpack on and then would be carrying the cooler.

Just cruised on the Ecstasy out of Galveston last month and they aren't kidding when they say 12x12x12. They had rulers out and told my friend that she would have to empty her contents into a plastic bag (they provided) and throw her colapsable cooler away because it was a half inch too big. Now get this, I on the other hand was allowed to walk through with my canvas cooler on wheels (24x14x14). An agent did ask me about it and I told her that it was a travel bag. She asked me to open it and saw my stash of wine and 'bottled water'. She warned me that I may be asked to throw it away when I get to the metal detector station. My cooler made it through (whew!). Although it depends on the agents you run into, they are getting more strict about this. I later ran into another cruiser who said that they made her throw a cooler exactly like mine away.

BTW...my friend did not throw her cooler away, she just emptied it and stashed it into her carry on bag. I'm heading out of Galveston on the Conquest in September and I'm not willing to risk losing my nice cooler so I plan on the following the rules this time (at least with the cooler policy). ;)

So with the 12"x12"x12" cooler dimensions, does anyone have a link to one that is sturdy, and will keep items cold yet remain within the dimensions?

I have found a lot of no longer made coolers that fall within the dimensions, but nothing current.

I'm surprised no one has made a "cruise cube" specifically for this requirement, but I guess it's not that old of a requirement from what I've read.

This is the one I take. This website doesn't sell them, but you can google the brand and find many retailers that carry it. I got mine thru kmart.com. It packs flat and easily slides into the outside zipper pocket of my suitcase.

http://www.californiainnovations.com/products/ci/Coolers/collapsible-cooler/

But they are...TSA security is where you will get stopped. Once you're through, no one else (Carnival employees) asks or even checks. But some of the security folks are more "lenient" than others. A cooler looking like a tote with other personal items included might make it through. But you do run the risk of having to carry everything on board in a trashbag if they don't. Better to bring a collaspable cooler or smaller cooler you can refill as needed than something that holds all of your allotted stash of soda plus ice.

TSA has nothing to do with cruise ship boardings, just airlines. From the TSA website:

" The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) was created in the wake of 9/11 to strengthen the security of the nation’s transportation systems while ensuring the freedom of movement for people and commerce. Within a year, TSA assumed responsibility for security at the nation’s airports and deployed a Federal workforce to meet Congressional deadlines for screening all commercial airline passengers and baggage."

So you thought the TSA did cruise ports? If that was the case, we'd never get onboard.

I take a five foot marine cooler check it in with the porters and tell them it's my luggage .. I have all my clothes in it to

Then on the last day I pack it full of all sorts of food

And take it home and live off it for 3weeks

We always book an interior room on deck 1 near the anchor. The way I look at it the real cost of the cruise is like 4dollars

uh oh. I'm worried now. We bought this at Target, holds quite a bit, we thought for some of the ports we could take food and drink off the ship in this bag --- but now I hear you guys talking about allowable dimensions?? We were going to use this bag as a carry-on - it's fully insulated.

I read on a post you aren't allowed to take food into a country unless it is like an original package of cookies, crackers. No sandwiches, meat, fruit, veggies. Don't know where the thread was.

You are correct...

Most islands/countries do not allow any fruits to be brought off the ship, or sandwiches, buffett food, etc....

Usually just sealed snacks, bottled drinks, etc...

Bill

OK, I'm confused. We have a roller cooler with a pull up handle. It's bigger than the dimensions. We thought we'd use it as our carry on bag when boarding the ship (will be in our checked luggage for the flight). Then just use it in the cabin as a cooler once onboard.

If there is only clothing etc. in it when we board the ship, can they reject it even though it's being used as a suitcase?

Terry

TSA has nothing to do with cruise ship boardings, just airlines. From the TSA website:

" The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) was created in the wake of 9/11 to strengthen the security of the nation’s transportation systems while ensuring the freedom of movement for people and commerce. Within a year, TSA assumed responsibility for security at the nation’s airports and deployed a Federal workforce to meet Congressional deadlines for screening all commercial airline passengers and baggage."

So you thought the TSA did cruise ports? If that was the case, we'd never get onboard.

Port Authority can be just as bad !

The cooler in your link is bigger than the allowable 12x12x12

Size: 12.56"L x 12.25"W x 11.75"H

Thats what it says :rolleyes:, but the actual cooler is under 12" in all directions.. I use a measuring tape all day in my profession and I brought mine with me to the store to make sure before I bought it.. Had no problem boarding with it in May..

Bulldog

Can someone answer my question about using the cooler as a carry on when we board the ship? If it has clothes in it, will they still confiscate it if it's bigger than the 12 x 12 x 12 size?

Thanks, Terry

Can someone answer my question about using the cooler as a carry on when we board the ship? If it has clothes in it, will they still confiscate it if it's bigger than the 12 x 12 x 12 size?

Thanks, Terry

Yes they will confiscate. It's still a cooler.

Hi;

My cooler is softsided and has a attachment with wheels and a handle. I was planning on packing cooler in my luggage or carry-on (not sure which is best). The cooler is around 14X16X10, in case that matters. And then putting two cases of soda and a case of water on wheeles with handle and wheeling them onboard, so I do not have to lug the heavy items in a carry-on. Is this okay?

April

Hi!

The reason I ask is from reading the frequntly asked questions page. It sounds like large coolers are not allowed on period even if packed in carryon or checked (ie if collapsable). Do they confiscate when you get on board if it is too big?

It could also read that large coolers are not allowed to be used as carry-on or checked luggage? I am confused.

I also planned to pack an on wheels collapsible cooler. I thought it would be a good idea for my power strip, wine, H20, soda and whatever else needed to be checked by authorties. Any room left would be for carry on clothing. Can any carnival employee answer this? It's 12x8x14. It als collapse small enough to fit in checked in luggage.

So with the 12"x12"x12" cooler dimensions, does anyone have a link to one that is sturdy, and will keep items cold yet remain within the dimensions?

I have found a lot of no longer made coolers that fall within the dimensions, but nothing current.

I'm surprised no one has made a "cruise cube" specifically for this requirement, but I guess it's not that old of a requirement from what I've read.

A "cube" wouldnt work well for those of us flying, yes, Im making the assumption that you are talking about a hardback cube, which we have out by our pool when we have parties. Ideal is a cooler that you can fold up.

I cruised two years out of Mobile and four years ago out of Fort Lauderdale. Both times - I successfully rolled a 50-can cooler on with a case of beer on the bottom and case of cokes/waters on top. (Just in case someone wanted to see what was inside.)

This is a sample of what I've used in the past:

http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Line-Rolling-Collapsible-Cooler/dp/B003UZ8478

It's the soft sided fabric cooler with retractable handles and four wheels.

I'm headed out of Tampa next week and I'm trying to figure out my plan of action to drink cheaply. THOUGHTS?

Archived