help with doing own thing in cadiz-malaga

ALICEAEJ

stopping of on these two places, in july on our cruise with p&o not sure what to go for -any help appreciated please. we are a party of 7(4adults and two teenagers.

thanks.

alice

Husband and I did the HOHO bus tour in Cadiz. Got off at the port - 2 minute walk to ship -and had a lunch and rest, then went out again. There is a plaza that had free wi-fi and we met several cruisers there... it was near the church. Lovely weather and easy to DIY. Sorry I can't remember any more details.

I agree the Cadiz HOHO bus which is available from outside the port - 20 Euros each is the price. You should also take a wander down some of the narrow streets full of quaint shops, cafes and tapas bars - these are close by the cruise port.

Last time in Cadiz we walked pretty much all over the central area, it was a worthwhile excursion, about 6-7 hours.

For us there was no need for the HO-Ho for we had pretty much been on all the places.

If walking is too much Ho-Ho is great.

It is a beautiful town.

Enjoy!!!

Had a wonderful day in Cadiz just roaming. You can do it by yourself. We are in our 50s and had no trouble. If you walk straight through the middle of town there are 2 cathedrals. We went up the bell tower of the "new" cathedral. Keeping on that street you will hit the other coast of the town. Going left and around the circle that is Cadiz is the beach. Going right you will find a large city park. Beautiful gardens, children's rides.

Continuning through the park along the water we saw many men fishing off the railing. As the town once again starts to head towards your dock there is a convent on the right.

We saw lots of nuns out for a walk around the coastline.

There will be more parks, fountains along the way until you are back to the dock.

My husband and I felt that Caidz was perhaps one of the best places we visited.

• 1 year later...

We will be Cadiz on a cruise in September and are trying to decide what to do. We are thinking about signing up for a private tour to Arcos de la Frontera (queen of the white villages) or should we just stay in Cadiz and see the town? Has anyone been to Arcos...is it worth the hour drive up and hour back? :confused: Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

We went from Cadiz to Puerto de Santa Maria by boat (it is like a Bus - the cost from Cadiz/to Cadiz was around 5 EUR. We liked very much this small and very spanish village on the other site of the Cadiz Bay.

There we went to a typical Bodega (can't remember which one) and tried all types of sweet wine. I hope I could help.

• 2 months later...

We also went to Santa Maria by Ferry. Visited Bodega Terry (Terri?) The tour group included just my two teen boys, myself and a family from France. After the tour we saw their beautiful horses and carriages. Fun, memorable way to spend our day.

I loved Malaga. They have horse drawn carriages along the waterfront, where the ships dock. Make sure you have a map and show the driver on the map where you want to do. Print one out on mapquest. The drivers don't speak English. They are very nice but they can't answer questions. Ask to get off at "Alacazaba" which is the old muslim Palace in the center of Malaga. It is lovely and there are nice views from there. There are some cute little shops there for trinkets.

Malaga is a nice little town with hanging baskets and beautiful buildings. It is quaint. I really enjoyed it.

Archived