Cruising Princess out of San Pedro in January

sunneesmile

We are cruising Princess out of San Pedro in January 2010 and flying into LAX one day in advance. I want to stay as close to the cruise terminal as possible, as opposed to staying near the a/p.

Can anyone recommend a hotel that might have a shuttle from the a/p and then also from the hotel to the cruise terminal?

Also, we will need to do some shopping to buy wine to take on board. Any suggestions for a hotel that might have all the above AND be near shopping?

You see, I want it ALL! ;)

Thanks for your input!

Evidently the Double Tree Inn is now offer a package which included a shuttle from LAX but it is no bargin. To my knowledge the Crowne Plaza does not have such a package. Both of the above hotels offer free shuttles to the cruise terminal though. You best bet is to bid for a room on Priceline, San Pedro, 3* and you should end up with a room at the CP or the DTI for $65 to $85 pn, then take Super Shuttle or Prime Time Shuttle for $17 pp from LAX to the hotel.

Evidently the Double Tree Inn is now offer a package which included a shuttle from LAX but it is no bargin. To my knowledge the Crowne Plaza does not have such a package. Both of the above hotels offer free shuttles to the cruise terminal though. You best bet is to bid for a room on Priceline, San Pedro, 3* and you should end up with a room at the CP or the DTI for $65 to $85 pn, then take Super Shuttle or Prime Time Shuttle for $17 pp from LAX to the hotel.

Thanks putterdude. Do you suppose I will have a good chance of getting a shuttle that may be headed out to San Pedro and not have to drive around LA for hours?

Also, if I stayed at CP....would I be able to find a store there that sells wine. In CA, are the wine/liquor stores state mandated stores, or do grocery and drug stores sell wine?

Thanks again

Thanks putterdude. Do you suppose I will have a good chance of getting a shuttle that may be headed out to San Pedro and not have to drive around LA for hours?

Also, if I stayed at CP....would I be able to find a store there that sells wine. In CA, are the wine/liquor stores state mandated stores, or do grocery and drug stores sell wine?

Thanks again

You'll be pleasantly surprised to learn that you can walk into drug stores, grocery stores, and even some Targets to find wine. There are also stores specializing in wine (one in San Pedro is owned by a CC member, Off the Vine, so you can probably check out the various San Pedro threads and find one of his posts). You can even buy alcohol on Sundays (I lived in Missouri for a couple of years when there were Blue Laws so it was shocking to me that one couldn't buy items like children's toys on Sundays).

Certainly if you stay at the Crowne Plaza or Doubletree, you'll won't be far from these stores. In fact, it will be a better situation than staying near the airport, where you're more likely to see strip malls featuring seedy stores and strip clubs. But the odds are you will need to spend some money on a shuttle to get you from LAX to San Pedro. Many people recommend Super Shuttle; there's also some other shuttle companies. The SP hotels will undoubtedly take you to the port of LA for free, no problem, on the day of your cruise.

Thanks again

First question is the shuttles run directly from LAX to San Pedro but you may spend 15 or 20 mins waiting for your van to fill for the trip to SP.

Up 6th Street from the CP there is a great wine store operated by a frequent poster on this forum, Off the Vine. If you contact him he will even have your wine waiting for you at your hotel. link

You'll be pleasantly surprised to learn that you can walk into drug stores' date=' grocery stores, and even some Targets to find wine. There are also stores specializing in wine (one in San Pedro is owned by a CC member, Off the Vine, so you can probably check out the various San Pedro threads and find one of his posts). You can even buy alcohol on Sundays (I lived in Missouri for a couple of years when there were Blue Laws so it was shocking to me that one couldn't buy items like children's toys on Sundays).

Certainly if you stay at the Crowne Plaza or Doubletree, you'll won't be far from these stores. In fact, it will be a better situation than staying near the airport, where you're more likely to see strip malls featuring seedy stores and strip clubs. But the odds are you will need to spend some money on a shuttle to get you from LAX to San Pedro. Many people recommend Super Shuttle; there's also some other shuttle companies. The SP hotels will undoubtedly take you to the port of LA for free, no problem, on the day of your cruise.[/quote']

I may set our flight to get in a little earlier than I had planned, so we can at least have a nice dinner in SP. THANKS for the info.

First question is the shuttles run directly from LAX to San Pedro but you may spend 15 or 20 mins waiting for your van to fill for the trip to SP.

Up 6th Street from the CP there is a great wine store operated by a frequent poster on this forum, Off the Vine. If you contact him he will even have your wine waiting for you at your hotel. link

Putterdude...thanks for info and link. I am feeling better now about having to spend 25K miles to get to LAX. AA is such a con artist with their miles. But living in Dallas, we still have too many issues getting out to CA on SW w/o having stops.

Here are my recs for dining in Downtown San Pedro:

7th Street Chophouse (steakhouse)

http://www.7thstreetchophouse.com/live/

Beach City Grill (eclectic)

http://www.yelp.com/biz/beach-city-grill-san-pedro

Raffaello's (Italian)

http://www.yelp.com/biz/raffaello-ristorante-san-pedro

San Pedro Brewing Company (eclectic)

http://sanpedrobrewing.com/

Neil's (Italian)

http://www.neilspasta.com/Info.html

Think Cafe (eclectic)

http://www.yelp.com/biz/think-cafe-san-pedro

Porky's BBQ*

http://www.yelp.com/biz/porkys-bbq-san-pedro

Alcapulco's (Mexican)

http://www.yelp.com/biz/acapulco-mex...tina-san-pedro

Whale and Ale (English Pub)

http://www.whaleandale.com/

If you are staying at the Crowne Plaza you can walk up to 6th and Centre Street and have breakfast at Nosh (on Centre Street) Or, just a bit further up the street at the corner of 6th and Pacific is the San Pedro Cafe. Great breakfast and friendly service. Omelette and Waffle shop is great as is Pacific Diner (Pacific and 38th) but you need to take a shuttle to get to both. Rex's Cafe on Pacific and 22nd street is another fantastic option and you can walk there from the DT or shuttle from CP. Grinder is a safe bet for breakfast...it's Denny's with a different name.

Both the Doubletree as well as the Crowne Plaza offer packages that include shuttle to and from LAX, breakfast for 2, drinks for 2 and complimentary shuttle to the port. They also both offer "Park and Stay" packages if you want to leave your car at the hotel. Neither lot is guarded.

Enterprise is located next to the Crowne Plaza but Doubletree has an Enterprise table inside the lobby. If you want to drop your car off at the hotel, they contact Enterprise and arrange for you to drop off your car/keys.

We are cruising Princess out of San Pedro in January 2010 and flying into LAX one day in advance. I want to stay as close to the cruise terminal as possible, as opposed to staying near the a/p.

Can anyone recommend a hotel that might have a shuttle from the a/p and then also from the hotel to the cruise terminal?

Also, we will need to do some shopping to buy wine to take on board. Any suggestions for a hotel that might have all the above AND be near shopping?

You see, I want it ALL! ;)

Thanks for your input!

do you mean january 2011?

• 2 weeks later...
We are cruising Princess out of San Pedro in January 2010 and flying into LAX one day in advance.

What date do you sail? We are leaving on Jan 29th 2011 (same ship and same cruise) and do not see you on our roll call.:confused:

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
WE booked the Doubletree on Priceline just now for $75. Now to find the places to purchase our wine!

Hey Teresa,

We are staying at the DT on the 3rd and 4th and will have a car so if you need a ride over to the wine store let us know. I think we are planning dinner at the San Pedro Brewing Company one of those nights so Dale can try out their micro-brewery beers. I'm sure I will have to hit the wine store before we board, LOL, :pBarb

Archived